Samsung to Unveil Cute-as-a-button 5-inch Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

winterblade

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
Might be an interesting Ice Cream Sandwich experiment, but I think that the future is something more like the Asus MeMo... until someone invents a size-changing display.

G

Have the 5inch Dell Streak - love the size. Works great as a phone, yet still make browsing bearable. Great in between size. I am sure it in not for everyone, but I will take a little more size to get the better browsing experience and NOT have to have two devices to carry.

limpman

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
finally dellstreak competitor.....i'm really happy to heard samsung going to release 5 inch mobile wid netbook.i'm dellstreak user from year i really loved it all in one phone plus netbook and fit in your pocket.but one thing i'm pissed by dellstreak is every time it shut off by battery cover even little move.i hope samsing is not like that.if samsung make same slim as dell streak then i'm sold to samsung....

limpman

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
finally dellstreak competitor.....i'm really happy to heard samsung going to release 5 inch mobile wid netbook.i'm dellstreak user from year i really loved it all in one phone plus netbook and fit in your pocket.but one thing i'm pissed by dellstreak is every time it shut off by battery cover even little move.i hope samsing is not like that.if samsung make same slim as dell streak then i'm sold to samsung....

G

A very large phone, indeed. I believe anything bigger than 4" is too much for a phone...

CyberAngel

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
7"+7" with haptic "keyboard" on the lower LCD is my ideal...or maybe 6,5" size?
As long as I can stuff it inside my suit pocket to compensate my wallet on the other side

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]spookie[/nom]it can't be called a tablet IMO it's just a large phone[/citation]
Unless it has no phone capabilities, then what would you call it?

It's like 13-inch NETbooks. I mean really, just because it has an Atom processor doesn't make it a netbook, it makes it a really crappy notebook. Netbooks were popular because they were cheap and portable (i.e. small). Tablets are rising in popularity for the same reasons, even though most tablets are more expensive than a more capable netbook, go figure (touch-screen netbooks would have solved this issue, in fact, I'd dare say an Atom-based tablet would really be a keyboard-less netbook, yikes, it's getting really confusing now).

So yeah, if it makes calls, call it a smartphone. If it doesn't make calls, I guess it's a Pocket-Tablet (TM)?

joebob2000

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2006
We have seen it demonstrated that it's not the size of the screen that makes a phone "too big", it's the size of the chassis. If the chassis is just an extra 1 or 2 mm around the 5.3" screen and that's all the phone is, then no it wont be too big. If it has a thick bezel all the way around like the rest of the Galaxy Tabs have had, then yes it will be way too big.

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
My EVO is a 4.3? I would love to have a phone with a 5 inch display, but it would have to have NO BEZEL, most of these devices have insane bezels.....The Tab and the Pad need to loose about 2 inches on each side of waisted bezel space.

G

5.3 inches is too small.
I wish Samsung would simply upgrade its combined 7 inch tablet & phone to a higher performance version than the current one?
Its the perfect sized screen for business - not too big and not too small and the phone is essential. Don't want to carry both a phone and a tablet separately.

jgutz2006

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
I would have to say that i love my Evo screen and now my Evo3d screen size. Could i use a little more screen? sure i could if it maintained a 16x9 or 16x10 aspect ratio. But more importantly if i'm getting a screen an inch larger, i hope the resolution gets a bump otherwise i'll keep the smaller screen. Also if the increased screen size allows the mfg to squeeze in a couple hundred mAh for increased battery life, say somewhere between my phone and the 10 hour tablets would be totally worth while

Status
Not open for further replies.