Samsung ATIV 700 screen black, external display works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snookd

Commendable
Feb 20, 2016
Like I said in the title, I have a Samsung ATIV 700t that's a little over two years old. About 2 months ago, I started to notice the occasional flickering horizontal lines on the display. Since I was rushing to meet a deadline I didn't send the computer in for repairs right away, which in hindsight might have been a mistake.

Then one morning the screen just didn't turn on- the computer booted just fine, and using the mini-HDMI I was able to see the display and use the laptop, but the display itself is completely, utterly black.

So I dropped it off with my usual tech repair place and they diagnosed it as a bad LCD, as I kind of suspected. He ordered a replacement from overseas and we waited for it to come in.

When It arrived, he swapped it out, but nothing changed- still no display. He decided it must be the motherboard that needed replacing, and ordered that (because he's awesome, he didn't charge me anything additional for the new motherboard).

Bafflingly, the new motherboard didn't solve the problem either! It still runs fine, and I can still use the external display, but since I use it for digital painting on my morning train ride that's not really going to work.

Can anyone think of anything else I might need to have checked? Interestingly, Windows doesn't seem to see the internal monitor at all- could this be a software problem and not hardware at all?

Sorry this was long-winded: I appreciate any suggestions or ideas you might have!

Hi,

Did the tech replaced the ribbon cable that connects the LCD to the motherboard as well? If he did try to press on the Windows key + P then select Display only then press Enter and see if you'll get the display back on the built in LCD. If both these steps will not work do also try to uninstall/reinstall the graphics card driver.

Hopefully this steps will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.