Samsung R700 Upgrade options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prmadmax

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Hi,

Just got a Samsung R700 and it has a 1.6Ghz processor (T5450 SLA4F) in it and was wondering if there are any upgrade options for this? Is there anything over 2Ghz that I can put in this?

Thanks, Mark

Solution
Samsung R700 review

Every R700-A003 listing I saw seems to have the same CPU.
There was a R700-A001 model that had the 8600M GS GPU and C2D 8100 2.1Ghz CPU. I just can't tell if they use the same MB or if the A003 used a different MB to save cost for a lower selling price.

No help from Google about others upgrading 700-A003s.

If you use the CPU-z program it will get you the specific details about the motherboard. The make and model of motherboard (probably not Samsung) could offer some clues. Look on the Mainboard tab.
CPU-z: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

I think you'll want to email Samsung and hope you get an answer from them.
Core 2 Duo Mobile T5450 @ CPU World

The chart at the bottom lists related CPUs in the same family and socket.

It's usually pretty certain that similar FSB, TDP, VCore and process size CPUs will work.
It will be the motherboard and it's included BIOS that determines the full range of CPUs can be used for upgrades (higher FSB, TDP, different VCores and smaller process, 45nm for example).

Have you checked with Samsung? Found any R700 forums where people talk about successful CPU upgrading?

scottiemedic

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
What is the exact model? A T5450 is a Merom chip, and you should be able to put most Merom's in there, but after the full model number, the chipset can be looked up. Have you tried Samsung's support site and see if it has a CPU compatibility list or if the BIOS downloads/faq lists what CPUs it can take?

Samsung R700 review

Every R700-A003 listing I saw seems to have the same CPU.
There was a R700-A001 model that had the 8600M GS GPU and C2D 8100 2.1Ghz CPU. I just can't tell if they use the same MB or if the A003 used a different MB to save cost for a lower selling price.

No help from Google about others upgrading 700-A003s.

If you use the CPU-z program it will get you the specific details about the motherboard. The make and model of motherboard (probably not Samsung) could offer some clues. Look on the Mainboard tab.
CPU-z: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

I think you'll want to email Samsung and hope you get an answer from them.

Solution

prmadmax

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Hi,

Got the laptop today. Actually better processor then it was listed as on ebay o_O

Only issue with it is that the battery refuses to charge.
I have had this in bits today to fix some other issues with it (loose cables etc).

When plugged in the charge light for the battery is a solid red - if I push the button on the battery with it switched on the following lights flash "20%, 60%, 100%"?! - Now I tried the static discharge and verified that the terminals are fine, The power connector in the back is fine also.

I'm thinking the battery just needs replacing but cannot find any indication as to what the lights on the battery mean...other then it must be dead? Windows shows a constant "0% available (plugged in, not charging)" (light flashing red/green at this point).

Hope from this detail someone can give advice, battery's for this are cheap so I might just buy a new one and cross fingers?

Is there a date on the battery? It should also have the tech-specs listed, ones you'll want to match.

You want to be careful with some of the budget battery replacement websites.
They'll try and sell you batteries that don't quite meet the same specs (and ones that might have been sitting on stock shelves for a while).

prmadmax

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

Agree, I'll order a new battery later tonight :)

Its amazing how cheap I got this laptop for £52! - seller listed as broken because of the battery issue and the screen flickered sometimes...turned out to be a loose cable which I found and repaired :)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130667667643

Info from CPUZ:

CPU Package: Socket P (478)
CPU Spec: Intel core 2 duo T8100 @ 2.1Ghz

Motherboard Manufact: Samsung
Motherboard Model: SR700

Chipset: Intel PM965
Southbright: Intel 82801HBM

prmadmax

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

No date. Just the model: AA-PB2NC6B (rev 1.1)

Status
Not open for further replies.