Samsung Has Sold 600,000 Galaxy Tabs

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
The figures are impressive, but personally I'm not impressed.

I went to a local retailer and tried it out - it lags way too much to have a pleasant experience. The same 2.2 ran smooth on the Desire Z/G2 which was displayed right next to the Tab.

The lag issue kills it for me. Needless to say, I was extremely disappointed.

Stocklone

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
@eddieroolz Since pretty much everything on Android OS can be replaced does it matter if something lagged? Replace it with something from the market that doesn't lag.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
I own one, bought it last Saturday. Thre are currently two carriers in Canada which carry it, one charges the same for the data plan as they do for the iPad, the other charges 85% more for the same maximum 5GB / mnth. Unfortunately I'm with the provider that charges more, but my data plan with my Galaxy S Captivate is 6GB / mnth which isn't offered unless there's a special on, if I switched I'd lose that and go down to 3GB on my phone, so I'll stay and hope my provider decides to create a standard "tablet" data plan and not discourage people from choosing a "crApple" alternative.

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
Just to append my comment, I love the Galaxy Tab and I've played with an iPad in the store... the lack of flash, the lack of expandable memory and restrictive apple ecosystem is not something I want to support beyond what I already have with my iPod Touch, which I'm no longer buying apps for since I have a better alternative. All my purchased andriod apps are portable right to the Galaxy Tab without paying for them again and the extra screen real estate is a boon for mobile computing. The Galaxy Tab is a perfect "paper back" book size and perfect for wide screen movie watching. The front facing and rear facing cameras are great. The apps I want are for the most part well designed and lag free, live wallpapers are laggy if you get the really cool ones, but there's something that doesn't exist to my knowledge on the apple offerings. Also the complete customization is just too good to pass up. Why be an apple sheep when you can express your individuality with a customized look and feel to your andriod tablet.

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
So Galaxy owners are missing a soul? Maybe they can get a new one if they offer an iPad to someone with a soul who doesn't have an iPad... ;-)

yao

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
what? need 2 year contract again... I am not gonna buy it. when can there be a tab that costs $500 without a contract?

mofnet

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
@stocklone: yes it does matter that it is laggy "out of the box"... when i buy anything, i expect it to function at a desirable level from the off.. to compare, you wouldn't buy a new car and then say "it'll be fine once i've replaced the engine as the one it comes with is too slow, and while i'm at it, i'm going to replace the seats cos these ones are too hard...." come on...!

don't accept sub-standard crap from our computer hardware vendors otherwise thats all they'll keep selling us and getting away with it...

gti88

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
[citation][nom]cinergy[/nom]I don't trust Korean quality.[/citation]
Do you think that "chinese quality" of ipads is better?

pandemonium_ctp

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
I'm glad to see Samsung is giving Apple a run for it's money in that market segment - even if it is for a frivolous item such as a tablet.

[citation][nom]cinergy[/nom]I don't trust Korean quality.[/citation]

That's the funniest comment I've ever seen. As opposed to what kind of quality?

How about taking into consideration Samsung is one of the most respected brands for electronics on the market in several areas. Also, Hyundai has gone from a cheap manufacturer to a very respectable brand name that's anything but laughable in less time than it takes most companies to earn respect in such a diverse business arena as of late.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
but Samsung has managed to get 600,000 people to sign two-year contracts for its tablet
Since it's WorldWide you can't assume that every single buyer had a contract. Also, I'm in Brazil and here we don't have a two-year contract. Here it's only one-year contract (enforced). ;)

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
[citation][nom]Stocklone[/nom]@eddieroolz Since pretty much everything on Android OS can be replaced does it matter if something lagged? Replace it with something from the market that doesn't lag.[/citation]

Hah, yes. If you want to get it off the shelf the demo unit needs to be SPECTACULAR. If that means a special software build, restricting the apps running on it, or a special demo process for the CSR that is showing it to you, then by all means they need to do it. If your first experience is "meh its a big phone" you are NOT going to be swayed into a contract for one. So few people even know what it means to switch around software on a phone/tablet that even if the perfect software were out there somewhere it wouldn't matter. The demo *needs.to.be.perfect*.

osxsier

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
People with iPads laugh when they see your inferior tablet. Lack of flash? Who gives a crap, I can see any content I want out there without flash. If I really wanted too, I can jailbreak my iPad and install flash, but I found I dont need it. Only thing I use flash for was youtube. Between the Vivo app and youtube app, I dont need flash to drain my battery.

Secondly, who wants a laggy interface on their tablet. I guess some of you do in the name of being "different" Your different alright, but not in a good way o_O

Finally, the most developer support is for the Apple products. Love it or hate it, the bottom line is the best games and widest selection of application is available on the iPad. Until that changes, I dont see any of these tablets giving Apple a serious run for their money.

p.s. You look even more ignorant to sign up for a two year plan. Wonder how much that is going to cost you in the long run...suckers! lol

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I just don't understand the whole 'tablet' craze. There aren't any killer apps out yet that make it worth having. My cellphone (iPhone) does pretty much the same stuff that the iPad does. Tablets aren't even viable e-readers (backlit LCD). Tablets have been around for the last 10 years and still have no real mainstream uses. Maybe once Chrome OS comes out they'll be more compelling.

Chriscic

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
I'm skeptical of the sold 600k claim. Are those shipments, or actual sales to the consumer? My guess is the former, and that actual consumer sales are a heck of a lot less.

larrysimmons

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
reply to Chriscic:
Apple's shipments to resellers( non apple stores) are counted as sales also. What's good for the goose is good for the gander!

Status
Not open for further replies.