Samsung Galaxy B Will Have Edge-to-Edge Display

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]Sorry but the fact that Hitler tended to eat Apples does not make eating Apples bad or good. The fact that smart women wear makeup does not make wearing making makeup good, bad or smart. The fact that rapists breath air does not make breathing air bad or good..[/citation]

And just because I can:

1 - Hitler example is irrelevant because 1 person is not a statistically relevant survey.
2 - Both smart and dumb women wear make-up. In fact, dumb women probably wear more. If it is true that smart women wear more make-up, if you find someone wearing make-up, they are more likely to be smart.
3 - Rapists don't breathe air any more or less than anyone else. Thus, there is no correlation between rapists and breathing air so it's absolutely irrelevant.

frankbough

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]2 - Both smart and dumb women wear make-up. In fact, dumb women probably wear more. If it is true that smart women wear more make-up, if you find someone wearing make-up, they are more likely to be smart.[/citation]

Wrong, for the reasons I cited earlier.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]frankbough[/nom]Wrong, for the reasons I cited earlier.[/citation]

Right, for the correction I posted of your flawed mathematics earlier.

Again, 'smart' is relative. Take a line of x number of people.

x/2 of them will be more intelligent than more people than they are less smart than. In other words, 50% could be described as 'smart'.

If is is true that the smart ones wear 'more make-up', on average, if you take one who is wearing 'more make up' they are statistically more likely to be smart.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
sorry, comment got cut off:

'If is is true that the smarter ones wear 'more make-up', on average, if you take one who is wearing 'more make up' they are statistically more likely to be smarter than a randomly selected one who isn't wearing 'more make up' *

frankbough

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Sorry I humbly submit to your greater Internet powers. The old troll classic - say something, get proven wrong, and claim you meant something else. :)
Time to leave this one alone! :)

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
How in the world did we get here when the article was about Edge to Edge screens on a new Samsung device? I happen to think that would be awesome looking.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
Frankbough - you didn't answer my counter arguments because YOU got proven wrong.

You made the incorrect assumption that a small proportion of people are 'better educated' - when actually it will ALWAYS be 50% - because 'better' is always relative. For your argument to be true, there would have to be 50 million people who were 'better educated' - and if you took any two people in the remaining 200 million, you couldn't tell them apart, education wise. That's not the case:

Take 10 people with the following IQ's:

10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 155, 155

Now, what YOU are saying is, 'Smart = 155', therefore there are only 2 'smart' people. If 50% of 'smart' people (with this definition) like to eat beef, and 25% of 'not smart' people like Beef, you would have a collective 2 people who are 'not smart' who like beef, and 1 person who is 'smart' and likes beef.

Thus, you reach your conclusion that if you take someone who likes beef, they are not more likely to be 'smart' - (33% chance - 1 out of 3) even though the smart people like beef more.

Here is why your example is wrong:

1 - You fail to address the opposite side of the comparison, in which you take someone who doesn't like beef. The chances of THEM being smart is 14.3% (1 out of 7). Thus, even in your own example, and by your own definition of 'smart' - you are still more likely to find a smart person by selecting one who likes beef, than one who doesn't. All your example proves is that you are unlikely to find a 'smart' person in either scenario. Which is meaningless. This is your main logical failing. (Did you seriously say 'school boy' to me?) Tut.

Apply this to your own numbers from your original beef criticism:

You said 50 million are 'better educated' and 250 million aren't.

You said 80% of the 'better educated' eat a lot of beef, and only 20% of the 'worse educated' eat a lot of beef.

This gives you 40 million who like beef and are smart, and 50 million who like beef and are not smart.

You therefore conclude that, if you take someone who eats beef, the chances of them being smart are 44% (40/90). You assert that this is less than 50% and believe this constitutes a valid argument

However, what you failed to do, was to work out the odds in the opposite scenario. Out of 210 million people who do NOT like beef, 10 million are 'better educated', and 200 million are 'worse educated'. This, if you select a person at random who doesn't like beef, the chances of them being smart are 4.8% (10/210). I don't think I need to explain to you how 4.8% is less than 44%

Thus, even in your own example, with your own numbers, people who eat beef, are, on average, better educated than those who don't. Similarly, if you take someone who eats beef, they are more likely to be better educated than someone who doesn't. Exactly as I stated.

2 - 'better educated' and 'smart' are both relative. So, in this scenario, if we compared the IQ of the person who is 40 with the person who is 10, the 40 person would appear smart (or 'better educated'). Given that for more cases than not, the 40 person would be regarded as the 'smarter' of the two - they can arguably claim to be 'smart'. This will always lead to the 50% of people in any relative measure.

3 - The 40 IQ can certainly claim to be smarter than the 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 and 35. Yet your example disregards this, grouping the 40 in the 'not smart' group. So in your example, even if the 2 people of the 8 who are 'not smart' who liked beef were the 40 and 45, you would still claim that beef has no correlation to intelligence, despite it being liked by 3 of the 4 people who are the most intelligent, and none of the 6 people who were the least intelligent. In other words, your artificial grouping distorts reality.

I haven't changed any of my claims, at all - please feel free to read over and check. Right now I'm just adding more words to my previous post which first disproved your 'beef' hypothesis - because obviously you didn't get it the first time.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]How in the world did we get here when the article was about Edge to Edge screens on a new Samsung device? I happen to think that would be awesome looking.[/citation]

Strongly agree. I was in the middle of discussing the screen with people too, when the following came:

[citation][nom]del35[/nom]Was this not patented by Steve Jobs 10 years ago?

...This is more about show and casing than substance, something we have been subjected to from Apple for years. Yes this works with dumb clueless zombies that want to impress equally clueless zombies like those that flock to the Church of iCrap; but tech smart people want more....Their phones could stand to be a tiny bit thicker, but not as thick as those iPhone coffins. I would rather have that than have to wonder around like an iZombie charging my phone every 5 hours because of moderate internet browsing....[/citation]

When I explained to del35 that iPhone hardware was faster and mentioned the survey which shows that iPhone users are better educated (so they aren't 'clueless zombies'), he and some insecure guy who didn't go to college overreacted thinking that it was calling them stupid (bless) and went on massive rants in Android vs Apple rage and 'you're not better than me' tears.

The rest is FrankBough trying to be condescending with false logic, and me correcting him.

Back to the topic - seriously, assuming both the iPhone 5 and SG3 are 'up to par' - hardware wise, I will be tempted buy whichever has this edge-to-edge screen. It's futuristic.

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]Strongly agree. I was in the middle of discussing the screen with people too, when the following came:
When I explained to del35 that iPhone hardware was faster and mentioned the survey which shows that iPhone users are better educated (so they aren't 'clueless zombies'), he and some insecure guy who didn't go to college overreacted thinking that it was calling them stupid (bless) and went on massive rants in Android vs Apple rage and 'you're not better than me' tears.The rest is FrankBough trying to be condescending with false logic, and me correcting him.Back to the topic - seriously, assuming both the iPhone 5 and SG3 are 'up to par' - hardware wise, I will be tempted buy whichever has this edge-to-edge screen. It's futuristic.[/citation]

Lol thanks for the laughs.

G

> 2 - Most of the world doesn't have 4G.

If you are with Verizon, they cover 200 *MILLION* people with 4G LTE, already.
More and more coming all the time.

In countless other places, you get their excellent 3G.

Where's the problem?

G

omega21xx :

You mad a stupid comment, iphone people are more intelligent...what a bafoon for believeing surveys. There just that a random collection. A scientific survey isn't much more accurate but they use more metrics. "I own this candybar so I'm smarter than you cause you own that candybar." FAIL!

G

The Iphone 4s is currently not the best CPU/GPU, an android phone just took the crown.
Sorry Intrensity. Back to the draws.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS