Samsung Galaxy S II Burns Inside Man's Pants

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
knew it was only a matter of time before anti-Apple trolls made Samsung's phone melting down somehow Apple's fault.

Its not a far fetched idea. It is how Apple manages to hold on to its metadumb fanboys.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Interesting how Samsung makes a statement as if they are going to be "willing" to take a look at the problem in order to help out this poor unfortunate consumer. If I were him I would respond with something like: I take all objects catching on fire in my pants seriously. How about I keep the device and you come and meet me in a courtroom where you will attempt to defend yourselves and your product while I proceed to sue you for a 6 figure settlement. Bring lots of lawyers.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
As long as it's an extremely small percentage of hardware failures, there isn't much concern.

However, if it's in the dozen of thousands or god forbid, nearly all of the phones, there's going to be quite a bit of recalls and class-action lawsuits...

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Of course Samsung has not responded to the posters comments, until they check the phone out and determine if it is a real issue or a hoax there not going to say a word. I could take a phone apart, use a lighter to burn it in a way to look like those photos and then say the thing started melting in my pocket.

That aside, that sucks. I would hate to buy a phone and have that happen in just a few weeks. Blows when you invest $$$ in hardware and it goes poof!

G

Don't you see ... this is all a terrorist plot by hackers to discredit Apple and Samsung. lolz, if 1 in 5 burnt up I think it would be an issue, but an electrical fault on this one doesn't sound like a big issue. An investigation needs to follow to see what can be done to prevent this ... maybe start wiring in a temperature sensor into the case?

wtp_31

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
What people miss is (with a few exceptions), that say you have a 99.999% quality rate that means 1 of 100,000 will be defective. Ship say 5 million units and you have on average about 50 defective units that went out. It is simple math. No process is 100% accurate. This applies to both Samsung and Apple

The second point is why people feel it is bad that Samsung wants the unit to investigate it. The reason the NTSB investigates air crashes is to gain insight on what caused a crash and implement changes to prevent it. Same applies for Samsung engineers; they want to see what caused the phone to malfunction to possibly prevent it from reoccurring in future designs. I think is I good the Samsung cares about quality and trying to improve it.

vanderkin 78

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
WOW!!! Burning phone in a pocket!!!! I have had 2 samsungs in my life time, but they never were so hot)))). Who knows was it a fake? Lots of goods are coming from China. That man paid for it by cash or took cash advance. He must receive a indemnity!

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]phexac[/nom]Yep, knew it was only a matter of time before anti-Apple trolls made Samsung's phone melting down somehow Apple's fault.[/citation]
Of course this is the first story I have heard of a Samsung phone overheating, whilst Apple phones have been setting on fire or even exploding for years
No one is faultless here, especially not Apple, but it would be interesting to see if it is an issue with dodgy battery manufacturers rather than the phone itself, like the laptop battery debacle not long ago

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Oh, I cant wait until we see the days when cell phone batteries have 10 times larger capacity and 10 minute recharge cycles (research has already yielded such batteries through nanotech and other things). Then people will be walking around with portable thermonuclear bombs that will cost more than an arm and a leg to carry around. ;)

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
Probably burned up because off all that tasty private user-data carrierIQ is trying to steal form him because they know it's going to be the end of them soon!!! haha..

I definitely want to see how samsung will handle this.

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Dear anti-apple, anti-samsung, anti-whatever....
From the pictures, we can see that it obviously became too hot, but I doubt you can get seriously burned with that. What you see in the photo is the inside of the phone. Given the state of the inside of the back plastic cover of the phone, the outside should be quite OK and I don't think that it could ignite clothes (or anything else) outside the case. The fire was, as it should, contained into the device.
Comments like "If that happened to me, i'd sue Samsung immediately" are so stupid. Of course Samsung needs to offer a new phone to the owner, and apologize, and pay any medical cost (if there are any) and seriously investigate on the issue to prevent it from happening again. But let's not overreact. Be it an iPhone, an HTC something or a Galaxy, this can happen to any device that has such a compact design. When million devices are produced, there will always be one that fails here and there. No one has been wounded and it doesn't seem like it's an epidemic failure so it doesn't deserve all the media attention it receives and those "let's make money by suing them" reactions we see every time.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Oh how soon we forget. Go back to the recent Apple iPhone that had a battery burn on an Australian airline and see how many people were claiming it's time for Apple to investigate, issue a recall or that it was due to lousy quality control.[/citation]

It's not that they forget.. It's just selective memory. But it is funny.. Something like this happens to Apple and it becomes a crapple conversation that plunges down hill fast. Which I find humorous to see grow adults acting so infantile.

However one of Samsung's phones do the same thing.. And it becomes something oh-so-adult-like in here.. Mature questions like wondering if it's the battery manufacturers, or what not.. The astronomically low odds of it happening.. The one person I saw saying something about suing, was down voted like crazy, yet the same statement towards Apple gets praise.

Bad things happen sometimes.. I'm not flippin out over something this small. If this phone did actually catch fire, the guy would be more than compensated with the replacement of everything damaged, and a small sum for inconvenience, and harm.

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Pity to see so many Apple fanboys and people who are first to blame manufacturer. Am I wrong or are these people bluntly replacing their common sense with customer rights? Sad world we live in... To get latest piece of tech people are all me please, me please, when can I get one, any deals.. The moment device is in the hand with any issues related to any party it becomes "piece of junk". Get real.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
[citation][nom]wtp_31[/nom]What people miss is (with a few exceptions), that say you have a 99.999% quality rate that means 1 of 100,000 will be defective. Ship say 5 million units and you have on average about 50 defective units that went out. It is simple math. No process is 100% accurate. This applies to both Samsung and AppleThe second point is why people feel it is bad that Samsung wants the unit to investigate it. The reason the NTSB investigates air crashes is to gain insight on what caused a crash and implement changes to prevent it. Same applies for Samsung engineers; they want to see what caused the phone to malfunction to possibly prevent it from reoccurring in future designs. I think is I good the Samsung cares about quality and trying to improve it.[/citation]
I'm actually surprised these have not caused more issues with airlines - if one of these exploded on a plane, batteries as a whole would get banned. Its shocking how trrorists have not tried to rig up a battery to fail when the air-pressure gets to a certain level, then ship it via next-day air to anywhere far away.

Status
Not open for further replies.