Rumor: Next Xbox Will Have ARM CPU, Windows 9 Core

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]southernshark[/nom]I want blueray to die. So I don't want a console with a blue ray player. Lets face it the future is not in spinning disks but rather downloads, steaming media, and if you need a physical copy of something, then memory cards.[/citation]

The hell with that. I sure don't want my entertainment to be dependent upon someone else's servers that I have no control over. If everything is downloaded (or worse, streamed), then there will probably be some sort of online verification process. We already have some server problems with online gaming for pc's. Making console gaming like that will make things even worse.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
W[citation][nom]mchuf[/nom]The hell with that. I sure don't want my entertainment to be dependent upon someone else's servers that I have no control over. If everything is downloaded (or worse, streamed), then there will probably be some sort of online verification process. We already have some server problems with online gaming for pc's. Making console gaming like that will make things even worse.[/citation] Well most of us know what an SD memory card is.... hopefully new consoles will have SD slots (they should). You can use those to store things on. They are tougher than a spinning disk and easier to store. I personally don't understand why blueray was ever even introduced. SD cards hold more memory.... the use of a spinning disk is moronic at best.

G

SD cards (for equivalent space for a Bluray disc) cost WAY more than a single disc and SD cards have a very low bandwith. :\

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Goldengoose[/nom]Hurry up and bring some up-to-date consoles out. Tired of these sh*t ports.[/citation]

I am tired of shit ports , but not tired of the fact that my 3 year old computer can still rock every game that hits shelves right now. i really don't look forward to a new console , because the year one releases is the year that i'll ahve to put pc gmaing on hold till i can afford a new computer (which only god knows when that will be).

[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]A next generation Xbox would indeed be nice.[/citation]

yes it would be , but only for the rich. hell the 360 came out in 2005 and i didnt even get one till 2009 . very likely i wont be able to afford a new xbox when one comes out.

[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]Having several separate cores for AI, physics, etc. only makes development and porting between platforms more difficult.Keep it simple![/citation]

I agree the people that gave you thumbs down obviously arnt thinking things through. from botha development point and a consummer point , complex console ahrdware is a bitch on teh idustry . for devs it' emans longer production times , times taht a publisher might not want to afford this means the PC get's less focus and less ports as publishers will want thier game on the new console , and wil not want to pay the expense of doing ports , or multiplatform releases.

[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]I want them to disappear altogether. That simple.[/citation]

this is the biggest jack ass thing i ever heard on toms. get real , you think only the rich should be able to play games ?? is that it? let me guess next you'll say you want poor people to disappear right ? orTV's ? I'mre ally so sick of seeing post like this. consoles offer a lwoer cost more portable device than a computer , sure you can build a Lan box , but most lan boxes rather self built or store bought cost a good deal more than a standard PC. same with lap tops as well. face the facts consoles wont disappear any time soon because thier is stil a market demand for them. they will die gaming dies a mainstream form of media , which isn't likely to happen.

now don't get me wrong in all these replies , i don't hate PC infact i do more on my computer game wise than i ever will do witha console. i'm in school for game art design , and 60% of the games i own and play are on PC (thats a lot of games considering i own over 600 games from past consoles to PC games). I consider myself a PC gamer , that also hapens to play consoel games as well. the reason you ask ? simple there are just some games that are impossible to pull off comfortably with a mouse and keyboard, just like some gneres are better suited to PC period.

anonymous32111

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
1 Xbox 360 is more than enough DLC crammed, ad-infested, bloatware for me.

Don't get me wrong, I love playing Halo, Gears of War, Forza 4 etc, but i'll be damned if they don't nickle and dime you for just about every feature usable.

Guess my point is, you wont find me buying a new Xbox in 2013 with a fresh installment of Modern Warfare 4 or some such thing. Maybe more like MW5 at the rate they're going.

Like halcyon said above me, not sure how much value they can bring to consoles in the future. Not going to spend 300 bucks + DLC out the ass every time they come out with a new model.
Think i'll stick with computer gaming.

ironmb

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
I'm trying to wonder how stupid this guy felt when he was typing this. The part cost alone MIGHT be cheaper but everyone knows (in the real world) that a "new" product will not be cheaper than its counterpart. God this dude is an idiot.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Is ARM really that much more efficient than x86? or is MS going to experiment with a new architecture? I understand that it doesn't perform as well as x86, but enough small things can make a big thing, though it'd be crazy if it was able to use many parts to achieve greater speed and still use less power than, say, an intel cpu capable of doing the same thing by itself (mostly). What do you guys think?

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]billybobser[/nom]to be honest, consoles should be coming to an end, their blending into a pc.Really, all you need is a branded box which is essentially a pc, with a custom ui/peripheralsPort issues solved, and games would be made to run at that standard.Maybe custom mobo etc to solve space/power issues[/citation]
So to phase out consoles, your solution is to replace them with a "branded box that is essentially a PC, only customized and standardized for games"...

...so how is that ANY different from a console?

Northwestern

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Already have a 360, and it's only a year old. I have no reason to buy a new one anytime soon. Especially when PCs are readily available while easier (AND CHEAPER) to upgrade.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
I've been saying for a couple years now that ARM with SoC is the future for PCs. Makes perfect sense to me that MS will try it out on an Xbox first. Integrate RAM, BIOS, and GPU onto the chip and you got a very tidy, efficient package.

bri88

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Really, i think Micosoft should move there gaming over to pc.You can already chat with players on 360 from pc, kinect works with pc. They should just make an application on windows and sell it for a reasonable price.That application would only read "xbox" type games, and Xbox type games will only work in that app. To even things out for rich and poor alike, they, within the app, could have a standard setting for hardware( vid cards limited to 2 gigs, or something like that.) i personally like pc gamming, but if someone has a better pc they have an advantige, while xbox is even for all (well depending on internet speeds). A new xbox may sell for $500 or so, decent computers can be bought for that price. I understand some people dont know much abot computers, so like Companies do for Windows they could put "certified for xbox gaming", for ones theat have pc's MS could run a min. requirements test, if the pc dont meet the min specs, it would offer ideals. so with in the app a $1500 pc would be equal to a $500 pc. i dont know just a thought.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
This radical change probably means more difficult ports to PC. Hopefully that means people will start developing FOR THE PC instead of just porting. Or it could backfire and people will stop porting games altogether, significantly reducing the availability of games for the PC market. I just paid for a $2000 gaming rig, if that happens I'm going to be extremely pissed, as my gaming rig should last through more than just 2013.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Hahahaha what is this the joke of the day?

It would have to be like a 12+ core ARM cpu, and still come short in speed.

powerpc is a very powerful processor compared to arm, and not even x86 can come close. ARM would never be able to compete with it.

Also just because the next xbox will run windows/mobile/ce etc doesn't means it will be arm, as the current xbox has its own os and directx etc and it isn't x86.

Also the new cpu/gpu is pretty compact, so I don't see what would be the benefit by going ARM, If anything the new xbox will have more powerpc cores probably at the same speed, and either a dual/tri graphics setup (just stack the cores as Microsoft already owns the ip), or a new improved graphics core so it can support in game physics. This way it will be backward compatible, and games can have added support for enhanced features and still work for the old console.

Remember not every game worked with the xbox 360 that was for xbox, and that killed a big library, so I don't think Microsfot will go threw that again, and emulation for powerpc on an ARM would suck hell, and end up being as slow as thew xbox. So whoever thought microsoft would go ARM is an idiot. Also powerpc cores can be made just as small, if not even smaller then ARM, and to license powerpc would cost less then ARM. ANd since Microsoft already owns the ip, why make the change?

G

@silverblue

it's a console, i dont envisage them to be doing non linear computational dynamic fluid analysis anytime soon. An ARM chip cycle for cycle on simplistic operations will always be more efficient then your standard x86 chip, it loses out in high performance computing due to the requirement that more complex operations would require multiple CPU cycles to resolve (where as a traditional x86 may only take just 1 cycle), whats the bet 80% of the instructions set on a sandy bridge will go under utilized in a console, and really we know the majority of the brute force will be done on the GPU core for consoles

also bear in mind A15 is due out next year and can hit 2.5GHz speeds and scale to 8 cores and beyond

not saying these things are going spank ivy bridge, or even a sandy bridge, but for their purposes, plenty of power

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
Don't forget that the new Xbox has the be better then current mainstream computers. SO arm is out of the question. Ever seen how fast the i7 is with nvidia/ATI graphics? THe new xbox has a lot to live up to, and it won't do that running arm.

HMRkingpin

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
I am glad they are waiting to release it. That means more people will switch back to PC for gaming until the next gen consoles can match the same graphical ability. Take BF3 for example, looks way better than ps3 if you run it on ultra @ 1920x1080 or higher. Just sucks you need a gtx 580 to do that (or sli 560ti). What is crazy is I am running a gtx 580 and it is at 99% usage and sometimes the frames drop into the upper 30's.

xenol

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
[citation][nom]billybobser[/nom]to be honest, consoles should be coming to an end, their blending into a pc.Really, all you need is a branded box which is essentially a pc, with a custom ui/peripheralsPort issues solved, and games would be made to run at that standard.Maybe custom mobo etc to solve space/power issues[/citation]
Funny you say that. Aside from one of Namco's and Capcom's arcade boards (which are console based), most of the recent arcade boards are basically custom PCs either running Linux or Windows Embedded.

Status
Not open for further replies.