Review Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 3 hands-on review: The best foldable phone just got better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solun1

Honorable
Sep 20, 2015
It looks fantastic. I have the Note 20 Ultra, upgraded from my beloved Note 9 just because I'm playing high-end games and Note 9 was lagging already. I was horrified to see that my new Note 20 Ultra has rather bad performance (it's the Exynos). So I am thinking about getting the Z Fold 3 because they are offering almost $950 cashback for Note 20 Ultra. But it's such a waste, I had really high expectations and it was such a bummer that I'm now afraid to upgrade yet again.

Aug 22, 2021
Went to check the phone out and happened to have an audiophile friend of mine with me. He was impressed with the volume as well as the fullness of sound that the dual speakers offered. It was a very clear difference from the Note 9 he compared it to.

BrodaFett

Honorable
Mar 8, 2016
I have to say the Z Fold 3 is a heck of a phone. I actually just wanted to try it for 3 weeks and send it back while keeping my Ultra 21...but then I fell in love.i ended up sending my trade in to Samsung and keeping the Fold. It is quite simply an amazing phone. Though I do have one huge problem with it that's really souring my experience. The most expensive and top of the line device by Samsung is still running July's security update. Before I sent my Ultra to Samsung it had received it's September security update at the beginning of the month. Here we are about a week from October and yep nothing for the Fold. I can't fully recommend this device until Samsung starts treating it like a premium device and giving timely security updates. Right now I feel like I have a super expensive second class device that Samsung doesn't care about updating. In turn they apparently don't care about the owner's security.

Feb 14, 2022
I was very excited to get my new Samsung Galaxy ZFold 3. I have poor eyesight and large fingers and the bigger screen size was something I was looking forward to. I was a little nervous about the folding screen part but thought surely they have that part worked out by now. Surely they will honor their warranty if it messes up. They don't and they didn't. I have had the phone now for about 4 months. I put a case on it to protect it. I treat it very well. After 4 months of what I would call normal to careful use, the screen in the fold part began to separate from the phone. At first this was simply not nice to look at but soon started to affect the touch screen functionality. I took the phone back to Verizon and they suggested I could either do an insurance claim OR we could go the manufacturer route. Verizon told me that samsung usually considers that physical damage, not covered under warranty. The store manager at Verizon called Samsung with me in the store. Samsung refused to honor their warranty and in fact hung up the phone on the Verizon store manager. In order to get a functioning phone, I had to pay Asurion a $250 deductible for another fold phone which I am fearful will do the same thing. Here is what I have learned. Samsung fold phones are not ready. Samsung refuses to stand behind its products and honor the warranty. I will NEVER buy another thing made by Samsung ever again (including appliances, TVs, anything). This is a poor customer experience for a $1700 phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.