Sales Figures Show Video Games Rebounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Th_Redman

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
I can't understand why people chose to download a digital copy versus owning the hard disc copy? At least, if your hard drive crashes, you can always buy another one and install the game again. The digital download...you have to re-order it. I guess society is getting lazier and lazier. I recommend, to all, watching the movie Idiocracy. Explains alot in today's world.

ssalim

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2007
@Th_Redman
I purchase digital video games via Steam all the time and I don't need physical copy, why? because 1) steam automatically updates the game, 2) if you crash your PC you can redownload the game (for free) and 3) you don't have to worry about losing or scratching your physical copy.

It's not lazy, it's smart.

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Hmm... next-gen consoles are on the verge of releasing and sales figures go up.

Who would have thought?

@Th_Redman

If my hard drive crashes who cares? All I have to do is install Steam or any other PC distribution platform and download any game I want without typing a single serial number. I also don't have a closet full of boxes and cheap black and white manuals littering my room.

If a major PC distribution platform buckles and dissolves, then you may have a point. Although I highly doubt Valve, Ubisoft, EA, etc are going anywhere anytime soon.

walter87

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
@Th_Redman @ssalim

Also with Steam, you can simply backup your steamapps folder on a harddrive and restore your games quickly without having to worry about redownloading all your games all over.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
"I can't understand why people chose to download a digital copy versus owning the hard disc copy? At least, if your hard drive crashes, you can always buy another one and install the game again. The digital download...you have to re-order it."

You do realize whenever you buy a digital download you get a product key and can redownload it whenever you want for free. Steam, Amazon, and Origin keep track of your games.

BritiShGaMeRR

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
OMG arnt some of you plain naive, More like cheaper than Hard copy ie. http://www.cjs-cdkeys.com/ also http://www.onlinekeystore.com/ Totally legit read press and search google I buy on-line and download purely because it's now cheaper via Steam sales and CD Key sale websites nothing to do with being lazy or easier to update, Backup, Reinstall etc. etc.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
although often buying semi new titles can be cheaper buying a hard copy from places like play.com and other (online) retailers - easily being cheaper than Steam.

Steam is Hard to beat for its sales though, if you are patient - like many I buy far more than I play lol ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.