Samsung Countersues Apple in Australia

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deathmage

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
I think whats ironic is nearly 70% of the chips, including the processor that powers Apple's devices are made by Samsung. Samsung should just rip the mode behind the madness and watch Apple squirm for mercy!

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Apple could hire 100 lawyers, each working fulltime, at $200 per hour a piece, and it would add up to about $40M.

They sold 25M iPads and iPhones in Q2, so looking at around 100M or more for the year [probably more since Q4 will include a lot of holiday sales]. That is like $0.40 per device and it's counting nothing for the also similarly styled iPod Touches...

G

@back_by_demand

and thats the funny thing, alot easier to change the way your product looks than to find out a new way for wireless communication

and Apple was foolish to bar sales of galaxy tabs, in the off chance that Samsung does have it ruled in their favor, they would ask for reimbursement for lost sales, and if you were to put a figure to that it would go along the lines of all iPads sold during that period (we know there is no way in hell that Samsung would shift that many, but this is a law suit)

and on top of that they lose a premier SoC fabricator, all because they didn't like the way it looked.....

G

oh btw, did anyone hear who Apple is sueing next? apple juice companies and apple pie manufacturers.... for using the name "Apple" as their product name.... :S

squidz66

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
One problem I foresee, is a shitload of Apple fans hating on Samsung for delaying their device... Most people will not know what has brought this about.

someoneelse

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
My guess is that broadly samsung will win with a few compramises.

Apple want to corner the market it usable tablets. make quality tablets an apple only thing. however this will eventually stiffle innovation, diveristy and progress. It kinda reminds me of when apple sued microsft over the use of a graphical uer interface ( which apple had stolen from xerox in the first place )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Computer,_Inc._v._Microsoft_Corporation

the judges back then decided against apple which was majorly important besause without that decision we would only have apple computers with graphical user interfaces. that would have made apple the king of the pc and no one likes their control freakery.

with tablets I hope the judges realise to decide that apple effectivly owns the look and feel of a tablet will be counter productive to innovation and progress. Even if apple loose they will still continue to make loads of money.

In my opinion a licensing agreement where original innovators get a proportion of the profits is the best option that way there is an incentive and a reward to innovate ( and not just copy cat ) but progress and diversity won't be blocked.

I recon judge judy could probably do this in half an hour.

junixophobia

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
@someoneelse

Yup, I know that story and there is even a movie about that.

but you know (cr)apple will not want some licensing because they want world domination. They are worst than the IBM they hated so much before.

Status
Not open for further replies.