Rumor: Sony May Actually Acquire OnLive or Gaikai

Status
Not open for further replies.

jprahman

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
All of these streaming video/gaming/media services sound nice in theory, but what about the issue of the ISP bandwidth caps, high latency connections, etc. I have a feeling that until those issues are dealt with we may not see these services reach their full potential.

Ninjamonkeh

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
Eventually they want to charge companies like netflix and onlive to have better bandwidth. They cant let because of something to do with net neutrality.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Hmmm...Gaikai i dunno...they seemed to have enough funds to set up those GRID servers...and then by coming under sony they'd be limited to sony's devices...

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
i cant see onlive ever replacing non cloud options, and its not a i don't have the foresight to see it happen kind of thing, its that the internet would need to be faster than light speed to deal with latency.

games like dirt are unplayable even if you live within 50 miles of a server farm for them due to latency, and even if you had a fiber line straight to onlive and back, it would still be far to high of latency.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
So Sony want to give their customers the benefit of latency while capping their internet dataplans instead of running the game in the device, what a nice company!

orionite

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
@alidan Your playability standards are much higher than mine. Light takes only a fraction of a millisecond to travel 100 miles, which is imperceptible to a human. I'm not saying latency is not an issue, but it isn't nearly as dramatic as you claim.

battlecarrysabot

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i cant see onlive ever replacing non cloud options, and its not a i don't have the foresight to see it happen kind of thing, its that the internet would need to be faster than light speed to deal with latency.games like dirt are unplayable even if you live within 50 miles of a server farm for them due to latency, and even if you had a fiber line straight to onlive and back, it would still be far to high of latency.[/citation]

onlive is not supposed to replace anything, and if you think that you should be slapped in the face for such silliness.

battlecarrysabot

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
[citation][nom]orionite[/nom]@alidan Your playability standards are much higher than mine. Light takes only a fraction of a millisecond to travel 100 miles, which is imperceptible to a human. I'm not saying latency is not an issue, but it isn't nearly as dramatic as you claim.[/citation]

no possible way will it take only fraction of a millisecond. you don't just get a direct line to a specific ip, you actually hope to different ip address to get to your final destination

orionite

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
My response was to this: " if you live within 50 miles of a server farm for them due to latency, and even if you had a fiber line straight to onlive and back"

I know that actual latency depends on a number of things, but the speed of light is not what you should be worried about.

gallidorn

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i cant see onlive ever replacing non cloud options, and its not a i don't have the foresight to see it happen kind of thing, its that the internet would need to be faster than light speed to deal with latency.games like dirt are unplayable even if you live within 50 miles of a server farm for them due to latency, and even if you had a fiber line straight to onlive and back, it would still be far to high of latency.[/citation]

Obviously you aren't speaking from experience, because Onlive runs great when you have a decent internet connection. I have 15Mb down and it works great, with NO LAG!

You really should try the service (with a good internet connection) before you condemn it!

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]gallidorn[/nom]Obviously you aren't speaking from experience, because Onlive runs great when you have a decent internet connection. I have 15Mb down and it works great, with NO LAG! You really should try the service (with a good internet connection) before you condemn it![/citation]

100/100 mbit here with insanely low network latency, the onlive can't compare to a real gaming rig by a long-shoot - Why?

Say you play a game on the onlive server connected to a multi-player server out of onlives network, what will happen? You hit the keyboard, the keyboard strike have to be sent to the onlive server that will then send it to the actual game server, it is processed on the game server, sent to the onlive server who needs to process the new gamestate, it will then render that frame in low quality, compress it loosing even more quality, send it to you in video format, your computer decompresses it and finally displays it. Try play a quick game with that, for instance a shooter or a real car game like dirt3! All the extra steps do is causing lot of latency and most people don't even realize the number shown in game is only between the onlive server and the game server, not accounting for for the huge lag producer - render/compress/decompress.

I rather choose - Hit the keyboard, send to the game server, get the response, render it in great quality (2x680sli@2560x1600) and display and its all done.

It sure have its uses when a device lack the power to render / play a game but saying it works great only proves some dont care about quality nor latency. Chess game - Sure!

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]orionite[/nom]@alidan Your playability standards are much higher than mine. Light takes only a fraction of a millisecond to travel 100 miles, which is imperceptible to a human. I'm not saying latency is not an issue, but it isn't nearly as dramatic as you claim.[/citation]

my example could be better, realistically, the lag that the internet would add, even if you had a full fiber from you to them would add lag to it. many games are more than playable on it even with the small amount of lag you get from them, but others, like dirt, are unplayable due to the lag.

[citation][nom]battlecarrysabot[/nom]onlive is not supposed to replace anything, and if you think that you should be slapped in the face for such silliness.[/citation]

well, lets see here. if games are all powered by a server farm like that, than any internet device can play them, no matter how lower power it is.

you get a very high install base.

how paranoid companies are about piracy, i wouldn't doubt that once onlive and internet infrastructure reaches japan level, that they wouldn't make game onlive exclusive. you cant pirate the games, and they have total control over what you can do with them. it also rips the games completely out of your hands, and makes them a full service, something publishers want more than money.

[citation][nom]battlecarrysabot[/nom]no possible way will it take only fraction of a millisecond. you don't just get a direct line to a specific ip, you actually hope to different ip address to get to your final destination[/citation]

at the very best i have heard of 50ms for onlive at optimal distance, that is acceptable for most games, but again, ones like dirt just arent playable with that much lag.

[citation][nom]gallidorn[/nom]Obviously you aren't speaking from experience, because Onlive runs great when you have a decent internet connection. I have 15Mb down and it works great, with NO LAG! You really should try the service (with a good internet connection) before you condemn it![/citation]

have a 50 down 5-10 up line, but i dont live close enough to game on it. most games work fine with onlive, and what i say about dirt comes from people who are great at raceing games, testing the service, and comeing up with the game is unplayable.

see most games allow for some amount of mistake. but when you are playing a racing game, and are actually on the higher end of the spectrum and don't have room for mistakes, that small lag is a killer. if you can ever blame why you lost on lag, its not playable.

another problem that comes with onlive is the image quality, most people wont notice it, but the games dont look as good played over the internet as they do with even a mid range card (100-200$ card) sure some details may be higher, but when you take a screenshot and you can see all the artifacts, thats not acceptable.

lets also not forget that onlive is a type of drm, and that they also charged you to play games on their service before figuring out that business model wouldn't work.

[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]100/100 mbit here with insanely low network latency, the onlive can't compare to a real gaming rig by a long-shoot - Why?Say you play a game on the onlive server connected to a multi-player server out of onlives network, what will happen? You hit the keyboard, the keyboard strike have to be sent to the onlive server that will then send it to the actual game server, it is processed on the game server, sent to the onlive server who needs to process the new gamestate, it will then render that frame in low quality, compress it loosing even more quality, send it to you in video format, your computer decompresses it and finally displays it. Try play a quick game with that, for instance a shooter or a real car game like dirt3! All the extra steps do is causing lot of latency and most people don't even realize the number shown in game is only between the onlive server and the game server, not accounting for for the huge lag producer - render/compress/decompress.I rather choose - Hit the keyboard, send to the game server, get the response, render it in great quality (2x680sli@2560x1600) and display and its all done.It sure have its uses when a device lack the power to render / play a game but saying it works great only proves some dont care about quality nor latency. Chess game - Sure![/citation]

or that they dont play games to the point where the latency matters, the closer you get to the endgame in games, the more it matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.