Samsung Beats Nokia As Largest Smartphone Maker

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Wozz[/nom]@back_by_demand why should any consumers bother trying it for themselves when android/apple already have what we need[/citation]
Why bother buying a new car when my Model T Ford does everything I need?
Jeez, you realise how backwards and ignorant your statement really is?

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
[citation][nom]Wozz[/nom]@back_by_demand why should any consumers bother trying it for themselves when android/apple already have what we need. Unless there's some aggressive marketing by microsoft or Nokia (and WP7 actually has a competetive UI) I can't see any reason for the majority of people to even bother! Android spread big time by word of mouth but I think theres so many people already set in their ways it's gonna take something massive to change anything![/citation]
So your point is besides Android / Apple, the world doesn't need another phone OS?

equ7

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
M$ WP7 was very late to the party maybe too late.

WP7's future market share "guess" depended on Nokia handing Symbion's share to WP7. Symbion is now dead on its feet there is very little "smartphone" market share to hand over (Nokia is mostly selling £80 feature phones). Also personaly I intend to replace my Nokia C7 with a Android 3 device later this summer. The 10+ Nokia owners I know (I have asked) are also going Android on the next new phone (most of them had decided that before Nokia killed Symbion, two went to Iphone)
For Microsoft to "Get Market Share" in any serious way its got to be better in every way, be cooler and be cheaper than Iphone/Android.
Also (according reports) M$ currently is charging $5 for WP7 and handing back $10 per phone, how meny manufacturers will stay onboard when(if) the rebaites stop????.

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
I love nokia hardware, and want to love the E7 but symbian kills it!! If you could put android on it I would go for it. Im still not impressed with windows phone 7

guanyu210379

Distinguished
@feedagoat:
Yes! I like Nokias hardware but I like better OS more than just simply a good hardware.
What can a super hardware can do with a sloppy OS...imagine running a i7 980X but stuck with DOS.

dstigue

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
I don't agree that WP7 is junk but they are late to the table. These are more than phone selections these are ecosystem selections. You buy an app on one phone you can't transfer. If you have 100 dollars in apps on Android you lose if you change. Not to mention calendar is google synched your contacts everything. Same for iPhone... iTunes and iPhone live and breath together. I imagine it's the same for WP7. The lines have been drawn and WP7 needs to do alot of convincing to pull people away from their ecosystems.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]liveonc[/nom]Goodbye Nokia, hello MS Nokia, Sony Ericsson, HP Palm...[/citation]
If you bail on Nokia in favor for Sony, you'll end up less happy than with an outdated by shiny new nokia

Status
Not open for further replies.