Samsung Galaxy S4 - " Sim card not detected - reboot "

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin5609

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Has anyone else had an issue with their Galaxy S4 constantly coming up as the sim card not being detected and having to reboot?

My phone started doing it on the very odd occasion, but now it seems to do it 12+ times a day, sometimes 4 or 5 times in a row on a bad day. Sim card isn't loose. Works fine after a reboot (most of the time, sometimes keeps having to reboot).

Seems to happen more often since I upgraded to KitKat, but might be irrelevant. Google doesn't seem to help besides sending it off for repair which I'm pretty close to doing. Has anyone found any solutions besides?

Daroncam

Estimable
Sep 15, 2015
HOLY CRAP THE PIECE OF PAPER TRICK WORKED!!!!! I can't believe it thanks! I got a new phone today anyway but hopefully this should suffice until it arrives. It wasn't even recognizing my SIM card at all!

Jan 5, 2013

I'm still trying to fix mine(just replaced the SIM card reader with no success) but of that might work for you,I only paid $9 with the little tool kit on eBay. Going to open mine up again tonight and try to put foam or something over the new one, maybe even but another one without the tool kit this time(I can get that for less than $5)

dsilvapt

Estimable
Oct 25, 2015

I had the issue fixed just by replacing the SIM/SD card module. I tried almost everything before without success!
I only had the issue twice in 48 hours after the part replaced.I guess I have to change the mainboard as well!

Erin__

Estimable
Oct 27, 2015

Sim card -- not memory card. I came here because mine had done this too, 3 times in the past 3 days.

lestatar

Estimable
Nov 4, 2015
In over 20 years of cell phone usage, this issue has to be the single most frustrating problem I have ever encountered. Absolutely incredible the number of Samsung owners who are having this issue and totally ridiculous that no official solutions from either Samsung or Google have been issued.

Over the last couple of months [~ 1 year old S4 Mini Duos i9192 international version], I have been experiencing this insane problem. I have read nearly every post and thread available online about this matter. I have tried all of the offered solutions without long-term success [with the exception of disassembling the phone and placing foam on the SIM tray ribbon].

However, I have finally made a single change on my i9192 phone settings which, for the last 48 hours, seems to have stopped the problem from recurring.

Phone details:
Samsung S4 Mini Duos i9192 [int'l version] - Android 4.2.2 Rooted - Baseband i9192XXUAMF9

The single change I made is under Jellybean Settings > More Networks > Mobile Networks > Network Mode...for both my SIM cards.

Originally, the network mode was set as GSM/WCDMA (auto connect), especially for main SIM 1.

I changed the option to GSM Only.

That's it.

No clue if this will be a long-term solution to the issue or why it would even make a difference at all. I can only report that 48hours+ and I have not had a single recurrence of this pathetic SIM CARD REMOVED error since making this change to GSM ONLY.

Just throwing this out there for anyone else who may be having this issue to possibly try out.

Good luck everyone...
-lestatar

UPDATE:

Well, it has been 5 whole days since I made the change above and the amazing news is that I have not had a single recurrence of the issue.

It is looking like one cause of the problem may be this setting, which, if set to Mobile Networks GSM & WCDMA (autoconnect) may cause the error. Guessing this setting may have issues with local carriers and how they change each mode whenever needed due to limitations in signal range/etc....

At least in MY case for this issue.

Incredible...both the severity and widespread nature of this problem and also the seemingly endless "solutions" that have varying success for each case.

UPDATE 2:

Well, since I made that tiny change, I have now gone 9 consecutive days WITHOUT getting this ridiculous error. Confidence is getting high that for me the problem is now gone for good.

I am now convinced, at least in my case, that the problem was indeed caused by the phone setting for GSM>WDCMA automatic handoffs according to network availability was working improperly.

Amazing...just amazing.

YMMV...
-les

yellop

Estimable
Nov 9, 2015
I also "suffered" from this issue and as the phone was still under its warranty (2 years from Samsung) I left it to the shop support for investigation and testing. The result was battery change. Since then, no issues yet. It has only been a couple of days.
Strangely enough, I read on some forums about a certain battery serial number etc..Mine was not and thought more about another hardware issue (sim card pin or cables to and from the motherboard).
So the battery replacement did the trick "so far"...

Paulytrade

Estimable
Dec 20, 2015

I have sent 7 g4s back to t-Mobil now there just going good to send me a different phone

WinstonMaculai

Estimable
Dec 26, 2015
Do not waste your time it is a hardware issue

I tried everything... from the stupid pushing the connectors with a pen solution, installing the weird BT utility... nothing worked

On the other hand I replaced the SIM card holder, tried the folded piece of paper solution... nothing worked more than 3 days

Finally I got a motherboard replacement and intalled it. SOLVED.

Hope this helps

--
Winston Maculai

lestatar

Estimable
Nov 4, 2015

Perhaps it is a hardware issue. Perhaps not.

All I can say is that in my own case with my S4MiniDuos, since I made the simple network change I specified in my previous post on page 2 of this thread, I have had ZERO RECURRENCES of this ridiculous issue.

Not a single instance of the SIM not found problem.

Bottom line for people experiencing this issue - in order of escalating difficulty, doesn't it make sense for folks to try what has worked in my case first before going to all the effort and trouble to have the motherboard replaced?

ymmv,
-lestatar

Traceyo

Estimable
Jan 3, 2016
Donnyc is it possible to hear your fix/solution for the sim card error issue? I'm ready to take mine apart but not sure what to do. I have numerous parts, 2mother boards, mid chasis and several frames of gs4. A brief explanation would be very much appreciated. This is my 4th gs4 but first time having the sim card error issue.

unsungguru

Estimable
Feb 3, 2016

Looks like it may be even more widespread...the last 6 digits of my IMEI start with 9, and I'm having this issue.

Henry_26

Estimable
Feb 6, 2016

I'm not sure if you mean micro SD card instead of your SIM card. an SD is a memory card is what uses GB, because it stores information. by getting a new SD card, you have done nothing but lost any information (photos, videos, music, documents, etc.) that was on your previous micro SD card. I see that this was posted as while back, but if you still have this recurring prompt on your phone, I recommend going to your current carrier and requesting either a new SIM card or a non defective phone. I wish you the best of luck.

caribconsult

Estimable
Nov 3, 2015

Gi-Force

Commendable
Feb 9, 2016
Hi
Same problem here and fixed it.
I have made a factory reset. Then I removed all updates from the programs I don't use which Samsung put on the phone and removed those or stopped them if that was not possible. That included the Samsung apps as well. After that I received for 4 days no error. Then I changed my SD card from 64Gb into 16 GB. After starting I received the error immediately. Shutdown my mob; removed the battery and took the SIMM as well as the SD card out and back in the holder. A week no errors. Then I opened my mob and unplugged the SIMM/SD cable (it's the same cable). Put some contact spray for electronics on the mother as well on the father side of the cable. Firmly put the cable back on its place. For some days no error. Then I changed the 16 gb SD card back into the 64 GB. Even after starting I received no error. Still for a week later I haven't received any error.
Hopefully this helps you.
Regards,
Gi-Force

Wheatabix

Commendable
Feb 12, 2016
This worked for me. Used a small piece of an eraser (a snip off of one of those pen like erasers that retract)
Havn't had to reboot since going on 3 days and previously i was rebooting between 5 and 20 times a day.

Cheers!

Gi-Force

Commendable
Feb 9, 2016

I had read about this solution as well.
But you have to put something extra in your mob.
Have you think what can happen when the temperature is getting high?
A point someone else had mentioned as well.
What I have done doesn’t affect the mob.
And I had a lot of errors as well with three different SIM cards.
Now for 1 and a half weeks no error.
GRTZ
Gi

Kevin_103

Commendable
Feb 15, 2016
My phone has this issue. The imei does not fall in the reported range. Even switched carriers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS