Samsung's Rugged Phone has 67-days of Standby

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
[citation][nom]doomsdaydave11[/nom]Wow 67 days on standby. It's amazing that a phone can maintain its battery when its... not using power.[/citation]
Unless you manually turn off your cell phone when finished talking (and thus forfeiting the option of receiving incoming calls), it's running all the time. How else do you think you get incoming calls?

G

As an outdoorsman I can't take my iPhone or Android phone with me and the work crackberry stays home too. The reception is bad, and the battery will die within a day of any maps usage.. if you get a signal. Sure 90% of consumers don't need great reception and won't go a day without a charger or usb port. But that other 10% REALLY NEED IT ... to the point of being a life or death situation.

Lewis57

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2009
This sounds good, I've been avoiding smartphones as I haven't a need, so just a phone that can last 67 days on standby is great as I always forget to charge my phone.

apoq

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
Sounds pretty good, but what I do not understand is why in the name of God, when producing a rugged handset they still stick with the annoying menu with crappy colored icons and such? Why not go all the way and have a very simple but understandable text based menu? I'm pretty sure the guys who are going to buy this are not going to do it for its possibility of choosing the background between the 10 that are bundled with it. I'm getting the nasty impression that although Samsung can come up with some pretty sweet ideas, they always fall short of actually delivering on them.

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]doomsdaydave11[/nom]Wow 67 days on standby. It's amazing that a phone can maintain its battery when its... not using power.[/citation]

Stand by time is not powered off time. It still uses the battery in stand by and quite frequently.

JimmiG

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2008
[citation][nom]tsnorquist[/nom]I'm not sold on the fact of *needing* a smart phone. Sure, they're cool to text on, surf the web, and view videos. But I just can't justify the monthly plan rates right now.[/citation]

Well, you don't really need expensive "unlimited" data plans. Battery life will limit how much you can use anyway... plus you don't want to stare at the small 3-4" screen for hours on end watching streaming video anyway. For news, use RSS feeds, and visit the mobile versions of websites when available. For streaming audio, choose low-bitrate AAC. It sounds fine considering the background noise in the city. I've only used about 45MB this week on my HTC Desire. Just get a cheap plan with 1GB or 5GB a month for maybe $8 - 12.

I'm surprised it's not a clamshell design though. My Samsung X160 didn't have a scratch on the screen after 4 years of use. But I suppose then you'd have to worry about the hinges breaking off instead. I bought a case for my smartphone the day I got it. Never pocket it without that.

G

I wonder if this will be released in Asia (philippines) because I need one.

Xstang

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
Any idea when this phone is set to come out in the US? Would really like to have something like this.

It reminds me a great deal of the motorola i530 from some time ago.

tygrus

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2005
67 days standby only when close to phone tower. Travel with a small solar charger that can charge your phone when beyond the trees. What is the battery spec for volts and miliampere-hours (mAh)?

Status
Not open for further replies.