Samsung laptop orange charging light blinking but not charging

Susan2

Commendable
Mar 19, 2016
I live in Cambodia and have about 34 degrees in my house. I was away 12 days and now the laptop first turned off from one second to the other and after restart does not charge anymore. It says: "plugged in, not charging" and the charging light is first time blinking. I saw a similar question in this forum but no real solution. My laptop is 1.5 years old and the battery worked fine before. Is it just the heat of the air?

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Start by doing a hard reboot, remove the battery and unplug the AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds the boot it back up and see if it will charge or not.
- If it will still not charge, test your charger if it's still functioning properly. Remove the battery off the laptop then boot it up with just the AC adapter connected.
- If it stays on that means the charger is okay, now while it's on put the battery back in and see if it will charge or not.
- Last troubleshooting step would be to uninstall/reinstall the "microsoft acpi-compliant control method battery" from Device Manager.
- If it will still not charge that means the battery is faulty already and replacing it would be the only solution.

Susan2

Commendable
Mar 19, 2016

Hi Latop_Nerd,
Thank you so much for your quick reply!
Before trying out your logical sequence of steps I had to do some urgent arrangements via e-banking and thanks to you could do it by taking out the battery and just using the a/c adapter (sorry, always thought the electricity must flow through the battery).
Now, before trying the battery to put in again, I have one big concern:
I recently learnt a lot about batteries (at BATREC, Switzerland, where they recycle all kinds of batteries and warned me about Lithium-Ion-Batteries which can explode). Since then I got very careful in the handling of batteries and would rather plug it in while the laptop is turned off. And I hesitate the more as I really think it got too hot in the closed house while I was away for two weeks. May be I really must replace it rather than do some experiments with it?
I really wonder why I cannot find any hint what the flashing orange/green light on a Samsung laptop means exactly...
Thanks to anybody who can give me further advice.

Susan2

Commendable
Mar 19, 2016
Hy KyleTheCat
I cannot find your answer here, just got an email with your feedback.
1. Thanks for your hint on Lithium Ion Batteries.
2. My case is indicated as SOLVED. Don't know who did this, I did not see where to do it and I thought, my answering and telling that the first answer I got helped me to at least run the laptop again, was clear enough. Moreover I wanted to leave it open as I still don't know what this blinking light stands for. After all, I had to replace the battery as nobody could tell me how to make it work again and why it failed in the first place.
Hope this will reach KyleTheCat.