Samsung Galaxy S6 vs. S5: What's New

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon_person

Estimable
Mar 1, 2015
My understanding is that the S6 Battery is not removable. So if it dies so goes the phone, and battery life is limited, whereas with S5 you can carry spares.

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
No removable battery, a reduced battery capacity, and no expandable storage, no sale...Way to take three steps back Samsung, I'm not buying this shit and I've bought Galaxy phones since they were first introduced.

David1979

Estimable
Mar 2, 2015
Seriously people like to complain all the time.. what if it's integrated battery? Apple has been doing it and they sell and I'm sure when the time is right and you'll need to replace the s6 battery (3-5+ years) they'll be cheap replacement solutions. Samsung is a step ahead now with the s6.

Admin's note: Edited for language

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
Seriously people like to complain all the time.. what if it's integrated battery? Apple has been doing it and they sell and I'm sure when the time is right and you'll need to replace the s6 battery (3-5+ years) they'll be cheap replacement solutions. Samsung is a step ahead now with the s6.
The battery does NOT last 3 to 5 years, they barely last two. The smartphone batteries have a typical cycle count of 500 or so before it has serious charging issues, and since you have to charge it every day (sometimes multiple times per day), it's very easy to reach a point where the battery will no longer charge well before a typical 2 year agreement is up. Then if you're outside the US and get the phone on full retail, you're out of luck even more because you won't get a good value. People buy the iPhone because it's Apple and are willing to give up function for better form, but I am not one of those people. Add to that the reduced capacity of the battery on this phone and it's just not going to last long enough. You pay the price in "premium" design that way, much like apples iPhone or mac book line. The bottom line is when the battery is not user replaceable the only way to get one is to pay MORE money for a someone else to do it, compared with a simple battery swap it will never be "cheap"

Also if you're like me and have a 64gb microsd card for expandability, you certainly don't want to be paying a $100-$200 premium to make up for that lack of expandability just because Samsung decided it's not important to their customers anymore. It's a kick in the teeth after making such an investment.

osalt2

Estimable
Mar 1, 2015
For many the deal-breaker is : No SD Slot & No removal battery. Many Samsing buffs will just upgrade to an S5 or look at HTC!

Marshall Honorof

Editor
Herald
Aug 1, 2013
Just wanted to add: As far as I know, the battery is, indeed, not removable. Both removable batteries and expandable memory seem to be going the way of the 8-track, since phone manufacturers have realized that consumers, as a whole, are not averse to losing them. (Translation: "The iPhone does it, and Apple rakes in the dough, so we can do it, too.")

I'm as sorry as anyone to see them go, but it's cheaper and easier for phone manufacturers to not offer them, and helps them make more money selling internal memory. So it goes.

sceptre2564

Estimable
Apr 3, 2015
I would like to take a vote of how many people actually have a 2 year old phone they are using. My guess is very few to none,nso why complain about a battery going out in 2 years when u will just buy the s7 in 1 year, really have some common sence and read what ur writing.

Ano_Nymous

Estimable
Apr 7, 2015
I would like to take a vote of how many people actually have a 2 year old phone they are using. My guess is very few to none,nso why complain about a battery going out in 2 years when u will just buy the s7 in 1 year, really have some common sence and read what ur writing.

I have a Galaxy S3 and after reading this article I will be upgrading to the S5. I don't upgrade phones every year or even every two years because I'm frugal I suppose. I realize this is increasingly not the norm, but I definitely look for phones with removable batteries for this reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.