Solved! Same repeated issue with the Samsung 700 Z

Jul 27, 2018
Same repeated issue with the Samsung 700 Z

Driving me to distraction. Love this notebook when it works but barely ever does. Goes dormant for months then before chucking it out the window I'll randomly plug it in to see what happens and voilà it powers on.

This lasts for an indeterminate period of time and randomly stops working again.

I have a battery light...and when I hold the power button for five seconds or more the power light goes off as if I just performed a hard boot.

When I hit the power button again I get a greenlight for the battery and that's it. Literally no action otherwise. This is happened at least half a dozen times .

I have tried every trick in the book including putting it in a plastic bag and turning it upside down in the freezer… Which had to be someone's practical joke...but out of desperation I was willing to try anything.

When it works it's the best machine I've ever had. The fact that there is a spark of life that comes back now and then means something but I just don't know what. What in the world is wrong with that blasted computer?

Solution
Ah, that sounds a bit more... catastrophic? But not being consistent, even that seems a little strong of a word.

Are you able to access the memory? Bad or poorly seated RAM can cause wonky behavior. It's worth reseating, or if you have more than one stick, try running off of just one.
It sounds like your primary display adapter is fickle. On this model, I don't know whether that means the Intel Graphics, or the Radeon Graphics, but whichever one is supposed to be driving the built-in display, it may, intermittently, not be sending a video signal.

Or, the problem could be with the display itself. Have you ever been able to connect an external monitor or TV to test?

Jul 27, 2018
Hi. It's actually that nothing comes on at all. Nothing powers up. Isn't it weird? This was a much faster crash than usual. Just a couple of days. And I found it interesting that it came immediately after the updates and putting it to sleep. That said I literally don't know how to get it on to make whatever changes might be causing the problem.

Ah, that sounds a bit more... catastrophic? But not being consistent, even that seems a little strong of a word.

Are you able to access the memory? Bad or poorly seated RAM can cause wonky behavior. It's worth reseating, or if you have more than one stick, try running off of just one.

Solution