Samsung's E-Book Reader Lets You Draw on It

Status
Not open for further replies.

kravmaga

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2009
EMR is the patented technology the expensive wacom tablets use and licenses for tablet PCs that need battery-less pens.
To say that it increases the precision from using fingers on a touchscreen is as much of an understatement as saying that it will increase the price of the device.

G

Ebook readers you can draw on have been around for a while now (Iliad).

G

"Still, for that price, you might as well buy a netbook or laptop and get more meat for your money."

Show mw a netbook weighing less tan a pound where I can read a couple of hours a day for a week or three without recharging then I'll replace my ebook reader instantly.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
How about a pure touchscreen "ePaper" display that you can attach to a laptop or netbook and connect via USB and/or perhaps even via bluetooth?

The contents and navigation controls of say Adobe Reader, FireFox, Mp3 player, and so on could then be rerouted to this panel.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
I came up with the "ePaper" display solution because there will always be some obscure document format that an eBook reader never will support. Looka at the portable media players out there; how many of them supports Flac, Ape, Musepack or even Ogg? Not many. The interface and the rendering of the displayed content will most likely be sluggish due to circuitry that is adapted for long battery life on the expense of performance. Most laptops are not as convenient as a book in terms of weight and size, and a TN laptop display is not really known to be friendly to read text on.

So the simplest solution is to let the eReader take advantage of the computational power of a nearby laptop or stationary computer, and merely use it as a touch screen with the advantages of being lightweight and readable as a newspaper in broad daylight.

Status
Not open for further replies.