Russia Spending Billions to Clean Up Space Junk

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

godnodog

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Wladimir[/nom]What about dog poop in Moscow?http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stray_dogs_in_Moscow[/citation]
The satellite will also take care of that, up from the sky

lashton

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
[citation][nom]theshonen8899[/nom]WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA!Hold on here. The pod will grab the space junks and toss it into the ocean...? You mean leaving it in the ocean with a bunch of unknown lifeforms is better than leaving it in orbit not really doing anything? How about we grab stuff we know will burn in the atmosphere then save the big stuff for hurling at other planets or the sun instead of giving it a chance to accidentally crash into a city.[/citation]
Typical narrow cited, how do you get it to the ocean, by the atmosphere, ie burning it up on the way here, the s**t came from earth its coming back, what life form do you know of that could survive re-entry, ohy yeah bacteria that created life on earth NOTHING ELSE, they can pin point where something wilol land they wont land it in a city FFS, hurling it at the sun what a stupid idea, its would liqufy first and then stay a liquid, it would not burn up, you think they have not already thought of that, and throwing it to another planet thats plain stupid!

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
Hats off to Russia tho I wonder what they're really putting up there or clearing a space for......meh tbh if this is what it says on the tin then every country should be forced to chip in to this project

G

How about recycling those junk. I bet it would pay off. There’s a lot of precious metals on that ‘space junk’.

G

Typical Russian BS.
Lots of press releases - and NOTHING will be done.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
this is what i call spring cleaning...time to send up some new stuff...us should be ashamed that they are not stepping up....yes i am suffering to the money wasting mofos at NASA

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Jesus, that is a lot of orbiting junk. No wonder we have holes in our magnetosphere, there is tons of metal surrounding the Earth throwing it our of wack!!!

millerm84

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
I don't have a link for the article, but orbital 3D printing is a real possibility in the next few years. Seems like a waste to just toss the "junk" back onto the planet to be burned up or rust on the ocean floor instead of using it as building material for new space crafts.

I do agree that this is probably a ploy to "defend" Russia from American/Chinese (Russia and China are not exactly friends) satellites. However, the US should work with the Russians on this project as gaining a safe nuclear reactor for space travel could open the door to planetary exploration beyond Mars and even our solar system. Not to mention help these two countries warm up to each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.