Rumor: PlayStation 4 Coming 2012, Will Bring Kinect-like Motion Control

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Graphics power doesn't need to be that powerful, the resolution is only ever going to be 1920x1080 and capped at 60fps, they can do that with 3 year old graphics chips.

3D isn't that hard either, so apart from touting a motion controller that is direct ripoff of Kinect and a swiss-cheese security network, exactly what does the PS4 have to offer?

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
way to early for ps3. a console a`d to run for at least 8 years before a replacement. the games for the bloody thing is only now reaching almost 100% of the system. but xbox is about done and wii is also out of the game.

Dark Comet

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2008
[citation][nom]elcentral[/nom]way to early for ps3. a console a`d to run for at least 8 years before a replacement. the games for the bloody thing is only now reaching almost 100% of the system. but xbox is about done and wii is also out of the game.[/citation]

Console vs PC, yes there's a big difference worth talking about. PS3 V Xbox 360? The difference is too small for anyone to care about. The only big difference I've seen is when the PS3 first came out and had awful versions of multi-platform games.

[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Graphics power doesn't need to be that powerful, the resolution is only ever going to be 1920x1080 and capped at 60fps, they can do that with 3 year old graphics chips.3D isn't that hard either, so apart from touting a motion controller that is direct ripoff of Kinect and a swiss-cheese security network, exactly what does the PS4 have to offer?[/citation]

Resolution isn't the only thing that drops frame rate. Most PC games run at 1080P and are still upgrading their graphics cards.

dreamcoyote

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
also remember that bringing Kinect-like functionality to the PS4 will ensure that they can get ports of any killer game developed for Kinect. Letting Microsoft have a functionality gap means they are giving Mickey$oft exclusive titles and potentially killer casual gamer titles (if one should come around).
I hope they support real DLNA and music management. They've left the same lame audio player sitting there for years. let us control playlists via PC or something! if you want to be the media hub of the house, you have to go all the way..
I would think it would have to support PS3 games. as systems become more powerful it takes longer to develop content (deeper graphics take more time, etc) so they may follow their previous strategy - support PS3 games on a more expensive version of the console and kill that off after a while so you push people to PS4 games instead of the cheaper PS3 catalog.
what would be neat to see: bring back the dual HDMI for some serious couch-coop :D

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Dark Comet[/nom]Console vs PC, yes there's a big difference worth talking about. PS3 V Xbox 360? The difference is too small for anyone to care about. The only big difference I've seen is when the PS3 first came out and had awful versions of multi-platform games.
Resolution isn't the only thing that drops frame rate. Most PC games run at 1080P and are still upgrading their graphics cards.[/citation]
Don't know about you but I can play at 2560 x 1600 and regularly stomp over 100fps, DX11, AA, AF, HDR - and I haven't upgraded my graphics in nearly 2 years.
Don't confuse PC gamers limitation of resolution being anything to do with the graphics cards, it is the monitors they use.
But even if you plugged your PS3 into my Dell 30" it would still only do HD because thats the limit on the hardware.

PC gaming FTW!!!

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
Of course, Sony already has its own motion-controlled platform (Move), which utilizes a special wand that is tracked by the PlayStation Eye.
...and compared to Kinect, it turned out to be a dud. That's why, Sony wants something like Kinect!

darkxuy

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2009
Resolution has nothing to do with a game graphics quality.
Yes, the bigger the resolution the better its displayed (and the harder the graphic card has to push), but when i say killer graphics i mean the capability of higher polycount, lights, textures, effects, etc..

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
[citation][nom]Marco925[/nom]Lets hope it isnt bloody expensive like the PS3[/citation]
Wonder if the Crapbox 720 will have a 50+% failure rate and the MS fanboys will still say it is the best.

4th floor

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
PS4 from sony has had most of it's specs nailed down for about 6months already. It will include a refreshed Cell processor with a few new instuctions, double the cache, all 8 cores functionable at ~4Ghz. The graphic chip will be from AMD and be roughly equal to 6870 but with a modified arch. The Blu-Ray will be sped up to a 12X drive and be able to read BDXL discs. The biggest change though will be 8 times the PS3s ram as well as a 2TB Hdd with the capability to serve as DVR with select cable providers. Also expect rear and front USB 3 ports and the controllers to be via BT 3. It will play PS3 games as well as PS2 and PSX games, but no Linux this time around. They are aiming at a lauch price of $399 but it's not set in stone yet and $449 is a real possiblity initially. Also expect 2013 holiday season not 2014.

G

[citation][nom]4th floor[/nom]PS4 from sony has had most of it's specs nailed down for about 6months already. It will include a refreshed Cell processor with a few new instuctions, double the cache, all 8 cores functionable at ~4Ghz. The graphic chip will be from AMD and be roughly equal to 6870 but with a modified arch. The Blu-Ray will be sped up to a 12X drive and be able to read BDXL discs. The biggest change though will be 8 times the PS3s ram as well as a 2TB Hdd with the capability to serve as DVR with select cable providers. Also expect rear and front USB 3 ports and the controllers to be via BT 3. It will play PS3 games as well as PS2 and PSX games, but no Linux this time around. They are aiming at a lauch price of $399 but it's not set in stone yet and $449 is a real possiblity initially. Also expect 2013 holiday season not 2014.[/citation]

Citation?

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
[citation][nom]ReggieRay[/nom]Wonder if the Crapbox 720 will have a 50+% failure rate and the MS fanboys will still say it is the best.[/citation]

sony fanboy?

siman0

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
PS3 wasn’t that expensive for its release, 99.9% of people didn’t do the math on how much all the 360 addons costed to equal the PS3. The HD-DVD fail thing, wireless networking, ect... if you added it all up you were about $80-100 over the price of the PS3. Red rings/red dots headache of the dumb power brick, its eventual replacement, lack of HDMI, Optical Audio out, card readers, Bluetooth, ect... just made the 360 a pain. Also before the yelling of fan boy comes out, no, I'm not a fan boy I have all 3 systems to this day. I'm on my original PS3 and Wii, but I’m on my 6th Xbox and the only thing i play on it is Halo and its affiliated games. As to the PC vs Console ummm "war" consoles will -=(NEVER!)=- have power no matter what generation, PC will have better CPU, memory, graphics, storage, ect... But console was -=(NEVER!)=- made for that. A console is made to be the portable fun box, which I can take with me on vacation. It is a box that I don’t have to pay 2000-5000 to play the latest games on. I know this because I got a rack mounted server case housing my mondo water-cooled "beast machine". With that said good day to you ladies and gentlemen.

4th floor

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
No Citation, just my word, take it or leave it. SDKs will be released a year before lauch so it'll be out in the public then.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Well the actual Kinect technology came from a 3rd party and originally offered it to Sony for the PS3 but was rejected. MS took the licensing and ran with it. Now Sony looking for handouts...lol.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]siman0[/nom]PS3 wasn’t that expensive for its release, 99.9% of people didn’t do the math on how much all the 360 addons costed to equal the PS3... I'm not a fan boy I have all 3 systems to this day. I'm on my original PS3 and Wii, but I’m on my 6th Xbox ...[/citation]
Yes the PS3 @ $500-$600 vs the xbox 360 @ $300-$400. If you needed/wanted HD movies and wireless networking then the cost of the devices was exactly the same. But for those people that didn't care to pay $200 for wifi and hd-dvd, we didn't have to. Sony didn't make this distinction and partly because of this, they won the hd-dvd vs blue ray battle, but also lost a lot of their playstation customers to microsoft. (Sales figures :ps2 150m, xbox 20m. ps3 50m, xbox 360 55m)

How are you on your 6th xbox, when they have three year warranty's? The most you could have possibly used was 2, and that's if you bought on on release day (11/22/05)

G

It will be backwards comptible with existing PS3 games, it will be a well promoted feature and everyone will be happy. Then 1 yr down the road Sony will decide that you are not longer supposed to have that feature, even though you use it frequently/ it was documented as supporting it / was well recieved, and will disable it in a firmware update that is required to play new PS4 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.