SanDisk Copy Error -The directory or file cannot be created.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tom5002

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Yeh i would i havent been here in ages, if the option of fat32 isnt avaliable its cause ur disk is to large but fat or 16 will work just fine

tom5002

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
bsten, format erasers the drive but there is some software avaliable to recover the data, best to save it elsewhere before

tom5002

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
i was kicked off here for a previous post regarding v3x that's why i couldn't respond till well now but i came back from the dead and saw people were grateful so im back in black!

jin4131

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
the root folder solution worked for me.
at first i tried formatting it, no use, reformat again, didn't work either. i even went back to the store and replaced the mp4 with a new one, hehe it seems they didn't know it was that easy to solve

rakesh_soni31

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
my ployer mini mp3 player has the same problem '' the directory or file can not be created. i dont know what happened but all songs are gone from mp3player.now what to do ? is formatting can solve the problem ? if yes then after formatting there is any need of loading any softwares or programmes to run my mp3 player ? plz help me its urgent

R4DSMicro

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
Hi, I need to format my MicroSD card for my R4DS.

Problem is, no matter what I do, the max size will just be reduced from 2 GB to 1.83 GB!
I need ALL space on it, what can I do?

Thanks!

G

Thank you, thank you! After having this problem I googled "'' the directory or file can not be created." This forum was first on the list. Your suggestion fixed the problem.

krasnirex

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2009
for those who cant set format to fat32:
1-Turn on ur device
2-Go to settings
3-Look for USB mode
4-Set USB mode to MSC
now u can format ur device and set fat32

maryannks

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009

Worked very very well! But I had to uninstall a software, USB SAFELY REMOVE first, because it kept on removing the card reader and so the format wouldn't complete. After uninstalling USB Safely Remove, I did Tom5002's solution, reinstalled USB Safely Remove, and am very very happy now. I copy a lot of ebooks and audiobooks and songs and would get frustrated when copying stops at only around 400mb, when the capacity is 2gb. I am glad this was the first forum when i googled the problem,, ,,

G

Did a little research as i was a little confused whether i should format as fat32 or if i should put files in a folder instead of on root folder. Just wanna clear this up to anyone who was wondering.

Either one works, it's just that fat (fat16) has a certain amount of entries you can put in the root folder. Fat32 gets rid of this problem, so you could either keep the FAT16 and just put all your stuff in folders, or format to fat32 and put files in root. FAT32 is better though if you can because it allocates disk space better.

Here's an article that sums it all up, gives further definition if i didn't explain it.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc940351.aspx

grahamrobb

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009

Hi Tom. It just says FAT32 and I cant delete or change .There is nothing in the drop down

grahamrobb

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
I may have asked for the wrong info....Here is my problem
Bought a new car which has a USB plug
I have put music on to memory stik
When I go to play it in the car it just says FORMAT
There is onlyFAT32 in the dropdown on the computer.
HELP HELP

simmer_44

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Thanks for the help krasnirex!! The problem for me was that mine was set to "auto" instead of msc. I would have thought that would have worked but does not. So for others before formatting, check the settings/usb menu and make sure it is set to msc. I'm betting this will do away with the device is disconnected error, when trying to add music.

Thanks again!

TJCatte

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
All I have to say is "bless you"! I have spent the entire weekend trying to get photos on a digital picture frame with failure after failure. I had formatted the memory several times, but not the fat 32, just the default, fat! The fat 32 worked, and now I can wrap Grandpa's photo frame! THANK YOU!

drg158

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Why would SanDisk sell their products like this? It was frustrating as hell but thanks to tom5002 I've regained my sanity.

Skyrunner

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
You would think that the Picture Frame makers might put something like this in their documentation. I didn't see any but it could have been there. I was up all night working on Grandmas pictures and this worked like a charm on both a 1 gig and 2 gig SD card.

k-ren

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2009
Just wanted to note I had same problem as others. Could not get SD card reformat; very frustrating! The root would only allow me to copy 350 files. I created 1 folder and put all my pics there, transferred fine - and my photo frame recognized the folder on the card and began to display the pics. I'm using a Phillips brand frame.

G

For those who are facing the so called " cannot create directory or file " , i have found solution at lease for my case - the problem is you cannot save or create a new folder or file in your flash or usb so you can only save in any existing folder that you have created before or the second option is to copy the file to the desktop and then manually copy or cut the file to any existing folder in the usb .....haha viola it works for me until the usb space becomes full
so save the headache of formating and reformating and all the long ways it takes

Status
Not open for further replies.