Samsung TV won't connect to 3D glasses over bluetooth

strker

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017
I have a Samsung Smart TV (UN46D8000YF) whose internal Bluetooth module has died. I would replace the module, but it has a well known short life span (2-3 years at best). The 3D glasses communicate with the TV over Bluetooth. I'm pretty sure the Bluetooth version used in the set is 2.1. I have an available USB port on the set. Can I use a USB 2.1 adapter and have my 3D glasses pair and operate through it?

strker

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017
Thanks for the reply! I was afraid the lack of a driver might be the deal killer for using an external adapter. I believe your analysis is probably correct. I am quickly becoming unenthusiastic with the "Smart TV" concept. Can't update hardware or software. Probably have bought my last of this type of TV. Too much money to invest in a device whose hardware/software is locked-in on the day it is built. Thanks again.

strker

Prominent
Nov 12, 2017
I did go ahead and buy two Bluetooth modules (I'll have one for a backup). I replaced the failed module and the Bluetooth connectivity returned. It took me a little over 2 hours to do the replacement, however, I do go slowly and take extra care so that I do not mess something else up. Now that I know how to do it and what to expect, I could accomplish this same job in 30-45 minutes. All I needed was a philips head screwdriver (about 18 screws to remove from the metal back panel and black plastic shroud on the back side of the set) and a thin-bladded screwdriver to assist in prying the plastic shroud off the back. The Bluetooth module was screwed on to the plastic shroud. If your facing the front of the TV, the Bluetooth module is located at the bottom of the set about 4 inches in from the lower right corner of the TV.