Samsung plasma TV (PN58A550S1F) issues

underoath218

Estimable
Nov 21, 2015
First off, this is my first post (go easy on me lol) and I've searched but haven't seen the exact issues that I'm having compared to other plasma TV owners. I've seen things that are close to what I'm experiencing when I power my TV on, but not exactly how mine is behaving.

So, without further adieu, when I power on my plasma TV without anything else being on I don't have any issues. It just displays a no signal screen. It's when I turn on the DirecTV box right after turning on the TV that the issues start arising. I use a Harmony remote so it comes on tv first, then the DirecTV box, and then the surround sound. The "issues" are random, it seems, every time I turn the TV on after being off for a while. Sometimes I'll get wavy lines (sometimes green with other colors), where the background looks polarized, and sometimes I'll get that kind of screen with a loud noise akin to how an old tube TV sounds when it's on a dead channel. This usually happens with the TV cycling, or whatever it's called, for around 20-30 seconds. Sometimes I get no picture, the TV just keeps going through the cycling thing until a decent picture comes up. Again, it's never consistent.

Once the TV is on and the picture and audio are working like it should, I have no issues at all while watching TV for the remainder of the time the TV is on. Also, I've noticed that if I let the TV set on the No Signal screen and then a few minutes later turn on a device (DirecTV, blu-ray, etc.) it will come on with no problems. Sorry if this exact post has been on here before. Honestly, I searched the site since this isn't my first rodeo with dealing with forums, but I didn't see my exact issues detailed anywhere. I'm just trying to figure out exactly what the problem may be since I think I'm tech savvy enough to fix it myself. I've worked on laptops (Mac's and PC's), and other devices so I believe I am capable of fixing this myself if the price isn't too over the top. Sorry for the long first post. Any help would be appreciated.

From your description the only thing that comes to mind is that the HDMI "handshake" between your sources and TV is not working as it used to. That's why when the TV is already on and the source isn't the "handshake" happens but not when the source is on first. You could reprogram the remote to turn the TV on first.
It's possible that replacing the HDMI board would help. You can contact www.shopjimmy.com They sell replacement boards and may be able to help you troubleshoot the problem.

underoath218

Estimable
Nov 21, 2015

Thanks for the reply! I meant to reply yesterday but had a hectic afternoon. I will give it a shot. Makes sense also.