Sager NP9260

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=130281

Seems to be a monster of a Desktop replacement. A little hot in my view. A few things I do like it is the only laptop I seen so far that can have almost tb of hard drive space. Useing 3 laptop hard drives. Like the Samsung 250GB If you use 3 hd you get 750gb.

But at 18lb It would be good if you travel Point A to Point B and use it and want a super fast Laptop for Lan Partys vers Desktops. This laptop would be great. A Desktop you would take a monitor, Wires, speakers/headphones, Computer case, Keyboard, Mouse everything you need for a desktop to run. With this machine All I would bring is the Laptop and power. If I was picky a external mouse keyboard and headphones and what you need for a lan party.

But the 1.5 Hours battery life It Bites. But like High end sports cars. The more power under the hood the more times you have to stop. Like the Ford Shelby vers a Geo.

But if you want a laptop for passanger use. It best to get a good 15.4 inch or smaller laptop.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
Therein lies the problem of reading reviews and basing decisions on someone else's biases. Notebook Review is little more than a snakepit of Sager Distributors who pre-sold this thing for months saying it had everything from dual 8800 GTX cards to a quad core CPU.

This thing is a dog... I have one right here.

:arrow: First of all, the fantasy of putting (3) 250 GB drives in this... why on Earth would you get a complete performance notebook, then use 5,400 rpm drives? It doesn't make sense! The drives are the bottleneck to begin with then to use slower 5,400 rpm instead of 7,200 rpm... maybe 1 of the drives. Furthermore, the 3'rd hard drive is under the battery! Why not just throw the thing in an oven while you're at it!
But at 18lb It would be good if you travel Point A to Point B and use it and want a super fast Laptop for Lan Partys vers Desktops. This laptop would be great.
That is easy to say but a system at 2-1/2" thick, and a power supply that is 8" x 3-1/2"x2" with 4 fans on the bottom (and this thing gets hot) should not be on a soft surface; especially a soft surface with nerve endings... like for instance your lap.

:arrow: Second - 1.5 hours battery life? Um, I am questioning that. Maybe at idle, I have a brand new one sitting right here and I'll be honest, it isn't getting 1.5 hours when you're working on it. Let's not forget that a new battery is a great thing. A month from now, especially if you actually use the battery, it's going to keep getting weaker and weaker. Six months from now... you're hoping you can unplug it, walk up the stairs and plug it back in w/o it dying.

:arrow: Third - This thing is a DESKTOP Core 2 Duo... that's it. There is absolutely NOTHING special about this machine other than the fact it takes 2 GPU's!!! A single overclocked GPU is right there in performance and it isn't burning your system up. As far as CPU's go, you can overclock a mobile x7800 / x7900 and blow this thing away in a package that was designed for a notebook chassis and power requirements.

:arrow: 2 out of 3 systems I tested failed my thermal tests and shut down. 2 out of 3! That looks good at your LAN party.

:arrow: You are still going to have to bring speakers with you! LOL, what kind of LAN parties is this guy going to that a notebook's speakers are adequate... a LIBRARY's? Silliness.

Kids, do yourself a favor and listen to someone that knows...
:idea: Get a NOTEBOOK with a NOTEBOOK chip in it.
:idea: Don't mess with SLi in a notebook. The performance just isn't there. You're going to spend a fortune for something that is a GO version of a GPU, the statement above "use it and want a super fast Laptop for Lan Partys vers Desktops." is foolish. This is no match for an SLi desktop that a hard-core LAN Fragger is going to use... it isn't even close. Dual 7950 GO's vs. Desktop 8800 GTX's?!? Come-on.
:idea: There's Leading-Edge, Bleeding-Edge, High-End... heck, there's even Ridiculous-End and that is what some of these "notebooks" are getting to be. You have an ODM listening to what consumers want, and just building it without any other thoughts in their head. "Oh, you want a 426 HEMI in a notebook? Ok, let's see if we can build that."

The only way this notebook makes sense if it can blow-out everything else out there. I am maybe 3 weeks to a month away from getting a Quad-Core to work for real (not fantasy land like these other guys were in.) So far I have it running through three 3DMark'05's but will not make it through 5 consecutive passes. A few more modifications and I should have it. When this thing has 10 Ghz of core CPU processing power then the thing kicks ***... until then, what they are offering is nothing special compared to a top of the line Santa Rosa gaming machine with a single overclocked GPU... IMHO.

ToalMander

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
K | N what chassis are you going to use for Executioner SR? And are you planning to use 8700GT at all? It seems to be slightly faster than 7950GTX but they are not sure yet if it will work in 570RU. Sager should start taking pre-orders for that system today's afternoon.

killernotebooks

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
That is the problem isn't it?
These guys don't even know what will work in their own systems, and you can't even believe the things they tell you. Sager's distributors who never even touch the machines love taking pre-orders. They love it, and they will tell you anything you want to hear.

What I did is the people that are ordering Executioner's right now, I am telling them if they can wait 3 weeks, they will get T7500 base system Executioner SR's. They are very happy about that.

Right now, I am assuming the 7950 GTX but hoping for the 8xxx GPU for those that want it, and some people may not... who knows. I can't speak to the performance of that though because I do not yet have one. I know the 8600 isn't comparable to the 7950 GTX.

indiglo

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
That is the problem isn't it?
These guys don't even know what will work in their own systems, and you can't even believe the things they tell you. Sager's distributors who never even touch the machines love taking pre-orders. They love it, and they will tell you anything you want to hear.

What I did is the people that are ordering Executioner's right now, I am telling them if they can wait 3 weeks, they will get T7500 base system Executioner SR's. They are very happy about that.

Right now, I am assuming the 7950 GTX but hoping for the 8xxx GPU for those that want it, and some people may not... who knows. I can't speak to the performance of that though because I do not yet have one. I know the 8600 isn't comparable to the 7950 GTX.

you didnt actually say what chassis you will be using for the executioner sr with x7800 :)

jd91651

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2007
Hmmm.
Interesting post by "KillerNotebooks (killernotebooks.com?)". In the 2nd (rather condescending msg post) he
berates resellers of notebooks and then in the 4th msg we find out he is one. Only selling another brand.
Well I guess his point is well taken and we should be skeptical of them and that includes HIM. Incidentaly, just
so you know, I don't sell or distribute computers so I'm not sticking up for any of them including Sager NOR
am I recommending this or any other notebook. I'm just looking to buy a notebook to replace my aging desktop and
at the same time upgrade the performance and gain portability.

But regarding his post...
1. He's right about the 7200 rpm drives vs. 5400 rpm. Big performance hit for saving a small amount of money.
On heat, other reviews on this notebook disagree with his assessment that this thing gets hot. But it will get warm
so you need to keep it on a surface that allows the fans to do their job. It is NOT a laptop. Don't stick on your lap.
It's intended to be a desktop replacement with gamers in mind. Stick it on a desk. The best ventilated system in
the world is not going to stay cool if you block the vents/fans. Anyhow the verdict still out on this heat thing. I'd like
to hear from someone who bought it myself.

2. The battery life is only about 1 hr under load (according to one reviewer)
BUT no one that would be interested in buying the thing cares.
It is a desktop replacement not a laptop. I'm interested in it because it is portable and high end (for a
notebook/dtr) and I can still games (doom3 half life, CS, prey, NFS...etc) on it and not because
I want to pull it out at the bus station and play solitaire. Also, all batteries are subject to degradation
over time or with improper care. It is not unique to this notebook so the final point there is rather silly.

3. A single overclocked GPU is NOT right up there in performance with dual video cards in SLI this claim is
absolutely false. I dare you to produce one benchmark that proves that and I'm not talking about comparing
apples and oranges either. Produce a benchmark that proves a single overclocked 7950 can stay with duals and
not by comparing a 7950 to an 8800 like he did in point 7, which is absurd, or a desktop gpu to a notebook gpu
both of which require different chipsets. Further more overclocking any chip produces MORE HEAT which is one of
the points he makes AGAINSTbuying the 9260 to begin with and it requires more cooling to compensate for the
extra heat.

4. I can't dispute this claim about thermal failure.
I can't know what he tested or how he tested that but I can say I'm
personnally skeptical about it since it means he had to at least buy or otherwise get his hands on at least 3 of the
units to know that 2 of 3 fail. Plus it really implies that he tested even more than 3. And what is HIS thermal test?
He didn't mention how that was done. Frankly, I don't believe it. You'll have to make your own decision.

5. FYI: No serious gamer going to a lan party takes speakers OR uses the built in speakers.
They use headphones so they can hear themselves and not everyone else.

6. A notebook with a notebook chip is a good idea BUT 1st off there isn't another notebook made (at this moment)
that has a notebook chip in it AND has sli dual graphic cards in it that is able to produce the benchmarks this
notebook produces AND there isn't another notebook with a core 2 notebook chip that has dual sli graphics cards.
I've been waiting for one for a year now and this is the first one I've seen in a 17".
Yeah i know there are a couple AMD offerings with 20" screens. I don't want amd and I don't want 20" in a
notebook. (20" !!! holy cow. If you want a screen that big just plug your notebook into an external monitor! You at
least retain the portability factor!) IF they did build this model with a notebook cpu I'd concider that but the question
would remain does it produce the performance. Since no one has done it with this setup suggesting that a
notebook cpu would perform equal or better is pure speculation.

7. Don't mess with sli because...
This is called a logical fallacy. You set up false alternatives then use those false alternatives to prove your point.
Fact is that dual DESKTOP 79xx gpus in SLI don't perform as fast as a single 8800, let alone dual GO 7950s.
The only problem with this little item is that DESKTOP GPUS are NOT available for notebooks. Plus if we follow
this through to it's logical conclusion then basically you shouldn't even bother showing up at a LAN party unless
you have the newest bleeding edge technology. Come on. The point is not is it the fastest thing you can possibly
put in a box. The point is does it do the job based on what is AVAILABLE for notebooks. Available being key here
and the dual 7950's in sli are as good as you can get at this point in time. Future?... We'll have to see.
Technology is always moving on. Plus comparing 79xx notebook gpus to 8800 desktop gpu's is comparing apples
to oranges. Just for those of you who may be thinking that "maybe" the new 8400/8600's GO gpus are going to
change all that, the prelim stuff I've read says a single 8400 or 8600 will not match dual sli 7950s. What you will
get is d3d10 for vista and games but the performance is lower at this time (as he stated in msg 4).
To my knowledge, dual GO 8xxx's haven't been compared yet so can't speak of that AND thus far nVidia has
said the 8800 won't be available for a notebook. It's TOO HOT and TOO power hungry at 135watts+ requiring 3
power connectors counting the bus power and TOO big at around 11" long in the desktop version.
nVidia MADE the GO profile chips deliberately for notebooks because the form factor uses LESS power and
produces less HEAT than the desktop equivs! No they don't perform quite as fast as the desktop equivs but since
you can't get the desktop gpus in a notebook why is this even a selling point? If that's a sticking point for you
then don't buy a notebook, buy a desktop.
The benchmarks I've seen on the dual GO 7950gtx cards in sli on this thing are REALLY impressive.
14981 in 3dmark05 and 9097 in 3dmark06! My desktop has a single 7950 gt card in it and although the cpu is an
older model p4 3gz I only pulled a 6400 in 3dmark05! I can play all the games I want to but wish I had more
horsepower all around. Sometimes it gets sluggish and frankly those scores are nothing to be ashamed of
(http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=133052)
The argument here "seems to be" since you can't get the best desktop gpu in a notebook then you shouldn't buy
this notebook. Instead buy a cheaper notebook. Well if the money is a key factor in your decision making then
you will have to concider whether you maybe should buy a cheaper notebook but don't make the decision
because dual sli gpus in a notebook aren't as fast as the fastest desktop model you can get. They NEVER will be
for obvious physical reasons. This is also silly.

8. quad core? Tests were done on this and at least for now...it is not stable in a notebook.
Let's face it ok... A 100 core cpu in a system with inadequate GPU power is still NOT going to be able to
display the graphics in a smooth fashion. And it's not just all about the gpu or the cpu etc. It's about the whole
system. Ram, disks, bus speeds, cpu, gpu ... all of it. Any weaker component is going to
become a performance bottleneck. Placing a quad core cpu in with a slower video card solution is still not
going to get you the benchmarks or gaming performance you're looking for. And I assume if you looking at
this or a similar notebook that is of interest to you. Otherwise you would be looking at some other lower cost
solution to begin with.

Summary:
Waiting is not a bad idea. I'm not trying to suggest ANYONE run out and buy this notebook (9260) OR any other
(unlike Mr. KillerNotebooks here who seems to want you to wait for HIS notebook solution).
Fact is I've been waiting myself to see what else may pop up. For example the price has dropped several
hundred dollars on the 9260 since it was first release/announced in May/June because of
the costs for some of the components inside have dropped. Plus I want to hear back from some real buyers and
not just ppl selling/reviewing them.
But regarding killernotebooks' post, keep in mind that this guy has a dog in this fight.
So view what he says with the same skepticism that you should view ALL of them.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Then make your own decision.

jkstuff

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2006
you have some valid points however this is ridiculous.

:arrow: You are still going to have to bring speakers with you! LOL, what kind of LAN parties is this guy going to that a notebook's speakers are adequate... a LIBRARY's? Silliness.

made me laugh out loud.

I have never once seen anyone use speakers at a lan party. to do so is stupid, imagine 200 systems with speakers all at once. you wouldn't be able to hear someone sneak up on you and slit your throat. Plus most people use ventrillo or teamspeak.

Speakers at a lan is silliness