Samsung Accused of Ripping-Off iPad in Australian Court

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]DSpider[/nom]All of you naysayers can suck it. They copied, they got sued. Deal with it.Down vote all you want but by looking at the pictures you gotta wonder why they didn't go with 5 apps in a row instead of 4 (a la Apple) or why they didn't place the camera somewhere else, [/citation]
Because you shouldn't be able to patent having a camera in the middle, how stupid is that?
That's like patenting the keyboard layout and suing everyone else who dares to use QWERTY.

It doesn't even look the same, unless you use photoshop to fake the picture to a different aspect ratio - who did that?

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
If having the camera in the corner was the only "coincidence", then Apple wouldn't have went ape shіt about it.

But there are way too many resemblances.

law shay

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
[citation][nom]DSpider[/nom]All of you naysayers can suck it. They copied, they got sued. Deal with it.Down vote all you want but by looking at the pictures you gotta wonder why they didn't go with 5 apps in a row instead of 4 (a la Apple) or why they didn't place the camera somewhere else, or why some apps like the clock app (basically points at the same time, wtf), the phone app (did it have to be green? really?), the notes app/"Memo" (yellow with brown), the fact that it has a "dock" at the bottom... Home button in the middle... Number of app pages at the top instead of the bottom (how innovating!) when they could've scrolled pages vertically or something else. And on top of that add the white and yellow packaging and you've got yourself a blatant copy. But nooo... You keep down voting haters.In the meanwhile, look closely: http://www.androidworld.it/wp-cont [...] 71x250.jpg[/citation]
1. Human eyes have limits. Moreover, the size of the tip of a human finger cannot be smaller than a certain size. Do you agree up to this point. Therefore, if an icon is smaller than a certain size, human beings can't see and can't touch it properly. That's why there is four icons not five icons.
Then you may claim, why didn't Samsung go with three icons in a row ? Well, the fewer icons a row has, the user needs to flick (scroll) more to access an application.
This in fact is a design pattern, there is two forces, icons can't be too small to be touched/seen while an icon-row must have as many icons as possible to minimize scrolling.
Four icons in a row is simply the best trade-off for devices with 3.5" - 5" screens. That's it.

2. To achieve good focus and picture quality, the lens and sensor must be placed as far as possible. That's why pro-cameras have very long lens. In compact cameras (and smart phones), they place the sensor on one end (of the phone length) while the lens is placed at the other ends. (The mirroring works involved is also patented by many camera companies but this is another story).

Therefore, the lens should be on the top part or the bottom part, do you agree ? (Take account that the diagonal of a rectangular is the longest line you can draw within a given rectangular).

Now imagine a user holding his phone. Does he hold his phone from top or button ? Well, his hands are in the bottom. So to avoid clumsy shooting hand positions, the camera should be on the top edge.

Well, Samsung should have placed its camera on the top-right but wait, the mainboard design etc designs are shared between iPhone and Galaxy lines. (I'm talking about the engineers designing both motherboards are Samsung's Engineers -- so their motherboard, even if they have different part numbers, are more or less similar.)

3. A typical notepad we can buy from stores since 1900s are using yellow paper (or white paper). That's why almost almost all note applications, e.g Tomboys Notes, are using yellow background with black/brown lines. Well, the ink can be any color but blue or black/brown.

And wait, yellow and blue are not very good match (refer to the color wheel). Since people associate notes as yellow background, when one can't choose a blue ink, one must choose a black/brown ink. UI experts says, too sharp a contrast like black vs yellow is not so good-looking (and even causes seizures for some people with seizures history) so ... it becomes yellow on brown. Understand ?

4. I agree with you for the rest of the facts. I also hate TouchWAIT UI. Samsung's TouchWAIT has a lot of memory leaks (I own two Samsung phones -- one Bada, which works fine and a SPICA, which has memory-leaking TouchWAIT).

However, the logo, size and other factors differentiate these two products enough. There is no point suing Samsung if it is just a battle of hardware. In fact, Apple is suing Samsung to delay Android tablets' entry to market so that it can enjoy monopoly in app/movie/music/book sales, which is 30% of the revenue stream !!! Not to prevent Samsung from selling these tablets. If these tablets are equipped with Bada, I really doubt Apple bothers to sue Samsung.

Please do not down-vote him. I want the readers of the comment to learn something.

Unolocogringo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Apple was granted a patent for manipulating a touch screen with 2 fingers.
So now almost all touch screens infringe on Crapples patent.
The news of the patent was on Toms about a year ago.
Should the patent be valid?

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
but for apple shareholders, this is a gross waste of money, the legal dept in apple must be consuming a lot of what would otherwise be profit, apple shareholders you should be demanding true value...

G

@DSpider

did you just crawl out from under a rock? you do realize that photo was doctored, the Galaxy has different proportions being taller than the iPhone

http://iphoneroot.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/iphone_vs_galaxy.jpg

there you go much closer to the truth

it's amazing how one rectangle can look like another, i believe Samsung may have a patent on rectangle shaped screens, Apple should stop copy the shape of Samsung's screens

if they think the strongest selling feature of a smartphone is their shape and the icon grid then i think Apple may have a bigger fundamental flaw up ahead of them

wanna try this one, time and money invested to develop a look and feel of a product vs time and money invested to develop a wireless communication technology, Apple is suing for the former Samsung is suing for the later. Samsung can always just paint their phones bright orange and say it now looks nothing like an iPhone, Apple can just have their phones stop making phone calls.....

look and feel is very important indeed.....

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Apple needs to be less of a douche - let Samsung and others copy and make inferior products - They obviously can't spend the R&D making a better product and would rather spend it copying. Suing them makes you look like a giant dick, even if you're right...

Samsung needs to do better - Visually It really looks like a poor copy - Please make a product that people will run and buy - you make a lot of good stuff, now step up and make it better!

I love my Apple products - I wish Apple were a little less of a douche.

I played with a Samsung Galaxy tablet and Android 3.1 (the OS installed) was half baked. It's not going to be recommended. Not Samsung's fault, it's Google's - Make an OS that rocks and make it a requirement that manufacturers don't fuck with it...

Status
Not open for further replies.