Samsung Shows All-new Galaxy S II Android 2.3

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
I've had Kies Air for a bit of time now. Not really used it (not got a use for it), but it's there on Samsung Apps if people want to download it.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]amk09[/nom]I really like it but it looks a lot like the iphone[/citation]

All phones look alike, large touchscreens, on screen keyboards, one or two navigational buttons. It's hard to make a smartphone that differentiates from this style that still conforms to known smartphone best design practices.

noyb

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
I will never buy another Samsung product. We were promised 2.2 by shortly after Galaxy S Epic was released. Then it was September, then November, then by the end of the year, now by the end of Feb...2.3 now has been out for 2 months and we're still not on 2.2...Still the GPS is inaccurate, that is IF it works at all...we cannot load apps because of the 2.2 and soon to be 2.3 requirement. Poor, poor support. Nice phone but poor support.

The point being if you like it fine, but don't expect an update from Samsung or the Carrier or any support for it. They just want your money then your on your own. Caveat Emptor

G

I wonder if this can listen to Voice mail over blue tooth, I have the Sprint Epic and it can not. I also wonder if it will work with the accessories sold for it like the Samsung dock that can not stream audio over blue tooth. I wonder how well the GPS works on this thing. Judging by their performance with the first Galaxy S here in the USA I have a lot of questions.... I will never buy another Samsung phone because they don't support their devices. After 6 months in with this device it looks as if their going to EOL with it. Froyo has been put on hold and may never be released, buyer beware! HTC has much better software support.

G

Another disappointed Samsung customer. The hardware always seems nice but the software is rubbish. The GPS is completely unusable, lots of pauses and hangs due to Samsung's dog slow custom filesystem RFS and there is still no 2.2 update? I think I'll be looking elsewhere for future android phones.

Wolvan

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
Aye, while I love my Samsung Epic on Sprint, I'm getting really pissed about the lack of Android 2.2 OS. The phone has been out since August, I've had mine since late November and they keep promising but fail to deliver 2.2

I very much doubt my next phone will be a Samsung due to the slow / never upgrades on the operating system.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
How about coming out with 2.2 for the current Galaxy S owners?

Samsung, you piss off you CURRENT owners, we'll NOT RECOMMEND future products to anyone.

I do NOT recommend buying a Samsung because your SUPPORT in the phone department SUCKS. KIES doesn't work worth a crap... will the Kies AIR work on GalaxyS-1 phones? Does it work at all? Kies is useless crap. Windows7 can't even talk to the stupid phone as a flash drive even, thats HOW MUCH YOU SUCK.

The current 4" screen phones are already LARGE.... and now your making it bigger still? How about keeping the 4" size, making the phone a bit thicker so it feels better in the hand and have a larger battery. Holding a thin piece of plastic to your head is NOT comfortable.

kj3639

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
Unveiling the brand new model while deliberately neglecting your current model base is a bit of a slap in the face. To current Galaxy S users, just root your phone. Samsung is horrible with optimizing software for phones. Even if you wait for the 2.2 update (Whenever that actually comes out) you still have to deal with Samsungs RFS file system and Sprint bloatware (Does anybody care about Sprint Nascar?) I rooted my Galaxy S Epic a week ago. GPS suddenly works, phone response time is much improved and all that bloatware is gone. Android phones were meant to be rooted.

G

I got screwed up by samsung with SUPER SPEC high end product i8910!!!! Problem with their OS, firmware and support. Very embarrassing to have a high spec hardware that runs slower BECAUSE of Samsung's CULTURE of no software / OS / firmware support for SOLD product. ONCE you buy, don't wait for updates but wait for another NEW model from Samsung and BUY AGAIN!!!!!!!

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Give Samsung some time, and their software support will improve. They only have so many man power. You can't expect them to run 100% like Nokia or Motorola who have long history in this market.

seigejet

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
Are some of you purposefully stupid or just accidentally. Don't blame Samsung why your phone is on Eclair instead of Froyo, blame the carrier. The Galaxy S has been on Froyo internationally already and more recently on T-Mobile.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
it's still android, it sucks when it comes to security...iOS is much more secure and it has a lot less bloatware...this is why i've become to hate my android phone....i can't stand it, just deal with it until the new iphone comes out

theroguex

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
[citation][nom]NeBuN[/nom]it's still android, it sucks when it comes to security...iOS is much more secure and it has a lot less bloatware...this is why i've become to hate my android phone....i can't stand it, just deal with it until the new iphone comes out[/citation]

Ahahahaha. You know that someone can SSH into iOS and steal all the stored passwords and sensitive information off of it, right? Yeah, totally secure.

sentico

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
To all you tards...STOP BLAMING SAMSUNG FOR YOUR LACK OF FROYO!

Most of the blame should go to your carriers! They are supposed to push it out! They are currently stripping features and adding bloatware to your update, if they ever release it at all!

@NeBuN, iOS is the least secure of all! theroquex only pointed out the latest security issue with iOS. You probably don't even have an Android phone.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
OKay... then we need to create a group... a UNION of phone owners against the carriers for NOT coming out with updates that makes the damn products work!

Samsung COULD have a generic 2.2 ROM out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS