Samsung TVs Injecting Ads in Owners' Videos

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
I'm seeing a pattern of Samsung bias from Marshall Honorof on these recent TV articles. There's always an excuse he gives for Samsung. I don't know if he's just a Samsung fanboy, but its getting old.

On recouping costs through advertisement, because poor Samsung isn't making any money from TV apps like Netflix, is not a compelling reason to insert ads. Remember, those apps are developed, not by Samsung, but by the service providers. Samsung has virtually zero cost in allowing the apps to run on their TV's. In fact, they certainly charge Netflix, Hulu and other companies a hefty fee to include them in a premium home space. Samsung is making money hand over fist with these fees.

These ads are simply a new revenue stream to increase profits. They aren't "balancing" any costs with them.
+1 for you.

People have been trying to make money on nothing probably since the dawn of monetary systems.

When voice mail was first introduced by telephone companies, you could get the standard package, or you could pay an extra fee for more message storage. What the telephone company was not telling you was that they did not run out and buy more hard drives just because you wanted to be able to store more VM messages in your inbox. In other words, to allow you to store extra messages, it cost the phone company nothing. It was a pure profit "add on" for them.

I've got an HTPC, and my TV is simply its display. Even if I have to buy a smart TV in the future because that is all that is available, it will still be display only.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
So if you enable Yahoo ads in the settings menu you are displayed ads.
Where they expecting to not get ads with displaying ads being enabled?

I would also opt out of Microsoft ads and Google ads if given the option.
There is a difference between getting ads when you are running say Hulu and getting ads when you are watching your OWN MEDIA. That latter thing is outrageous in the extreme.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
"This seems to be caused by an error, ..."

Is it just me or does that read kinda odd? An error isn't a cause,
it's just a description of an event...

Ian.

InvalidError

Distinguished

I think a coding error or mistake qualifies as an error rather than an event since the error is there regardless of whether it can be triggered. Sometimes, it takes years or even decades for someone to stumble on a sequence of events that will trigger a bug.

Status
Not open for further replies.