Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Updates

Sandi13

Honorable
Oct 23, 2013
Hi I am planning to purchase Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2012 edition. I just want some clarification on whether I will have problems with android updates or is this 'out of date' in terms of updates and apps.

popatim

Splendid
dont mean to be rude but its a 2012 edition you said....

Anyways, about 8 months ago it was on their list of products that would be skipping straight to key lime pie (5.0) so to answer your question yes there is an update to 4.2 for it and I personally feel there wont be one for 5. By the time KLP comes out this will be a 2yr old product and beyond its development lifecycle. For example both the Note1 and 2 received only 1 update that I am aware of to date. The Note 10.1 just got its update so don't expect another one.

edit - the 4.2 update just came out last week by the way.

SamSV

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014
Are you really talking about Note 10.1 2012 or some other device? It has no 4.2 update.

It came to market on autumn 2012.
Got it's only upgrade already on january 2013 from 4.0 to 4.1.
Since then nothing, only fixes. It has totally been forgotten by samsung. No 4.2, 4.3, 4.4.

Don't buy it!

I recommend to skip all Samsung tablets - if they even cannot keep their premium tablets updated, don't bother!

nonamehere

Estimable
Jul 1, 2014
I agree with SamSV. When I purchased the note 10.1 when they were first released, samsung promised to keep the tablet up to date for at least 5 years. One update after the initial release and that never happened (just a lot of broken promises.)

beyond this: I have since purchased the S5 (mistake) which after just over a month of use, all the pictures and videos (no other files) disappeared. This is obviously a software issue, so I TRIED to contact samsung "support" both through phone and e-mail. On the phone "support" transferred me to the "tech support" who never answered (I sat on hold for 2 hours before I gave up.) Their e-mail "support" only sends a generic response, with no way to respond (contact information is fake, mailer-daemon.)

[bottom line] Unless you need the pen, don't waste your money on samsung mobile products. No updates, no support, means no more samsung for me.

sincerely,
ex-samsung fanboy

tegorizefod

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014
good, skip all Samsung tablets - if they even cannot keep their premium tablets updated, don't bother! thanks
yvISPb

Erieviewer

Estimable
Aug 8, 2014
Alabalcho, I too purchased a 10.1 note when they were new and received the update to 4.1.2 about six months later. This device was listed as a candidate to be upgraded to KitKat in June of this year. It's now August.

Grillan

Estimable
Sep 4, 2014
I'm an active owner of Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2012 and I have instaleed oficiall android 4.4.2. KitKat update via Samsung Kies, so yes, it's still worth buying considering it's cheap price, good performance without lagging and latest android updates.

Erieviewer

Estimable
Aug 8, 2014
Thank you. It's good to know that it can be done. Is there a detailed procedure on how to do it? I'd like to use the external memory for large apps such as Spotify but Samsung told me that the only way to do it was to wait for the upgrade. Most of the external 16 GB is unused.

Grillan

Estimable
Sep 4, 2014

Yes the procudre for updating is very simple.You just have to download Samsung Kies to your PC then you connect the tablet to PC and when it is detected update will begin immediately.And if 16 GB isn't enough for you, you can always expand storage with SD cards up to 64 GB.

Erieviewer

Estimable
Aug 8, 2014
Thanks again, Grillan. I purchased and installed a 16 GB SD card when I bought the tablet but 4.1 won't allow applications to be moved there so most of it is empty. I think Kitkat allows it without having to root the tablet.

Grillan

Estimable
Sep 4, 2014

Yes KitKat should make it possible.Enjoy!

Aggie64

Estimable
Oct 15, 2014

Thanks for the suggestion, Grillan, but after downloading Kies when I connected my GT-N8013 to the PC it did not update. When I tried getting the update from Kies using the Update tab and entering the model an S/N, Kies did not recognize it for an update. Did anyone else successfully update a GT-N8013 to Kit-Kat using Kies, and, if so, how did you do it?

rharrison1979

Estimable
Oct 21, 2014
As of 10/21/2014 the North American model of the note 10.1 gt-n8013 has not gotten an update to kitkat yet. Most of the world got the n8010 model for wifi only, and they are all updated to kitkat. I expect the kitkat upgrade for N8013 is coming soon.

Aggie64

Estimable
Oct 15, 2014

Aggie64

Estimable
Oct 15, 2014
Thanks for the encouragement, rharrison1979, however, I fear this is one of those products that has been forgotten. We have been hearing for quite some time about Europe having an update while they remain mum on the US product. I would not mind so much if they had not built into 4.1.2 the requirement that you must print on a Samsung printer. I am unable to use my HP ePrint.

Bill480

Estimable
Nov 2, 2014

I went to Kies and it updated my 10.1 however when it was complete, it was still 4.1.2 that being said, the Google plus and Google voice search that didn't work before, now works.... All together, it took almost an hour an a half to load pc and tablet.

mhmcintyre

Estimable
Nov 25, 2014
I agree. Spend the extra $$ and go Apple. I was not an Apple fan which is why i bought a Samsubg tablet. Samsung has nice hardware and zero post-sale support. I have a GT-N8013 qnd am still on 4.1.2. So I miss some functionality in apps that are written for 4.4. All the support group will say is that they cannot speculate on when an update might be available. It would be better if they just said "we have your money and if you want an update buy a new device." That would be preferable to being strung along hoping for an update.

Jan 3, 2015
I don't know if you can get android 5.0 but there is a custom rom download for 4.4.4. I'll give the link but, Warning! If you install this custom rom you can't find the device when you connect to the pc. http://www.sammobile.com/2014/10/07/samsung-galaxy-note-10-1-getting-android-4-4-4-update-in-south-korea-and-china/