Solved! Samsung TV to Sony AV receiver issue.

Feb 25, 2018
I finally made the leap to 4K. Its great and all but the hassle with setting up the TV with my receiver is an endless Joke!
My older LG smart TV had no issues connecting to my receiver. Now down to the issues.
Firstly on my older TV I had a single optical cable to the receiver. So all hdmi connections were going to the TV.
I replicated the exact same setup on my new Samsung TV and the problems have been endless.
1. Using only a single optical cable from the TV was fine but every time I wanted to watch something that was DTS or DD I had to manually change this in the sound settings. I never had to do this on my LG, used to just change automatically as the TV would just passthrough all audio to the receiver. This clearly doesn't happen with Samsung Tv's.
2. When using just an optical cable with the Samsung you also lose the ability to control sound with the TV remote.
3. So I then thought I'd just have to sacrifice an input on the TV and try feeding the audio through the HDMI arc input. No I have had real trouble getting the TV to recognise the receiver, when I go through the initial setup of the TV it asks you to power on any connected devices so they can become discoverable. It displays connected for the Bt box, ps4 etc. But the receiver hdmi interface just shows 'please power on the device' unplug the HDMI and it disappears completely. So the TV is recognising something is connected but not fully. I also tried a different cable in case it what bad. Still the same.
4. To even get the option to pass sound through HDMI I had to unplug the optical cable from the TV and only then the option for HDMI audio appeared. Selected hdmi for audio and guess what, no sound! I had to plug the optical cable back in to the TV to get sound over hdmi?? But on the AV display the audio is showing as optical when the TV is set to Hdmi, this makes no sense at all.
5. After all that I can finally control the volume with the TV remote but I still have the original issue, I have to change the audio type on the TV for what ever the source is DD or DTS.
6. Now this is another issue after choosing HDMI audio on the TV, if I play something via one of the Apps, Plex in this case and exit the app. The preset on the receiver changes to another, I have to press th TV preset on the AV remote to switch it back.

It really shouldnt be this difficult to hook a receiver up to a TV. I'm really regretting going with Samsung now.
I'm open to any suggestions...

Receiver is Sony DH-800
TV is Samsung UE50MU6120K (latest firmware)

Solution
I han an lg tv prior to my sharp aquos .that also had not a single issue passing dolby audio from external hdmi sources connected to the tv through to the receiver via optical.

My newer sharp did no such thing , its a feature that has been removed from a lit of newer tv's from all maufacturers.

That str-dh800 is old now .
While it has hdmi inputs it has no ARC support which is really what you need.
I han an lg tv prior to my sharp aquos .that also had not a single issue passing dolby audio from external hdmi sources connected to the tv through to the receiver via optical.

My newer sharp did no such thing , its a feature that has been removed from a lit of newer tv's from all maufacturers.

That str-dh800 is old now .
While it has hdmi inputs it has no ARC support which is really what you need.

Solution