Samsung's 5-inch Galaxy Wi-Fi Tablet Launched

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
A 3" one on the way?
WTF?
I assume this will be targeted at anyone who doesn't already have a smartphone, which begs the question, if you don't have a smartphone already why would you get this and not a smartphone?
Surely there are smartphones with a 3" screens or bigger, running Gingerbread, that can be bought contract free and just don't put a sim card in them, that cost less than this tablet.

ava__

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
[citation][nom]Common Sense[/nom]No, it won't kill the iPod touch. Any moron could tell you that. This thing will be forgotten in a month.[/citation]

you just told us.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
i have a use for a ipod touch or an android alternative, but i need the cost to be in the 100$ range before i get it.

i have barcode scanning applications that i want to use. and other code readers, but not for over 100$

outlw6669

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]Well, its competition for the iPod Touch...and that's a good thing. ...but I wonder how many people in the market for either an iPod Touch or this will choose this.[/citation]
That depends.
If the 5" model has a micro SD slot it will be a hell of a deal, relative to the iPod touch at least.

Keep in mind, Europe usually has their toys over priced when looking at the €/£ to $ conversion.
If it is released in the states, I would expect it to start around $220ish.

brookheather

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
This has been out for a while - it is not just available - you can buy the "Samsung Galaxy S Wifi 5 Inch 8GB" on Amazon for £185. There are reviews from early September.

jungleboogiemonster

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2007
I have the 5" and I love the thing. It's small enough that it can be carried in a pocket, although big enough you won't want to carry it there all the time. However, the larger screen makes a HUGE difference in usability, especially when it comes to the on screen keyboard. The big downside? Price. Although the price listed in the article is less than the original msrp was rumored at being, it's still too much.

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]A 3" one on the way?WTF?I assume this will be targeted at anyone who doesn't already have a smartphone, which begs the question, if you don't have a smartphone already why would you get this and not a smartphone?...Surely there are smartphones with a 3" screens or bigger, running Gingerbread, that can be bought contract free and just don't put a sim card in them, that cost less than this tablet.[/citation]
you're not bound by a 2yr contract for ~$100/month, same reason why the ipod/pad exist

subaru41

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
It looks like the end of the iPod touch, except for the isheep that have never tried a different device because they are in love with Apple. They love how Apple bends them over and screws them from behind everytime they buy any of there over priced products.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]subaru41[/nom]It looks like the end of the iPod touch, except for the isheep that have never tried a different device because they are in love with Apple. They love how Apple bends them over and screws them from behind everytime they buy any of there over priced products.[/citation]

Why? The iPod is already in it's 4th generation - some may have bought some software for it (like VPN/SSH apps, games, etc) so why on earth would they scrap there iPod for this? Personally, along with the fact that most of my acquaintances have iPods/iPads and we can use facetime to chat, I can see no reason to get this.

G

Really it is a form factor thing. My wife's Kindle fire just arrived and is very nice but is hard for me to carry as a guy. This fits in a pocket or belt pack and is still bigger and easier to read than her Ipod touch for email and web browsing. I am fine with $250 range cost but hate having to buy data package from a cell company at $20-30 a month when wifi is really all I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.