Samsung Galaxy S3 : weird screen freeze

catty

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
Hey guys

As i said above i have a samsung galaxy s3 : today i had 2 crashes , sort of screen freezes i guess... where my phone freezes and the screen gets these weird grey or black intermittent horizontal lines.

Im not able to get out of the screen and after a few seconds the phone restarts. This has never happened before, today was the first time and it has happened twice now in a matter of 6 hours or so.

Any idea what this could be ? Im worried its a hardware problem?? ive perhaps dropped this phone once on wood floor , but that was like 2months ago or so. No scratches , no real wear and tear , im very careful with it.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated , very worried about my phone :(. Ive bought this phone without a contract so i dont rly have insurance on it or anything so i rly hope this isnt hardware.

catty

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
no its been a month or so since the last real update for the phone i think... some apps have been updated more recently but thats was over a week ago aswell.

inzone

Splendid
When any device , smart phone , computer and such start acting up there are two things it can be. Hardware or software.
Hardware means that something has become defective or broken and needs replacing.
Software means that something has been loaded that is conflicting with something else or that the thing downloaded was corrupted.
With hardware unless you can point to the part causing the problem you can't just start replacing parts hoping to find the issue.
Software is a little easier since you can delete what's causing the problem. If you recently loaded some app even a week ago you may want to try and remove them to see if that's what's causing the problem. If not you can always reload them.
You can check your phones software version to see if an automatic update took place by checking the date of install , it will show that when you check the software version.

catty

Honorable
Jan 30, 2013
i have actually downloaded an new screen background app 3 days ago

so i have now changed to another one and u installed that one

lets see if this problem doesnt occur anymore then

Arjun S

Honorable
Apr 2, 2013
I too have been experiencing this since past week. The S3 just hangs randomly and i need to pull out the battery to remove it.

I am pretty sure its some App that is causing it, some latest update has messed it up. I did a factory reset and it was working fine , then i installed the apps again and now its freezing again.

Apps that i installed are :

Facebook
Facebook messenger
Whatsapp
Chrome
Y! Mail
ES file explorer
adobe reader
adownloader new
gmail
mx player
poweramp

samsung apps
youtube

I doubt it is FB app, cos there was a recent update to this. Will uninstall and see.

Vincent Panel

Estimable
Nov 13, 2014
I have the same issue and at the same time a dramatically reduced autonomy (less than 2 hours). Reason is because my battery is end of life (or broken). I'm 100% sure of it because I've just switched my battery with my girlfriend's phone which owns the exact same model but uses it less often and my phone is working fine without any of these issues. People reading this thread, time to purchase a new battery (or a new phone)...

KazimKazmi

Estimable
Dec 11, 2014
I am having the same problem and i think after installing FB or FB messenger app. I need to see whether after uninstalling it works smoothly or not? But i agree with Arjun S

michelefugard

Estimable
Feb 16, 2015
Im having the same problem when im using my phone for a bit i get lines going across the screen then i loose service and my phone freezes and i have to pull the battery out to restart it. has anyone found a fix for this?

blossomcherry9

Estimable
Feb 25, 2015
[Samsung galaxy s3 : weird screen freeze

what you should do if your screen freezes and turns black or like what happened to me goes to your lock screen and wont let you switch your phone of or do anything to it is remove the battery. when you remove the battery it will automatically switch off then you should put it back in and it should switch on by itself then try. if that doesn't work repeat the method as mny times as you need.

edwinallen420

Estimable
Mar 12, 2015
Hey,

Reset default app settings for your freezing app. Go to Main Menu > Settings > Apps > All > Select the app > Clear Defaults. Terminate background syncrhonization service for the app as showed in this guide. Do install an Antivirus app to make sure your phone is free of virus, malicious apps.

Thanks & Regards,
Edwin Allen

selena12

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015
my screen is frozen it cuts on and off but it wont let me inside of it
and i was just wondering what may of happened to it

Amir__S3

Estimable
Oct 1, 2015
I have same problem with my samsung s3 mini (SM-G730A). The mobile freezes and auto shutdown.
I have also factory reset my mobile but the problem not resolved yet. Please advise what to do ?