Samsung Promises Devices with Flexible Displays in 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Lets hope Apple doesn't patent flexible displays just like they patented the "slide to lock" before even using it in their trashy iPhone coffins. This looks like a promising technology. I am loving Samsung more and more.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
^ I have no idea what that means.

Anyway...yeah I don't care if it can play Crysis or not...I want it! Not sure if I want the whole entire phone to be flexible, though as long as the screen doesn't break easily, I'll be happy. Still waiting for that 8 MP phone with ICS installed @ release. Don't want to deal with an update in early 2012.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]xdonkeyx[/nom]Son Dam Bi FTW![/citation]

[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]^ I have no idea what that means.[/citation]

That was meant for the first comment. Probably should've quoted.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]Lets hope Apple doesn't patent flexible displays just like they patented the "slide to lock" before even using it in their trashy iPhone coffins. This looks like a promising technology. I am loving Samsung more and more.[/citation]
Apple haven't been developing this, have no patents for this and no plans to use this
So expect a lawsuit by the end of the week

santfu

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Technogiant if i could +1 you more than once i would.
Won't be long after surely. Samsung are a higher tier seller too so want large volumes (to get "economies of scale") so will be selling this tech to other manufacturers.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]technogiant[/nom]Never mind phones, I want viewing goggles with a curved screen wrapping around my field of view.[/citation]
They never said it will be used for phones. For phones the only advantage here is the thickness and the fact that is virtually unbreakable ... as for its bending capabilities .. it was way more uses in other appliances than phones, nobody will want a wobbly phone in their hands.

technogiant

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007
@Santfu....yeah, two curved screens split vertically down the middle, one for left eye and one for right would also be great for 3D.....viewing goggled like that would be truly awesome.

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
[citation][nom]technogiant[/nom]Never mind phones, I want viewing goggles with a curved screen wrapping around my field of view.[/citation]

never mind goggles, lenzes with flexible oled embedded :p

G

a monitor with 180 degrees view angle without the need to buy 3 monitors maybe this is possible finally.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Oh wow. I'm excited it to this in cellphones. I see the major benefits being shatter/damage resistant if you drop it, being thin and lightweight, and just showing off :D

drapacioli

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010
[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]They never said it will be used for phones. For phones the only advantage here is the thickness and the fact that is virtually unbreakable ... as for its bending capabilities .. it was way more uses in other appliances than phones, nobody will want a wobbly phone in their hands.[/citation]

True, how many times have you seen somebody's cell phone and noticed the entire screen is a cracked mess? This sort of technology may not allow phones to be flexible just yet, but it would allow the screen to be almost indestructible under drop conditions.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]__-_-_-__[/nom]this is not about flexibility. it's about the technology. it's way much more energy efficient and has a lot other applications. monitors and other devices can be transparent. Just imagine for example a mirror that at the same time displays information and that you can interact via touch screen.Imagine window glasses being built with transparent solar panels.It has so much potential. It's the future.[/citation]
Samsung also displayed a prototype of exactly what you described. A see through glass touchscreen monitor.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]That was meant for the first comment. Probably should've quoted.[/citation]
Haha, Son Dam Bi is the Korean singer for the 1st video shown on the article.

mrkdilkington

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
I don't want/need flexible or transparent displays.. I want an OLED computer monitor or an OLED in a laptop. Oh and if they're pentile, don't even bother making them.

ThisIsMe

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
How about contact lenses that give the wearer a form of heads-up display. Could be useful while driving a car, playing golf, hunting, playing cards in Vegas, running military ops, flying a plane, or well just about anything really. Although they could probably start out with the goggle/glasses idea first.

Status
Not open for further replies.