S/PDIF audio to PC surround sound system?

May 3, 2014
I have an HD TV that outputs audio only in S/PDIF (digital out, coaxial) format. I also have an old Boston 4.1 surround system designed for PCs. It takes input from two 3.5mm inputs, one black for the front speakers, and one green for the rear/surround speakers. There's no sub input, it lowpasses the collective audio for the sub.

I'm looking for a convertor that takes S/PDIF input and interprets it into distinct 3.5mm outputs compatible with my Boston system. I've tried search engines but I can't find anything, can anyone here point me in the right direction?

If the converters available only output to 5.1/7.1 that's perfectly fine, I can improvize with additional speakers without problem. This is a very informal dorm room set up!

May 3, 2014
Alright, but's not going to preserve the surround sound of the S/PDIF output. It would need to output at least two jacks for 3.5mm, one for rear and one for front. If there's a converter that changes S/PDIF to multiple RCA for front and back...

The speakers can an amp in the sub-woofer. Just plug the rca plugs from the spdif adapter into them.

2.1, 5.1, 7.1 etc all take stereo input and emulate the output.

The speakers on my pc are 2.1 but only 2.0 goes into the pc. The realtek chip does the emulation. Your speaker amp in the sub woofer does the same.