Rumor: Next Xbox Won't Appear Until E3 2013

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Consoles are for convenience not the experience. But PC's are getting more convenient and easy to use, And those 2 year away consoles aren't so convenient ;)

G

Any console released now will have to last 5-10 years to recoup profits. And right now the most profitable part of any console's lifetime. Better for everyone to wait so it won't cost an arm and a leg and we get better hardware too.

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
[citation][nom]CPU666d1[/nom]Does not worry me. I use the pc to play games.[/citation]

It should. If there was a new gen of consoles released tomorrow the PC games would look alot better then they do now.

spentshells

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2006
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Ha and my PC which is now 6 generations ahead of consoles in tech will be twice that by then. This is great news if your 13-17. Meanwhile back to playing BF3 at 2560 x 1600 res, 16gb ddr3, 2 x GTX 580s 3gb versions in SLI, 2600k @ 4.7 ...enough said![/citation]

Soldier you gotta stop doing that to me, breaks my heart any time you post pictures or I see a rundown of your machine, Always weepig core2 tears.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]spentshells[/nom]Soldier you gotta stop doing that to me, breaks my heart any time you post pictures or I see a rundown of your machine, Always weepig core2 tears.[/citation]
It's for bragging rites. Most of his comments even on the forums are about his specs and pics. Nothing productive. Great system, but it's not enthusiast/PC gamer-like to rub it in other people's faces. Gives us a bad name...

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]hannibal[/nom]"Good news" to PC owners. They don't need to upgrade thein Nvidia 8800 or ATI 1800 series GPU until after 2013... We will get DX9 console ports at least two more years, and some after... because it takes some time to push good games to new consoles.Well, actually this is something that has been expecting allready. New consoles are coming in 2 to 3 years from now. 2013 to 2015. It kind of make sense. Only really interesting new GPU tech has been tessalation, and those GPU's that can do tessalation fast enough are too expensive to consoles at this moment. A couple of years can make them affordable...[/citation]

actually Tessellation (aka Displacment mapping) is stil in it's infancy as far as real time rending , I'm betting game developers will likely work on an "optimized" implementation of it for the next gen consoles. or ditch it all together in favor of higher poly counts , which in the end it really doesn't matter which way things go the end result is the same - more polys on screen the difference is is that dis palcment mappign can generate those extra polys with out actually having them modeled in but the results look the same compared to jsut making things higher in poly count.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Ha and my PC which is now 6 generations ahead of consoles in tech will be twice that by then. This is great news if your 13-17. Meanwhile back to playing BF3 at 2560 x 1600 res, 16gb ddr3, 2 x GTX 580s 3gb versions in SLI, 2600k @ 4.7 ...enough said![/citation]

You said you have a Phenom II 955 a few times... your config is changing every day, I see! :D Don't throw around age insults. Not everyone below 18 is a "console kiddie", and not every console player is a teenager. I'm a PC-only player since I started gaming (10 or something?) and I never wanted a console just because it's "cool".

[citation][nom]spentshells[/nom]Soldier you gotta stop doing that to me, breaks my heart any time you post pictures or I see a rundown of your machine, Always weepig core2 tears.[/citation]

Then you're feeding the troll.

[citation][nom]AbdullahG[/nom]It's for bragging rites. Most of his comments even on the forums are about his specs and pics. Nothing productive. Great system, but it's not enthusiast/PC gamer-like to rub it in other people's faces. Gives us a bad name...[/citation]

Exactly. Moreover, he often bashes other people who spent less on their systems... meanwhile, there're people on this forum whose systems cost way more and yet they're not throwing their specs out on every comment thread... I can understand the console hate and share it myself, but I don't go around shouting how my GTX 560 Ti kicks every console's ass in gaming (although itt's true) I just say that consoles are ridiculous :)

[citation][nom]CPU666d1[/nom]Does not worry me. I use the pc to play games.[/citation]

In theory, it shouldn't worry you. In practice, that's what influences games' quality on the PC, so you SHOULD be worried.

Me, I'm mostly worried about the games' gameplay and storyline nowadays. I love good graphics, but recently the majority of the games can't surprise you with anything innovative, it's always the same plot, same shooting, same gameplay... I want more unique games (Mirror's Edge, Mass Effect, Just Cause 2 and Space Marine were all quite good in that aspect) that don't make me Alt-Tab out of the game to check what I'm playing - CoD, BFBC2 and all other FPS look exactly the same nowadays (Crysis would, too, if not for the superior graphicS).

So what I'm afraid of the most is that from now on the developers are going to focus on different control methods instead of gameplay. Look at ridiculous Kinect which they advertise so much for Mass Effect 3 - does that bring anything useful to the gameplay? No. Is it a good way to earn money? Yes, because console players only b!tch about PC gaming being "expensive" to PC gamers and in fact are always ready to waste more cash for adding some BS functionality to their console.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]console gaming isn't dead, but it's slowly getting there. n3ds didn't take off until nintendo offered a big price cut and their 3d hurt users' eyes. smartphones, tablets and their os have made major strides in development and they're still developing at a rapid pace while consoles have very long development cycle. pc gaming is making a comeback with new hardwares. present smartphones, tablets, gfx cards even igps can directly connect to tv.i don't see how consoles fit into this new post-console era(never liked them in the first place, they seemed like underpowered specialized pcs that doesn't have upgradable hardware and very restrictive softwares(sony)). >[/citation]

now you sound just like those consoel fanboys that cry how pc gaming is dying .

well guess what , console gaming isn't dying ,PC gaming isn't dying , mobile gaming isn't dying . sading fanboyism isn't dying either. of all the things i just listed there the thign that NEEDS to f---ing die , is teh stupid fanboyism.

Facts:
Console Positives:
Consoles are WAY beter for fighting games like street Fighter or mortal kombat
Consoles are generally better for third person action adventure games
Consoles are WAY better for sports games
Console Negatives:
Consoles require controller usage
Consoles graphics are weak compared to PC
Consoles always tend to overheat and they can double as toasters.

PC Positives:
PC is WAY better for FPSer games
PC is WAY better for RTS games
PC generally better for simulator games (racing flying)

PC Negatives:
PC at times can be quickly outdated requiring expensive upgrades
PC's cost a lot more to game at the top of the ladder
PC's are a wast if all you get one for is games.

Moblie gaming Positive:
Mobile gaming is great for casual games

Mobile gaming Negatives:
tiny screens
tiny buttons

Fanboy positives:
They provide great humor for tehr est of us if only a little , usually up to the poitn they start beconing annoying
They Never have to worry about kids or girlfriends bugging thier games
They never have to worry about awkward social moments!

Fanboy Negatives:
Fanboiys are gay whiney pussies
Fanboys usually have no life
Fanboys Miss out on a lot of fun becasue they refuse to try out the "other" guys thing.
Fanboys never have to worry aobut kids of a girlfriend bugging thier game.

as you may note i'm not a fanboy on ANY regard ,
Sure i msotly play PC games but then again i'm less picky on pc gmaes , console games i'm very picky about and i rarely go on "binge" console game buying , while i often do this on Steam for pc (and truth be told only a handful of those games were ever worth more than the 5 bucks i paid for them).

lately i play my xbox 360 jsut as much as i play my pc games , and if i had the money i'd own a Wii and a PS3 too , as for mobile gaming i'l do it when i'm going mobile on a long car trip but to trying to convence yoruself that console gaming is dying just so you can look smarter for pickign your favorite paltform , is just weak pussy shit. admmiting that console gaming is not dying will not magically make your platform of choice less viable itself

All paltforms have a secure future for the time so stop being a fanboy and spouting crap like this

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]It appears that some poor woman has gotten lost and wandered away from the kitchen and is touching her owner's... err I mean husbands things. Poor thing can't even figure out how a TV works and is sitting way too far off on the side.Men, please do not let this happen in your home. If a woman is allowed to wander freely she can possibly get hurt, and more importantly your belongings may get damaged. A standard door lock will normally do the trick, simply lock them in. In rare cases you may need to restrain their movements a bit more in which a strong leash and collar combo will do the trick.[/citation]

i got two words for you

Mysoginistic Asshole

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]AndrewMD[/nom]If you are a PC gamer then continue to be a PC gamer, if you don't like consoles, Microsoft or any other company for that matter are not pointing a gun to your head to buy one. [/citation]

Actually the consoles play a huge role nowadays when it comes to PC gaming. Because PC exclusive games are rare today games are now having to suffer from any real advancement which they are long over do. While consoles are always behind it has grown to the point of not being acceptable anymore. Even developers such as Epic have expressed this.

At this point I believe PC gamers have a reason to be angry at the consoles and even the console gamers should be upset. It's not just graphics that are being held back but more advanced physics in games to even larger games. Take Battlefield 3 for example, the maps on the consoles will be scaled down because the consoles just cannot handle the player amount and map size that the PC version can. If I was a console gamer getting a severely handicapped version of a game would not be acceptable to me.

So, even if we PC gamers do not spend a dime on the consoles we are still being effected by their lack of advancement.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]It appears that some poor woman has gotten lost and wandered away from the kitchen and is touching her owner's... err I mean husbands things. Poor thing can't even figure out how a TV works and is sitting way too far off on the side.Men, please do not let this happen in your home. If a woman is allowed to wander freely she can possibly get hurt, and more importantly your belongings may get damaged. A standard door lock will normally do the trick, simply lock them in. In rare cases you may need to restrain their movements a bit more in which a strong leash and collar combo will do the trick.[/citation]
How is that even relevant to this article? GTFO.

njt

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]I don't mind waiting if the girl in that picture is included *sarcasm*[/citation]
that is one of the dumbest comments ever. why do people even bother commenting with contributions like that?

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Begs the question, if you could have your pick today, what would you take the girl in the pick, or the Xbox Next?

I know what I would do, I'd get the XBox and sell it, and then buy the girl!!!!

Phyrexiancure

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
[citation][nom]omnimodis78[/nom]And therein lies the problem with anybody who bashes either platforms. I was a console gamer up until the GameCube years, and the appeal of console gaming is A) inexpensive, B) convenient, C) better experience. Though I am now a PC gamer, I know exactly what is causing the console vs PC gaming wars, and it has nothing to do with the platforms themselves, but with lazy and unprofessional game publishers who deliberately neglect properly porting console games to the PC, and publishers who made their fortunes and reputations through the PC-gamers financial support, but now pretend like we don't exist. Blame the game developers/publishers, not the platforms or those who chose to use one above the other!
[/citat[citation][nom]njt[/nom]that is one of the dumbest comments ever. why do people even bother
commenting with contributions like that?[/citation]
Your sir are an enabler. People like you allow us browse to be marginalized.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]now you sound just like those consoel fanboys that cry how pc gaming is dying . well guess what , console gaming isn't dying ,PC gaming isn't dying , mobile gaming isn't dying . sading fanboyism isn't dying either. of all the things i just listed there the thign that NEEDS to f---ing die , is teh stupid fanboyism. Facts:Console Positives:Consoles are WAY beter for fighting games like street Fighter or mortal kombat Consoles are generally better for third person action adventure games Consoles are WAY better for sports games Console Negatives:Consoles require controller usage Consoles graphics are weak compared to PCConsoles always tend to overheat and they can double as toasters.PC Positives:pC is WAY better for FPSer games PC is WAY better for RTS games PC generally better for simulator games (racing flying) PC Negatives:pC at times can be quickly outdated requiring expensive upgradesPC's cost a lot more to game at the top of the ladderPC's are a wast if all you get one for is games.Moblie gaming Positive:Mobile gaming is great for casual games Mobile gaming Negatives:tiny screens tiny buttons Fanboy positives: They provide great humor for tehr est of us if only a little , usually up to the poitn they start beconing annoyingThey Never have to worry about kids or girlfriends bugging thier games They never have to worry about awkward social moments! Fanboy Negatives:Fanboiys are gay whiney pussies Fanboys usually have no lifeFanboys Miss out on a lot of fun becasue they refuse to try out the "other" guys thing.Fanboys never have to worry aobut kids of a girlfriend bugging thier game. as you may note i'm not a fanboy on ANY regard , Sure i msotly play PC games but then again i'm less picky on pc gmaes , console games i'm very picky about and i rarely go on "binge" console game buying , while i often do this on Steam for pc (and truth be told only a handful of those games were ever worth more than the 5 bucks i paid for them).lately i play my xbox 360 jsut as much as i play my pc games , and if i had the money i'd own a Wii and a PS3 too , as for mobile gaming i'l do it when i'm going mobile on a long car trip but to trying to convence yoruself that console gaming is dying just so you can look smarter for pickign your favorite paltform , is just weak pussy shit. admmiting that console gaming is not dying will not magically make your platform of choice less viable itself All paltforms have a secure future for the time so stop being a fanboy and spouting crap like this[/citation]

i just want to address the pros and cons part

the pc doesn't cost more to game on than a console. people already have a pc, even a bare bones pc can come with a quad core today, the cost to make that computer a gameing computer is about 100$-800$ depending on the card you want to put in it.

i have a 5770, and i have yot to encounter a game i cant max and have playable frame rates that wasn't due to a bug in the game engine, and i play at 1920x1200 full screen and 1920x1800 windowed

for a console, the controller is a moot point, at least for me, because i refuse to play fpses rtses and anything like that on them, and basicly every other kind of game lends itself well to a controller, and dare i say, the wiiu will be the first console to do an mmo without the need of a keyboard mouse setup and may do it right.

iceman1992

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I don't really care if they release a new console in 2015 or 2020. I am a PC gamer, it doesn't directly affect me. All I care about is PC games not getting bogged down by aging consoles

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]iceman1992[/nom]I don't really care if they release a new console in 2015 or 2020. I am a PC gamer, it doesn't directly affect me. All I care about is PC games not getting bogged down by aging consoles[/citation]

i see that as a good thing, because remember before current gen consoles, how often games would try to one up each other on the pc, almost to the point of requiring a yearly upgrade.

i really dont mind if the pollys are held back, at least this way when the jump happens its meaningfull, and not superficial,

it also helps us because engines get optomised, and we never have to have another crysis like game, where its pretty as hell, but the engine was such crap it required how much to run it, and how long was it before the game was playable maxed out?

jms22

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
Nuclear has very good points, but despite all the shortcomings or limitations people are going to continue to play on consoles. Reputable game developers are making huge amounts of money from them and when the new Xbox Next or PS4 comes out people are going to camp out and stomp on each other to be the first to buy it. That's just the way it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.