Safe registry cleaner

sheriff12

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
Is there any such thing as a safe registry cleaner? I've been told to never use them because they can do more damage than good. I'm tempted to try RegServe because my computer is running so slow. I looked at reviews for registry cleaners and RegServe seems to have the highest rating. I know there are pros and cons on this subject, so all discussions will be heard. Thanks for any and all feedback! RegServe free scan found 2676 issues.

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
i use ccleaner which is free and has served me well for years. it also helps clean up junk files and such.

if your comfortable with the registry, you can also edit it yourself. run regedit from the run prompt and you can delete whatever you want. i skim it for references to programs i no longer have or for things i don't recognize that may be dropped there by programs for ad type purposes. just be careful as if you delete something you need it'll screw up a program or even your windows install. i like to keep the start-up items to a minimum. i hate having 50 things start at boot up that i don't need especially all those auto update things that nag the crap out of you to get the l;atest update new since yesterday's update

sheriff12

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011

Math Geek

Estimable
Herald
as a side note, those scanners will always fine thousands of issues to scare you into buying their product to "fix" all the issues. most of the "problems" it finds will be things like cookies, old windows update installers, files in the recycle bin and i even saw one that counted each file in your temporary internet cache as a problem!! that one found like 25000 issues that needed fixing.