Samsung antenna issues

adie1234

Prominent
Sep 27, 2017
Hello

I recently purchased an Eclipse antenna from antennas direct because I live in a condo South facing and full of windows, I can pick-up several towers.

The antenna is on glass window in the bedroom.
I have two tvs. Bedroom tv is Sony bravia (2007)
Main tv on other side of wall in living room is new 2016 Samsung LED SMART TV.

I use the Sony as a reference point for channels I can pick up scanning as it has the "add channel" function and the Samsung does not.

The tv's are connected to the antenna via a splitter. Coax to the Sony is about 4ft and to the Samsung about 12ft.
TWO questions.

Why when I rescan on the Samsung and it picks up the new available channels and aquires them in the channel list would they disappear on their own from the display? Tv was on all night and no subsequent rescans, but it keeps doing this bumping off channels . at first I thought maybe it has to do if the channels were weak but this loss from the list does not happen in the older Sony.

Why when watching the Samsung tv the signal degrades and then says "weak channel. " yet i can step in the next room a few feet away and that channel is working on the Sony.

Its driving me nuts.

Samsung is blaming the antenna and says it's the antenna that is providing the step down? Problems with the 480 to 1080 and v.v.

Antennas Direct is saying it's Samsung's problem And i should get a box to go with the tv.

I don't want to invest hundreds of dollars in additional equipment when all seemed to work fine until the Samsung started displaying "Mode Not Supported" messages.

ThAnks

Solution
1. The TV tuners don't have to be equal. Each maker chooses how much to spend on it. They would also choose how the TV reacts to weak signals. I would also guess that an older TV like the Sony would place more emphasis on OVA TV than an newer smart TV.
2. The splitter does reduce the signal. To find out if that is the issue you can bypass it and see if the Samsung still has a week signal. If it still happens you might need a signal amplifier. If not then a splitter distribution amp will overcome the loss in the splitter and cables.
1. The TV tuners don't have to be equal. Each maker chooses how much to spend on it. They would also choose how the TV reacts to weak signals. I would also guess that an older TV like the Sony would place more emphasis on OVA TV than an newer smart TV.
2. The splitter does reduce the signal. To find out if that is the issue you can bypass it and see if the Samsung still has a week signal. If it still happens you might need a signal amplifier. If not then a splitter distribution amp will overcome the loss in the splitter and cables.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS