Samsung smart tv home theater setup question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turvok01

Estimable
Jul 18, 2014
I just bought a new Samsung smart tv and want to hook it up to my 7.1 system. I am trying to decide the best way to go about doing that. My previous tv was hooked up via an HDMI out of my receiver with all peripherals running into the receiver. I want to take advantage of the smart tv capabilities such as voice recognition channel changing and the smart remote. Will I need to run optical out in order to do this or can my receiver still act as the central switching hub?

Solution
Some TV's allow the HDMI cable to pass the audio from the TV, it's usually refered to audio return channel or HDMI ARC. My roomie has his tv/receiver setup this way. The receiver is a central hub for the pc, bluray, cable, and the receiver itself and strips all the audio and pass the video to the TV. But when he's watching a smart TV feature like netflix, or streaming from the network, the receiver isn't used for video, but the TV still sends all the audio from the stream/network video to the receiver.
Some TV's allow the HDMI cable to pass the audio from the TV, it's usually refered to audio return channel or HDMI ARC. My roomie has his tv/receiver setup this way. The receiver is a central hub for the pc, bluray, cable, and the receiver itself and strips all the audio and pass the video to the TV. But when he's watching a smart TV feature like netflix, or streaming from the network, the receiver isn't used for video, but the TV still sends all the audio from the stream/network video to the receiver.

Solution

Turvok01

Estimable
Jul 18, 2014
Thank you. My tv and my receiver both are ARC capable. I can get everything to work except when I try to push audio from the smart tv feature (some 3d program it's streaming). I have the Anynet+ turned on and the HDMI control on my receiver turned on. What am I missing to make Netflix push sound to my receiver?

teddykgbv703

Estimable
Nov 7, 2014

Make sure you are using the HDMI input that is marked ARC. On my Samsung, it is HDMI2 but it may be different based on Model. I wasn't getting sound from my receiver for Smart TV Apps until I switched to HDMI2 (ARC). Now I can play Smart TV content and use the receiver for audio.

optimoz

Estimable
May 26, 2015
My amplifier is located on a different floor of the house and 20m away from TV. I opted for the HDMI Extender option (OCTAVA extender) with just a CAT6E cable, 3.5mm audio cable and satellite cable running from amp to tv area; HDMI connects at both ends of Cat 6 to tv and amp (in hindsight and regrettably, a decent 20m HDMI cable would have sufficed and done the job)

The problem I am faced with is I am unable to pass back sound to my amp reeceiver/connected speakers whenever I play movies or music via the TV smart hub, youtube, netflix. In the past, a direct HDMI connection between my amp and TV with ARC functionality worked for this (amp switches automatically to mode ’ TV/CD’ where I can hear the sound playback. However as the OCTAVA extender does not support ARC although has HDMI-CEC, I am unable to get any sound back via amp.

Running a new digital optical cable or new HDMI cable would be impossible due to the way the walls were built although I do have a spare 5m HDMI cable running from the TV to another area in the house, still a distance away from amp.

Any idea on options to consider in getting the sound back from tv to amp.

HDMI extender with ARC capability?
Wireless sound transmitter to amp?

Zansaab

Estimable
Jun 5, 2015
Had similar issue with Pioneer and LG TV. Solution is to not to connect any HDMI but only one HDMI connecting Receiver output to TV ARC. Make sure ARC is on for receiver and TV. Receiver is set on TV mode. Unplug receiver for a minute, plug it back and it should work.

limosun

Estimable
Jul 22, 2015

Had the same problem. Found out that i connected the LED to the home Theater from the wrong HDMI port. Look for a port on your LED marked (ARC). Solved my problem

Heinyml

Estimable
Aug 8, 2015

Zansaab- I have a similar setup (LG/pioneer) and used your solution and it worked great.....however my receiver makes me turn on CEC when I use ARC. That means that every time I switch to or from smart tv apps my receiver automatically switches to "TV/SAT" input which might be one of the most frustrating features ever. Do you have a solution for this? Do you have the same problem?

Supertolete

Estimable
Nov 11, 2015

All you need is connect the AUDIO OUT from your tv to the AUDIO IN on your receiver. What I did was connectet an optical cable from my smart tv optical AUDIO OUT to my receiver optical tv in. Then select that port on your receiver ( NOT the hdmi port ) to watch tv and netflix with audio from your receiver.
Good luck!

olmate

Estimable
Mar 29, 2015
I had the problem with the sound with samsung apps, its an easy fix

1- run the hdmi arc cable from tv to receiver arc
2- run hdmi from cable/foxtel box to hdmi on the tv....not receiver

jordanl91

Commendable
Feb 24, 2016

i went through my history just to find this make an account and reply. I went with the optical cable only to stumble on and extremely more satisfying solution! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoGeeyS_ELQ it just so happens to be a onkyo device setting! Thanks guys and good luck!!

lisa4auburn

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016

lisa4auburn

Commendable
Feb 27, 2016
I have a Yamaha RX-V675 receiver and just purchased a Samsung Series 7 Smart TV. I was having the same problem. Here is how I solved the problem. In the "tools" setting on the TV change the speaker setting to "optical". You will need to use an optical cable to run from the optical port on the "one hub mini" to the TV optical port on the back of the receiver. The HDMI cable from the "one hub mini " needs to be in the HDMI ARC port to the back of the receiver. To listen to the Smart function on the TV change the input to AV4 on the receiver.

Aricanderson

Commendable
Jul 12, 2016

Is it possible to install a samsung soundbar between the receiver and tv??? The soundbar has a hdmi input and output

Albert_34

Commendable
Sep 19, 2016

I do this exact thing, but only get 2.0 audio channels.....not surround on Netflix. From what I've heard, Netflix got rid of 5.1 surround sound with SmartTV apps.

mathis43

Commendable
Oct 22, 2016

Know im really late, but I had this same issue. When you want to use a smart hub app like the tv's built in Netflix/amazon/Hulu app and get audio from your receiver, you have to change the source on your Samsung TV to "TV"(as if you were trying to watch an analog signal, you should just see static on the screen) AND the source on your receiver to TV (sometimes TV/CD). After you switch your source to TV, open up one of the apps and make sure that your receiver has ARC enabled as well as selecting the hdmi receiver as your speaker on the Samsung tv. This has been the only method that has worked for me but I get Dolby digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1 every time with this method.

Status
Not open for further replies.