Samsung Keyboard issue

Oravbilka

Commendable
Oct 2, 2016
I have been having a pretty frustrating problem with my Samsung laptop for the past several months. Sometimes, the keyboard will become completely unresponsive. None of the individual keys work, and none of the key combinations work.

Nothing else seems to be affected, the mouse and touchpad work fine and I am able to run programs normally. I've contacted Microsoft (I'm running Windows 8.1), and Samsung, but neither have been able to help me get things running again.

I have noticed that it normally happens when playing games. It has happened while not playing anything, but only a couple of times. There does not seem to be any rhyme or reason to when the issue occurs, it seems to happen randomly. Also, if the keyboard shuts down while I'm pressing the button, the game will react like I am still holding the button down. The character will continue moving forward after I have let go of the key, for example.

I have also not Fed that the issue stops immediately if I log out of Windows. I don't even need to restart the computer for the keyboard to function again.

If someone has any idea of what the issue is, I would appreciate the help.

Solution
First try uninstalling the keyboard driver, then restart the computer (yes without reinstalling the driver) and when the computer restarts it should reinstall the needed driver itself.

If that doesn't fix your problem, try turning off the laptop, connect an external keyboard and then restart the laptop. Do you get the same issues when you try to do these things with the external keyboard? If it doesn't happen with the external keyboard, then the problem would be with your attached keyboard itself. It could be the whole thing, or only certain keys.
First try uninstalling the keyboard driver, then restart the computer (yes without reinstalling the driver) and when the computer restarts it should reinstall the needed driver itself.

If that doesn't fix your problem, try turning off the laptop, connect an external keyboard and then restart the laptop. Do you get the same issues when you try to do these things with the external keyboard? If it doesn't happen with the external keyboard, then the problem would be with your attached keyboard itself. It could be the whole thing, or only certain keys.

Solution

Oravbilka

Commendable
Oct 2, 2016

Actually, I did try your first option. The keyboard began functioning as soon as I uninstalled the driver for some reason. However, when I restarted the computer, the keyboard driver was completely missIng and I never got the option the reinstall it. I wound up having to roll the computer back in order to fix it.

I haven't tried an external keyboard yet. I think it will be my next step. Thanks for your advice!