Question Samsung boots only sometimes

jozinovitko

Commendable
Aug 26, 2018
Hey! I have a weird issue. My Samsung 350V5C-S05CZ boots only sometimes. Like one of 10 times when I turn it on. Sometimes it boots 2times in a row and sometimes it doesn´t boot even after 20th time. When it doesn´t boot Leds turn on, fan is working, but screen remains black. It seems like sometimes the power on self test just diagnoses something wrong and notebook remains in this state (it is exactly like when you don´t have any RAM connected). I don´t think any hardware is damaged, when notebook boots it is working completely fine even for hours, booting is the only problem. I was thinking about updating BIOS, can it fix the issue? Is updating BIOS safe? Thanks for your replies!

Updating the BIOS should be safe but the process requires a reboot and with your machine working as it does, I would be concerned about the reboot failing and leaving you with a brick. I doubt that updating the BIOS would fix your problem with booting, but I certainly would do the BIOS update after you fix your issue. A few more details are needed. When the reboot fails, do you ever see anything on the screen during startup (like a manufacturers logo)? Does the disk activity light blink very much or just a short while when booting? Can you enter the BIOS setup reliably? Are there any beeps during the bootup when it fails? Is it possible the back light is not coming on (hold a flashlight close to the screen and see if there are faint images.

jozinovitko

Commendable
Aug 26, 2018
When the boot fails I can´t see absolutely anything, screen stays black. When I hold flashlight close to the screen it doesn´t do anything. Disk activity doesn´t blink at all...but I am not sure if it wasn´t blinking other times I have tried. When laptop does boot I can enter bios without problem. There are no beeps when bootup fails. Btw when it does boot, I enter BIOS and click on exit saving changes, notebook reboots and starts without problem. btw btw by booting I mean booting to BIOS or showing anything on the screen, I forgot to write that.

jozinovitko

Commendable
Aug 26, 2018
Updating the BIOS should be safe but the process requires a reboot and with your machine working as it does, I would be concerned about the reboot failing and leaving you with a brick. I doubt that updating the BIOS would fix your problem with booting, but I certainly would do the BIOS update after you fix your issue. A few more details are needed. When the reboot fails, do you ever see anything on the screen during startup (like a manufacturers logo)? Does the disk activity light blink very much or just a short while when booting? Can you enter the BIOS setup reliably? Are there any beeps during the bootup when it fails? Is it possible the back light is not coming on (hold a flashlight close to the screen and see if there are faint images.
I tried to keep it in the black screen state for longer time and....black screen, LEDs are on and fan speed keeps switching between slow and fast every 10seconds