Rumored iPad 3 Specs Point to Quad-core CPU, LTE Support

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stonedatheist

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]The Asus Transformer Prime is a 5 core tablet.[/citation]

Will people stop calling it a quint-core? Even though it technically has 5 cores, it is functionally a quad-core. sheesh

shaggy981

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
[citation][nom]heezdeadjim[/nom]I'm not seeing how they are getting "quad-core" out of the "S5L8945X" code.30 (one core) to 40 (two cores) is a 10 unit difference. this is 40 to 45 (5 units). Half numbers in the computer world tend to be revised or "slightly better" versions of the previous number (nVidia 280 vs. 285 GTX). Maybe Apple goes by some different code cues, but I highly doubt this will be a quad-core or 2048x1536 rez some are rumoring it to be.[/citation]
I would assume they are saying it is a quad-core because the step between 30 and 40 was a step between two different base ARM core types whereas the step that they would be making here is not a newer base ARM core just that they added more of them, so they add more power without going to a new design. The base ARM core they use can support up to 4 cores I believe and they just decided to use only two for the A5 and will add two more for A6 and the A7, or whatever it is called, will be a new base ARM core

heezdeadjim

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
[citation][nom]shaggy981[/nom]I would assume they are saying it is a quad-core because the step between 30 and 40 was a step between two different base ARM core types whereas the step that they would be making here is not a newer base ARM core just that they added more of them, so they add more power without going to a new design. The base ARM core they use can support up to 4 cores I believe and they just decided to use only two for the A5 and will add two more for A6 and the A7, or whatever it is called, will be a new base ARM core[/citation]

See I can see that happening Shaggy. 40 and 45 would still be the same processor...but slightly better (just add more cores). I didn't know how the numbering system for the ARM cpu's worked...and this makes plenty of sense now...

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
[citation][nom]doive1231[/nom]Tablets are good for saving energy. My 250W desktop doesn't get used till evening or if there's a nice film on.[/citation]

Only 250W that's nothing how about 1kW now that's something to brag about =P

kentlowt

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
an iPad is good for taking up on stage to adjust monitors with on our digital mixer. I need a faster one with more memory so it doesn't lag when making adjustments.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Copybcats...Asus already has a quadcore tablet and it transforms into a netbook... Didn't think I would find use for a tablet but I am finding uses. Mine has become a portable scanner and e-reader that can surf the web and check email. My Samsung phone does alot of these things better though.

Status
Not open for further replies.