Samsung Accused of Ripping-Off iPad in Australian Court

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
I guess it would be up to "star fleet" to litigate correct.

Trivia question. Was there ever such a thing in any Star Trek series or movie? A legal council and what was it called?

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
[citation][nom]agh1701[/nom]did not apple rip off star trek for the ipad, just like the ripped off xerox for the mouse.[/citation]

Actually if anything they ripped off Star Trek TNG (which looks like a digital pad) which ripped off 2001 A Space Odyssey which most definitely was. A case can be made for the original series, but that looks more like pen and paper on a thick notepad than anything else and it (TOS 1966-1969) aired at about the same time as 2001 (1968). It just makes Baby Jesus cry thinking about apple trying to cripple innovation in the electronics industry. Only their zealots will buy this garbage anyways, I'm not sure if any of them have the brains to switch. If I could think of a good use for a tablet, besides just goofing around I would look at the tab, never had a bad product from Samsung yet. I wonder if apple is going to hunt down and sue Jenny Craig for making people thin?

MeanSquare

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
I tend to like Samsung's argument that Apple ripped off Star Trek (TNG) and 2001: A Space Odyssey. It is a sort of "prior art."
sseyler: I agree. We need a Judge with a little backbone to kick Apple to the curb.

iam2thecrowe

Distinguished
I guess if people are dumb enough to buy an ipad, they would be dumb enough to accidentally buy samsung because of similar packaging. See, even apple knows their customers are retarded.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom] They are clearly trying to just be bullies and harass Samsung to get them out of the tablet business. If they can succeed in pulling down the product even for a short time like they did in Europe this can cause quite a loss for Samsung.[/citation]
Oh, boo-hoo. Poor Samsung... Dude, this is a HUGE company. They make a crap load of stuff between batteries, CD/DVDs, microchips, TVs, phones, cameras, notebooks, printers, projectors, air conditioners, washing machines, fridges, VACUUM CLEANERS! Poor, poor Samsung...

They ripped off the design big time. They deserve it.

wpid-20100328215520-271x250.jpg

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
And this is the back:

btIFS.jpg

Shameless, really. I mean look at it!

PS: This website doesn't have an edit button but Tom's Hardware does (if you click "Read the comments on the forums"). Why no love for the undecided?

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
the design of the touchscreen
Didn't Samsung make most of the touchscreen panels for the iPad, and all the cpu's for the iphone's and ipad's?

Apple doesn't want anyone to see or use the Galaxy S2, because it's better than the iPhone 5, which wont be out until the Galaxy S3 is released.

G

hmm seems like ipad ripped off samsungs digital frame design to me... http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=samsung+digital+frame&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&oe=utf8&um=1&hl=en&gs_upl=6922l8516l0l8719l12l9l0l3l0l0l329l329l3-1l1l0&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=9544948586618894922#

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]DSpider[/nom]They ripped off the design big time. They deserve it.[/citation]

I think you missed something here..
You see, in the pictures you provided the top one shows the Galaxy S and the iPhone 4 as the same size, but in the lower picture they are clearly different sizes, not only that but the only similarity between the two is the curved corners and camera placement. Not only that but they are different iPhones in both pictures.

Please, source your pictures PROPERLY.
Both phones are completely different.

G

@ DSpider

1.) Are you suggesting that Samsung copied the front of iPhone 3 but the back of iPhone 4?
2.) Galaxy S came out before iPhone 4...so in fact iPhone 4 copied Galaxy S
3.) Galaxy S is considerably larger than iPhone. In fact Apple is known to have manipulated pictures to make Galaxy S look more like iPhone...just like in the pics you posted.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]I represent an apple tree ... the apple trees are not fine with Apple`s court sue`ing actions and want to remove the license of using their image as a brand! Therefor they encourage the Cupertino base company to use a banana as a logo since they resemble a dick ... it would suit them perfectly![/citation]
LOL!

law shay

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]If they can succeed in pulling down the product even for a short time like they did in Europe this can cause quite a loss for Samsung.[/citation]
... and Google too. :(

law shay

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]I think you missed something here..You see, in the pictures you provided the top one shows the Galaxy S and the iPhone 4 as the same size, but in the lower picture they are clearly different sizes, not only that but the only similarity between the two is the curved corners and camera placement. Not only that but they are different iPhones in both pictures.Please, source your pictures PROPERLY.Both phones are completely different.[/citation]
Plus, there is a SEVEN-letters logo that reads "SAMSUNG" on Samsung's Galaxy S while there is a bitten Apple on the iPhone. So obvious on the back.

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
This is just like when Apple took Countdown/Woolworths to court because their "lettuce" looked like an apple.

Apple are just suing everyone simply because they can

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]DSpider[/nom]Oh, boo-hoo. Poor Samsung... Dude, this is a HUGE company. They make a crap load of stuff between batteries, CD/DVDs, microchips, TVs, phones, cameras, notebooks, printers, projectors, air conditioners, washing machines, fridges, VACUUM CLEANERS! Poor, poor Samsung...They ripped off the design big time. They deserve it.[/citation]

You know, it may have never hit you, but there is a word, i.e. "SAMSUNG" written on that phone in big white bold letters.

Unless iTards can't read, i think it's pretty clear which phone is which. Actually, wait, even if they can't, the DO NOT look similar. Or maybe iTards can't see properly either? Or maybe they can but the wiring from their eyes to their brains probably isn't patented by apple so they don't know how to use it?

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
All of you naysayers can suck it. They copied, they got sued. Deal with it.

Down vote all you want but by looking at the pictures you gotta wonder why they didn't go with 5 apps in a row instead of 4 (a la Apple) or why they didn't place the camera somewhere else, or why some apps like the clock app (basically points at the same time, wtf), the phone app (did it have to be green? really?), the notes app/"Memo" (yellow with brown), the fact that it has a "dock" at the bottom... Home button in the middle... Number of app pages at the top instead of the bottom (how innovating!) when they could've scrolled pages vertically or something else. And on top of that add the white and yellow packaging and you've got yourself a blatant copy. But nooo... You keep down voting haters.

In the meanwhile, look closely: http://www.androidworld.it/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/wpid-20100328215520-271x250.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.