Samsung Could Launch Smartphone With Foldable Display by 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

aldaia

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2010
Everybody copies from Apple. It was expected that Samsung, sooner or later, would copy such a feature from iPhone 6 Plus.
I just hope they refine the "unfolding" mechanism.

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
I wouldn't mind a portable roll up tube display. Not sure the point of a foldable smart phone. Maybe a large phablet so that it becomes somewhat pocket sized.

dovah-chan

Honorable
Feb 5, 2014
Could the silicon inside the chips even do that? Like the CPU and such. unless they are purposefully located on the top and bottom most part of the phone in order to avoid being bent. I think this is just a novel idea for the most part.

David Miller 29649

Estimable
Nov 20, 2014
Just hoping that Samsung will add a patent for this, not allowing evil Apple to steal ideas or the technology itself, as usual. Samsung has always been the most innovative, and Apple a copycat...

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
@DXRick
That might not be a bad idea. Actually it might be the most suceesful model for how to sell this.

If the Tablet screen was a 'dumb screen' like the Asus PadPhone that plugged into the smartphone. And keep it simple. A roll-up and foldable screen that you could carry in your pocket. Then allow third parties to create all kinds of solutions for mounting and holding the 'dumb screen' much like what happened with iPad stands and cases.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
@DXRick
That might not be a bad idea. Actually it might be the most suceesful model for how to sell this.

If the Tablet screen was a 'dumb screen' like the Asus PadPhone that plugged into the smartphone. And keep it simple. A roll-up and foldable screen that you could carry in your pocket. Then allow third parties to create all kinds of solutions for mounting and holding the 'dumb screen' much like what happened with iPad stands and cases.

daddywalter

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
Would a reliable sharply-folding screen be easier to make than perhaps a "roll-up", scroll-type display? I remember a science fiction TV show from a few years back where the screen apparently rolled out of a control unit; you pulled the screen out to view it, otherwise it was rolled up and protected within its control-box. This required that the entire screen be flexible, but did not require it to fold up like pages in a magazine. With the curved TV screens that are now becoming available, perhaps this sort of "roller blind" display is not that far off.

Status
Not open for further replies.