Sager NP8662: Upgrading Hard Drive...

AlexanderSheldon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
To start off; I am not very good with hardware. I have a Sager NP8662 that has a 500GB 7200RPM hard drive. I wish to upgrade to at least 750GB but am aiming for 1TB or higher. I know that there are desktop hard drives and laptop hard drives, but the NP8662 being a gaming laptop, I wasn't sure if the hard drive would be a desktop or laptop one. Further, I know that I could physically install the hard drive into the laptop but am unsure as to how to transfer all of my files; would I have to do a reinstall of the OS (win 7) onto the new hard drive, and install all my programs on the new one?

Please, please help. I'm desperate =P

Solution
That disk is taller than most 2.5" drives, so there's no telling if it'll fit in your machine. If you read the reviews, though, the company is actually sending 640GB drives and not 1TB ones.

Edit: And that price is redonkulus for 1TB of space. I wouldn't pay a price like that.

AlexanderSheldon

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
I understand what you mean. I have a 1TB external, but it is time-consuming to access the files on it; would the following linked product be acceptable? I'm not worried about price, only how practical the option is and how fast drive access would be..

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=2.5%22+hard+drive+1tb&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=3460423005842047311&ei=YBFiS-veGMbUlAf7hcznCw&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CBUQ8wIwAQ#ps-sellers

Thank you for your help.

frozenlead

Distinguished
That disk is taller than most 2.5" drives, so there's no telling if it'll fit in your machine. If you read the reviews, though, the company is actually sending 640GB drives and not 1TB ones.

Edit: And that price is redonkulus for 1TB of space. I wouldn't pay a price like that.

Solution