Run soundbar and tower speakers simultaneously

Remy_dee

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016
I have a Samsung smart TV that isn't Bluetooth, with a soundbar which also isn't Bluetooth hooked up via optical wire. I purchased Samsung Bluetooth tower speakers and would like for it to run simultaneously with the soundbar. How can I achieve this. I looked into bluetooth and optical splitters and those will only let me run one or the other.

Solution
Turn on the optical output of the TV and turn off the TV internal speakers.
Connect an optical cable from the TV to the splitter. You now have two optical outputs.
Connect an optical cable from the splitter to the soundbar.
Connect an optical cable from the splitter to an EXTERNAL bluetooth transmitter. Pair the BT speakers to it.
That will get you sound out of both but since the optical out is fixed you will have to adjust the volume of the soundbar and BT speakers separately every time you want to change the overall volume. You will not get the same effect as you would with a proper center channel speaker which will primarily play dialogue. I would say use the one that sounds best to you and save up for a real 5.1 system.

Remy_dee

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016

Hi I messaged the seller about that and just like other Bluetooth adapters/splitters it still will only work with one or the other

greens

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
That isn't a splitter in any capacity.

https://www.amazon.com/3-5mm-Audio-Splitter-Speaker-Headphones/dp/B005GNQNHU

You just need one of those, plug the male into your source, plug the female into the Soundbar, plug the other female into the BT transmitter.

Its a physical joining of two wires sending a voltage, i can PROMISE you that it will play from both female ports, whats on the end of them is completely irrelevant.

Remy_dee

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016
my soundbar only has a optical port. Dont think I'll be able to use that? Also wouldn't I lose sound quality with those cables?

greens

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
You already lost quality when it was converted to digital, so i mean no, not really any loss.

Even so, you can use this:

https://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Loudspeaker-OPTICAL-SPLITTER/dp/B0002MQGR2#Ask

I think you're getting confused on the output thing. With what you're trying to do: take one source and send it to two devices, the above will work perfectly with that. When they say it will only work with one source at a time, they literally mean you can take two sources, like a DVD player and a Radio, and have them go to the same speaker. In that use case only one source can be on at a time. But that isn't what you're doing.

Then all you need to add is an optical BT Transmitter

https://www.amazon.com/HomeSpot-Wireless-Bluetooth-Transmitter-supported/dp/B00QV77YIC

Remy_dee

Commendable
Oct 6, 2016

Sorry I'm a complete noob when it comes to this. The optical transmitter u just showed me I've messaged suppliers about that too. They also said if I have a the speakers on bluetooth and the soundbar connected to the optical it still will only play onr or the other. Are u saying I need both the Bluetooth, optical and the male/female cord? Sorry I'm totally lost especially since I've asked the seller of both devices and they're telling me I can't do this

Turn on the optical output of the TV and turn off the TV internal speakers.
Connect an optical cable from the TV to the splitter. You now have two optical outputs.
Connect an optical cable from the splitter to the soundbar.
Connect an optical cable from the splitter to an EXTERNAL bluetooth transmitter. Pair the BT speakers to it.
That will get you sound out of both but since the optical out is fixed you will have to adjust the volume of the soundbar and BT speakers separately every time you want to change the overall volume. You will not get the same effect as you would with a proper center channel speaker which will primarily play dialogue. I would say use the one that sounds best to you and save up for a real 5.1 system.

Solution