Samsung Says that There Will be a 7.85-inch iPad

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
Got my new iPad and all I can say to the folks that dislike Apple is "Good luck with that."

Something I don't quite understand is why, if Samsung is supplying these incredibly rich and awesome 2048x1536 panels to Apple why they didn't insist that they be able to use them in their own tablets as well. If a Galaxy Tab had had this kind of resolution/quality (before Apple) they'd have (had) an incredible winner. It makes a tremendous difference...anyone that says otherwise is in denial me thinks.

mcd023

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
[citation][nom]whysobluepandabear[/nom]I understand Samsung makes a lot of money from this, but after Apple suing them, I'd personally tell Apple to piss off. It's not impossible, but it's incredibly difficult to find another supplier that can keep up with that quantity of panels, let alone the quality from Samsung.[/citation]
I, too, am very surprised that Samsung still does so much business with them after Apple sued them so much. But, Billions of $ more than makes up for it.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]if Samsung is supplying these incredibly rich and awesome 2048x1536 panels to Apple why they didn't insist that they be able to use them in their own tablets as well[/citation]
Samsung would lose a few of those pixels when they trimmed them down to be proper widescreen, rather than the 4:3 aspect ratio used by the iPad.

bigbaconeater

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
[citation][nom]whysobluepandabear[/nom]I understand Samsung makes a lot of money from this, but after Apple suing them, I'd personally tell Apple to piss off. It's not impossible, but it's incredibly difficult to find another supplier that can keep up with that quantity of panels, let alone the quality from Samsung.[/citation]
I think Apple is giving them 7.8 billion reasons to remain their supplier.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Got my new iPad and all I can say to the folks that dislike Apple is "Good luck with that."Something I don't quite understand is why, if Samsung is supplying these incredibly rich and awesome 2048x1536 panels to Apple why they didn't insist that they be able to use them in their own tablets as well. If a Galaxy Tab had had this kind of resolution/quality (before Apple) they'd have (had) an incredible winner. It makes a tremendous difference...anyone that says otherwise is in denial me thinks.[/citation]

How do you like it. I went to the store this to find a 64gig one and it was sold out. Just had 16gig and 32gig 4g's left.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]It's harder for Samsung to find another customer who can buy at the level Apple can than it is for Apple to find another manufacturer. Apple has already diversified its supply base after the legal cases, just in case.It would hurt Samsung more than Apple if they moved away from supplying.[/citation]

They wont need to secure that supply, all the latest market research into tables and phones points towards lost market shares and that the fall will be steady. I would sell my Apple shares in a couple of months after the next wave of devices, after that everything indicates a steady decline. It would seem Apple is about to make the same mistake it did back in the days and it almost made em go bankrupt before the ipods that saved the company.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Samsung had $160B in total revenue in 2011. Lets say that projects to $168B for 2012. Losing $11B then works out to 6.5%.

To put that in perspective- if you make $40k per year, it's like losing $2600. Not the end of the world for most people, but maybe you're 'forced' to ditch cable because of it...

viciouz2000

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2011
plus im also sure its not good business practice to deny selling your merchandise to a rival company. Like fair trade, or price gouging, im assuming its illegal for samsung to refuse to sell to apple but they will sell to anyone else.

TheDane

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Halcyon[/nom]Got my new iPad and all I can say to the folks that dislike Apple is "Good luck with that."Something I don't quite understand is why, if Samsung is supplying these incredibly rich and awesome 2048x1536 panels to Apple why they didn't insist that they be able to use them in their own tablets as well. If a Galaxy Tab had had this kind of resolution/quality (before Apple) they'd have (had) an incredible winner. It makes a tremendous difference...anyone that says otherwise is in denial me thinks.[/citation]

Those who talks about showing of their photos on the "new" iPad must be those who use point-and-shoot cameras. They also tend to focus on resolution before IQ.

Maybe it is because there isn't much else to point at and say "It is so much more magical" this time?

If you want to see real improvement in display IQ look at SuperAMO LED. That made a tremendous difference when showing my photos to others - no other display out there that measures up to the black levels or colors.

I think Apple are aware of this and that the rumored 7.85" iPad will (as the Samsub 7.7 tab) have an SuperAMO LED display. And it will (of course) be "magical" - just like the 7.7 is today :)

motheninja

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2011
So many FUCKING imbeciles on here.

Its like this. Name a the most infamous 10" tablet. Its the iPad, its the device that pushes out the highest sales number. Now Apple needs $7-$9 BILLION worth of screens just from Samsung. What about the Macbook SSD's? Those are Samsung. My point is the business conducted, makes Apple one of Samsung's top customers. Should Apple, stop buying displays from Samsung, to whom will Samsung sell 40 million displays? Sony? nope, they can build their own displays for their tablet. Amazon? Well they don't make a big tablet. Asus? Maybe, if they could sell that many, which is NO. So that leaves Apple. Samsung has far more to lose than Apple should Samsung tell Apple to fuck off.

silver565

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Samsung should tell them to ah heck off. If they did, Apple would collapse for a little while. Can you imagine how long it would take them to find a new supplier, and then get them up to speed?

G

It's not Samsung that hates Apple, it's the Samsung fans that hate Apple.

Status
Not open for further replies.