Sager or Alienware???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Criticalacc

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013
Hi everyone!
I am in the process of buying a new gaming laptop and am unsure of wether to choose a sager or Alienware. Here are the important differences that are making me unsure:
(WARNING: There is A LOT to consider so be READY!)
Alinware M14x vs. Sager NP9150

Screen: Alienware has a 1600x900 14 inch screen,
Sager has a 1920x1080 15.6 inch screen with 95% NTSC color Gamut.

Graphics: Alienware has a 2gb Nvidia GT 650m
Sager has a 4gb Nvidia GTX 675MX

Hard drive: Alienware has a 256gb SSD,
Sager has a 750gb 7200 RPM HDD
(Note: I am planning on installing an ssd into the Sager in the future if I purchase it)

CPU/RAM: Alienware AND the Sager both have an Intel i7 3740QM 2.7ghz CPU, but the Alienware has 16gb of ram while the Sager has only 8gb. (Note: Like the hard drive however, I would at some point expand the sager to 16gb.)

Optical Drive: Alienware has a slot loading Blu ray reader, Sager has a regular super drive.

Miscellaneous: Alienware comes with 1 year accident protection, Sager has diamond thermal compound on CPU/GPU

Overall Appeal:The Alienware M14x is a BEAUTIFUL looking laptop. The lighting, structure, and design leave the somewhat bland Sager in the DUST. Also Im not very sure how thick the Sager is. Id personally like the alienware becuase it has a Uniform thickness and Im really not looking for a Brick. (If i was Id just get the M17x or the NP9170)

PRICE: Alienware- $1896
Sager:- $1921

Final Questions: The somewhat obvious choice seems to be the sager, but is it as nice as the Alienware? Will I get the same support from Sager as I will from Dell? To those who have had Sager, are they a trustworthy, quality brand of Computers?

SO Thats all! Please leave smart responses that will actually assist me in making my choice between the two! Thank you for reading!!!

CaseT

Estimable
Apr 4, 2014
I am trying to decide between a Sager and Alienware right now and wondering if what you decided on and why.
I've always bought dell and never had any problems with their laptops or service. They are excellent!
If you went with the Sager, which reseller did you go with?

Thanks for any insight.

saratj1

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
I haven't owned a sager , but I traded a really nice custom desktop for an m17x a few years back and love it, Ive had a couple issues but dell was very quick to send a technician out to my house to fix it. That is service. like I said I don't know sager but dells xps and alienware service is beyond the norm. call center half way around the world bs.

CaseT

Estimable
Apr 4, 2014
Thanks so much for your feedback.
That's why I was thinking of going with Dell. Because of their service. I'm not familiar with the Sager resellers and their service. I've read 3 bad reviews about Xiotic. They also have some good reviews.
I will be using the laptop for both work and play, I need to know the service will be top notch if anything goes wrong.
Maybe some others will chime in about their experience with reseller service.
Thanks again!

CaseT

Estimable
Apr 4, 2014
Thanks so much for this reply. I know next to nothing about hardware or laptops for gaming/business. I've cramming the last few days to get up to speed and I've seen MSI builds but there's a lot more out there on Sager and Alienware and Asus.

One of the reasons I was leaning in the Sager direction is that it is evidently easy to upgrade. Is the same true with your MSI recommendations? I'd like to hang-on to this new computer for as many years as I can.

Thanks again, I'll definitely look into your suggestions.

CaseT

Estimable
Apr 4, 2014
Thanks much for all your help. I've wanted to get into hardware for a number of years. If I buy a laptop, I'll definitely go with the MSI but now I'm thinking maybe I'll buy a cheaper work laptop (have to have laptop for work) and build a gaming desktop. It might cost me more to go that route but I'll learn a lot and be able to upgrade the desktop in years to come. I appreciate your time.

PCGameFan2

Estimable
Mar 23, 2014

I agree, go with this!

CaseT

Estimable
Apr 4, 2014
Would the Lenovo and/or Aspira be better than a Dell Inspiron? I am not familiar with either of those but both of those links are in my prices range Would I be able to WOW PVE with that graphics card?

CaseT

Estimable
Apr 4, 2014
The Acer is a little more than what I wanted to spend. Out the door it's $958 and I was hoping to stay around the $700 range which is where the Lenovo is. I only PVE in WOW will I be able to do that with the Lenovo you linked.

Thanks again for answering all my questions. I

CaseT

Estimable
Apr 4, 2014
Just found this Lenovo for $719 and, in my novice mind, seems much more powerful.
But maybe it has problems?

IdeaPad Y410p Laptop - 59392486 - Dusk Black: Weekly Deal
Part number: 59392486
Edit configuration | Remove | Add to wishlist
Estimated ship date: 4/23/14**
+/- Configuration details
• 4th Generation Intel Core i5-4200M Processor (2.50GHz 1600MHz 3MB)
• Windows 8 64
• 14.0" HD Glossy with integrated camera (1366x768)
• NVIDIA GeForce GT755M GDDR5 2GB
• 6.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
• 500GB 5400 RPM
• DVD Recordable (Dual Layer)
• Intel Centrino Wireless N-2230
• Bluetooth Version 4.0
• One year
• Industry Standard Multi-touch 2 button touchpad
• 6 Cell 72 Watt Hour Lithium-Ion

Status
Not open for further replies.