Samsung Galaxy S3 or Motorola Moto G

Christosck

Honorable
Sep 28, 2013
Hello everyone,

I am going to buy a new phone soon, and after a lot of search i am stuck between those two great phones, the S3 (1GB RAM) and the Moto G. BUDGET is not a problem because i am going to buy them with a mobile company deal, so practically they cost the same.

I am interested in an all around good phone with a lot of features to discover and play with. I like the stock android of the moto g but i don't know if the touchwiz is that bad either as everyone says in the internet and if it consumes a lot of ram and power. On the other hand S3 is 2 gens old and that worries me a bit. On first glance and with no experience on any samsung or motorola they both look good, but which one is better?

I need some expert advise here to help me decide. Any help will be well appreciated!! :) :)

Thank you!

Solution
I had an S3 and would have gladly exchanged it with a Moto G (now have a Moto X).
I was using CyanogenMod on my S3 so I cannot say much about TouchWiz other than what my friend has told me, he was only using TouchWiz for some of the software features. TouchWiz does slow down the phone, but not enough to make it unusable. The battery life is bad.
The Moto G is equal to the S3 in most cases. I wouldn't recommend the S3 as it is 2 Generations old. If you want a Samsung phone you can go with the Grand 2, though i don't recommend it. You would be better off with the Moto G.

Samsung Galaxy S3
Pros

Removable battery
SD card slot
TouchWiz
Camera
Cons
Old - 2 Gen
Battery Life
TouchWiz
May not be updated to KitKat 4.4.x

Moto G...

Nolan Middlemas

Estimable
Mar 17, 2014
I know alot of people that use the Galaxy. They are very happy with it and some people that I know are switching from Iphone to Galaxy. I guess the display is something to die for. I would go for Galaxy because it seems that alot of people are happy with it.

njagga

Estimable
May 11, 2014
I had an S3 and would have gladly exchanged it with a Moto G (now have a Moto X).
I was using CyanogenMod on my S3 so I cannot say much about TouchWiz other than what my friend has told me, he was only using TouchWiz for some of the software features. TouchWiz does slow down the phone, but not enough to make it unusable. The battery life is bad.
The Moto G is equal to the S3 in most cases. I wouldn't recommend the S3 as it is 2 Generations old. If you want a Samsung phone you can go with the Grand 2, though i don't recommend it. You would be better off with the Moto G.

Samsung Galaxy S3
Pros

Removable battery
SD card slot
TouchWiz
Camera
Cons
Old - 2 Gen
Battery Life
TouchWiz
May not be updated to KitKat 4.4.x

Moto G
Pros

New
Latest version of Android 4.4.2
Speakers
Display(Gorilla Glass 3)
Battery life
Cons
No SD card
Non Removable Battery
Camera - 5MP

Update:
If you are not on a tight budget I would suggest to go for the Xperia SP.
Moto G vs Xperia SP

Xperia SP
Pros

Faster Snapdragon S4 pro Processor
Better Adreno 320 GPU
Design
Camera
Battery
SD card
Cons
Non Removable Battery

Solution

Zircoben

Estimable
Apr 15, 2014

Excellent answer. Moto G is much better. It has a more modern CPU/GPU, better software, and will be faster.

lmontoya

Estimable
May 14, 2014

Hi. I have the Galaxy S3 and it is a very good phone. However, what you mention about being 2 gens old is the key. Android 4.4 KitKat in the Moto G is going to make the phone faster than the Galaxy. Plus Motorola is ahead in the smartwatch design with the moto 360, that is going to have the Android wear software, which brings me to the next reason to get the Moto G. The manufacturers are concentrating in the user experience through the software instead of hardware and the touchwiz gives you very little on that matter, with the disadvantage of slowing down the phone. Moto G has no NFC, which you won't need and no expandable memory, which you may or may not need. As for the rest, you'll get everything you'll need to play with on the Moto G, plus the chance to customize the look and color of your phone with cases from Motorola. (check color shell, grip shell and flip shell on their website) I bought the S2 for being the best phone in the world and then the S3 for the same reason. Now , I would have to change my phone every 6 months to keep up and I came to realize that the changes in my user experience were not worth the money. Keep it cheap with the latest software, buy phones with cases in mind ( biggest drawback of Blu Phones ) and don't forget that pretty soon, heart rate monitors, garage doors, cars and a lot more will be connected to our phones; so being up to date with software will give you more toys to play. ;)

njagga

Estimable
May 11, 2014

Very true. Only thing is buy a phone like a OnePlus One or Nexus 5, and enjoy low price for High hardware that will work for more than a year, minimum.