Samsung Smart TV won't stay connected to WIFI network (UN55ES8000)

gk7211

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017
I bought the TV in 2012 but never used the Smart Hub much in the beginning. A couple years ago I got a Netflix account and it worked just fine. Then a few months ago, I got an Amazon Prime account and at first it worked fine but lately it's not working correctly. Every time I want to use the Smart Hub, I must re-enter the PW to reconnect to my wifi network. It will usually then work for but for different lengths of time. Sometimes 30 minutes, sometimes longer but it will eventually freeze and the network PW needs to be re-entered to reconnect to the network. And on those times when it doesn't work at all, I have to turn the set off, disconnect the power cord, then start over. The Smart Hub/Amazon Prime works just fine if i connect an Ethernet cable to the TV but that's not a preferred mode of operation for me. Any ideas what I can do?

howw far is your wireless router from the TV I have a 32 from Samsung and found after 2 years of usage from my daughter they seem to loose the ability to keep connected, I put a Wifi repeater by her r tv and it solved her issue, maybe it is time to get one yourself

I got teh R210, plug tv into it let the extender do the wifi thing. https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Extender-Gigabit-Ethernet-RE210/dp/B00TQD2BYK

gk7211

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017

gk7211

Commendable
Jan 8, 2017
Thanks, The Paladin. My Router is perhaps 15 feet away through the house. TV on the first floor in the family room; router on the second. Two laptops, smart phones and visitor's game systems all work fine from this location. You might have the answer. I've temporarily run a 100' Ethernet cable between the router and TV an it's rock solid for hours. The wife is OK with that for a short test but not long term so I have to do something.
Any Samsung fix will cost much more than the wifi repeater. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Svante_2

Prominent
Jun 12, 2017

We had issues with when watching Netflix, it disconnected after 5 minutes of watching.

Tried everything, reseting smarthub, reinstalling Netflix, factory reset The tv, nothing worked.

Solution to our problem was the router, more specificly the UPNP setting
Ours had been disabled in the latest router update
After reenabling the UPNP setting everything started working again

n80the43rd

Prominent
Oct 12, 2017
I bought my first what TV a free weeks ago, Samsung, found that it wouldn't stay connected and found this thread.

The solution that worked for me was to create a guest network on my router and only connect the TV. I didn't previously use the feature on my Netgear router. I named the guest net "TV" and made a pass that is easy to type with the remote, just in case. I hid the SSID of the guest net, and my TV has not disconnected once.

My previous attempt to assign a specific IP address had no effect. So try a net, such as a guest net, with no other devices. I've specifically not connected any further devices to the guest net, don't want to push my luck.

amy.m.herzog

Prominent
Jan 2, 2018
I've been having similar problems with my 2014 UN48H6350. After spending a long time speaking with a customer service rep, we've got it back up and running (for now), but I wanted to pass along what I've learned to others who are struggling. My negative experience started after an automatic software update when the TV would only sporadically connect to wifi, and the rep confirmed that there are known software issues with this particular model. I was told the engineers are working on a fix that will upgrade automatically if you check in with Samsung customer service. The main issue seems to be with the Smart Hub which is glitching out. Other tips that helped stabilize my connection in the meantime: use a 2.4G connection, not 5G (this made a definite difference). Enter 8888 or 8444 as the DNS in IP settings. If the Smart Hub freezes with an error message that the Hub is updating (but never does), enter the Samsung Apps app directly (it's the blue tile on the Smart Hub) and that can kick the update into gear. The problems have been annoying but the customer service was great. Fingers crossed....

oh Thank you for that... I did notice it works better under 2.4 versus 5Ghz. But my daughter is on Hulu all the time and it pauses like there is no tomorrow
so I reinstated the wired solution permanently on her Samsung, and voila no more issues, as for the one in our bedroom it is an older model and I never use smarthud on it, its is my watch movies on it, and I did set it to 2.4 and seems to have solve the issue for it for the time being.

RickyO

Honorable
Oct 26, 2016

It's now January 2018, and having the same problems you had a year ago. I'm having it on models UN55FH6200TXZA and UN46H5203AFXZA. Called Samsung support and that was totally useless. First they tried to blow me off with some nonsense and then when I pressed, they finally listened. I replaced my old(er) ASUS router with a new one (AC3100) to increase range and add AC. It improved some, but with a couple of Samsung auto upgrades to the TVs, it all went south again. Tried to reset to factory settings but don't know what the access code is. Have one set on 5G the other on 2.4; doesn't seem to make any difference. Noteworthy is how slow the internal processing has been in all three Samsung sets we have. Wonder what primative processing/BIOS Samsung uses. Support person told me they use Bizen OS. It's getting to the point where my accumulated time just isn't worth screwing with these sets anymore. Anyone have any input on whether SONY sets are of any better operational quality??? Also, anyone know what the default 4-character code is to log in to do a reset???

reset code for factory reset, have you tried "0000"?
ref: http://www.samsung.com/au/support/skp/faq/1039433

BTW I have and LG and 2 Samsung, the LG is smooth as butter and I will buy another one when the Samsung is dead, I was considering getting one of those computer usb devices and override the Samsung smarthub completely, but not entirely sure it would actually help. I just think there should be a way to replace the Bizend OS or what ever they are using with something else, its all android/Linux os anywyas

rickyo2

Prominent
Jan 7, 2018

We purchased three Samsungs four years ago when we bought a different house. The one that is failing is the one that was used 90% of the time. I spent another two hours on it last night and have come to the conclusion it's just failing and in this case I believe it's in an area of network ops and what I believe is terrible programming in updates. Not worth having repaired only to still have four year old technology and just have the next weakest part(s) fail. Looking like four years was the life of this set. To the recycler it goes this week.

I'm researching a replacement, and yesterday looked at Sony. The local BB store had the 900 but not the 930 or 940, but given this issue with the Samsungs, I'm taking the research quite seriously. Would like an OLED, but just not in the budget for now. Anyone have any input on the Sonys???

mokey434

Prominent
Jan 26, 2018
I've been trying for years to solve the same problem with my Samsung "smart" (ha) TV. I actually have two Samsung TVs, and the one in my bedroom works fine for the most part. The one in my living room, however, loses internet connection frequently when I'm trying to watch Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc. I've spent much time on the phone with Samsung reps, to no avail. I am, unfortunately, not well versed on technical issues. I could pay someone to come in and try one of the solutions outlined above. But I question why it is my responsibility to fix a problem that is obviously a glitch in a product that Samsung put on the market and I paid good money for? Shouldn't the onus be on Samsung to fix this?

luck33ro

Prominent
Dec 18, 2017

No one try my solution? Its working 100%.... take care on the steps so u wont destroy OS - u will go in blue service menu there

mokey434

Prominent
Jan 26, 2018

I tried to do the factory reset a few times via the youtube directions, and was unsuccessful. It did not take me to a menu to reset everything, but just turned the power off when I pressed "Power" at the end. I also tried resetting it manually by getting to that menu and typing in the code (I can't remember what it was - 8's and 0's or something), with no difference at all.

Feb 12, 2018
I saw this solution on another thread and thought I would respond that this really worked for me! I too was losing wifi connection many times per day, ever since purchasing the TV. Now I have gone days without losing connection. Simply disable the IPv6 protocol and reset network connection. Here are the steps:

1. Go into settings
2. General
3. Network
4. Expert Settings
5. IP remote disable
     IPv6 - Uncheck (no blue dot)

6. Exit and reset network settings
7. enter login information
8. Enjoy your TV

For more technical explanation - I think if your wifi router is more than a year or 2 old, then it will not know about the newer IPv6 protocol and will want to use the IPv4 protocol. By disabling IPv6 on your smart tv, it will revert to use the IPv4 protocol which should work. This was the case with my setup.

Mar 8, 2018

Mar 8, 2018
Hello!
I was having the same problem with connectivity. I basically did a soft reset by keep pressing the power button until the light started blinking on the TV. The TV turned back on and the words "SMART TV" appeared on the screen. I then pressed the home button, settings, then network and then "wireless". It gave me a choice of networks with my home wireless network as the first choice. I selected it and typed my password and voila internet was connected. If its still not connected then make sure that you're IP settings are set on " automatically detect". Hope that helps you