Samsung vs TCL

Viralology

Estimable
Sep 30, 2015
Hello, I am looking to buy a 4k tv and I just can’t pick and decided to head to the forums to ask for some help. I have a limit of 500 dollars. Would prefer the 450 dollar mark.

Task: I love watching movies in the best quality as possible. Sadly I am college student and can’t seem to find the money for a 3500 dollar tv, so 500 will have to do. I also have a ps4 pro that I occasionally play but mostly single player games so no intense first person shooters or anything like that. I also already have a JBL sound bar surround system so sound is no problem.

Types: the two TVs I’ve been looking into are the new 7-series UHD Samsung series and the new 5 series TCL. Can’t seem to decide which one to get. The two models I’m looking at are the

TCL - 49" Class - LED - 5 Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR Roku TV - $400

And the

Samsung - 50" Class - LED - NU7100 Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K UHD TV with HDR - $470

The main reason why this is up for debate is because I wanna know which is better. I feel like in this situation Samsung is like Apple. You pay for the brand type of deal, but is the Samsung panel better than the TCL? I am also open to any options and am willing to go for a 43 inch panel if needed.

delaro

Distinguished
Samsung NU7100 Series

Contrast Ratio: ~5000:1 "Good"
Local Dimming: Poor
Viewing Angle: ~32° ""Average"
Color Gamut: Good
Response Time: ~25 ms "Average"
Gaming Mode Input Lag: ~20 ms "Good"
24P Playback:No

TCL -Series 5
Contrast Ratio: ~6000:1 "Great"
Local Dimming: Below Average
Viewing Angle: ~18° "Poor"
Color Gamut: Great
Response Time: ~16 ms "Good"
Gaming Mode Input Lag: ~19 ms "Great"
24P Playback: Yes @ 60p,60i
ROKU built it

Overall the TCL is slightly better if you don't mind the smaller viewing angle, both units have poor Local dimming and HDR brightness which are both common issues on lower end 4K TV's.