SanDisk Copy Error -The directory or file cannot be created.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

The real problem must be that the name of the file is too long.right click on in and rename it.That was the problem on my Sansa Clip.It worked just fine for me

G

This is not the problem i have my problem is that its not copying its doing nothing just saying copying. help me Now!!!!.

G

Guys im having a problem with my MP3 Player When I copy my music it just says copying it does not copy it just stays like that. GUYS HELP ME

Duh_FeelLikeATechNow

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
Yepp! That seems to do it tom5002!

I too was one of those guys suffering a bit with a Creative Nuvo 2gb'er with that damned error message:

"cannot copy " " : The directory or file cannot be created."

I almost gave up 'till I too BINGed [since I assumed it was a Windows related issue] the error message.. yours was the first hit - and a smart answer..

So I formatted the gadget in FAT32 [there's a drop down - at least in XP Pro there is: FAT or FAT 32].

So outta 2gb's, I'm now gettin' 1.88 Gb.. whereas before I could only get like 800mb or so.. [used 1.22gb, 677mb free]

Makes sense! I just realized that my Canon camera has the ability to format an SD card before you start taking pix!

Duh!

Again - THANKS!

anabw

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2010
Thanks so much for the "so easy" answer, I copied all files to a directory on my computer hardrive, then formated the flash drive, and copied all files back no problem, got my full flash drive space back, and all is well. AnA

muja

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010

muja

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010

The beloved techies,
Yes i too face the same problem of copying the MP3 files in to my usb drive.
Error"files or directory cannot be created" X number of files in root :\ cannot be copied in FAT(file alloation table) technology, so format the flash drive and make the file systems as FAT 32 and then start copying the x number of files. Even u can create the folder but when it comes to devices where the files play in a slide mode u have to go for FAT32 / NFTS files systems.
for more updated get in touch....

Thanks,
Md.S.Mujahed.Aly
Riyadh,KSA.

Dremorain

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2010
The reason you can't add more files is that it's out of filename slots (for lack of a better word), just move what ever files onto the computer, make a folder, move them into it, and move them back to the flash drive. And there you go. :p

G

i tried to copy songs on my memory card using card reader. but it shows: CANNOT COPY FILE. I/O ERROR.

msjeannie

Distinguished
May 22, 2010

You are right on. I was trying to put jpg's on my sandisk and then even on to a usb drive. But even though there was a ton of storage left, I couldn't write any more. "cannot copy abc.jpg: the directory or ifle cannot be created." So I created several folders and was able to put everything I needed on it.

mp3 neo-phyte

Distinguished
May 30, 2010
I have been trying and trying to add files to mp3 and getting stupid "cannot create file or directory" when loading mp3. With great fear and trepidation i took advise of re-formatting mp3 player knowing full well everthing will be wiped off of it. I did it and it works wonderfull!! Thank you so much!!!!

Marlene Shann

craftyalice

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
This is a fascinating thread that came up on my Google Search. Tom5002 was right about FAT32, it worked, but unfortunately not in my Pure DMX50 - it saw the SD card as empty. Back to the drawing board...reformatted it back to FAT...back to the same error message. Made a new folder, it took the rest of the files OK but I'm not sure yet if DMX can see the folder, I've so many files on!

G

hi i av a digital camera i can not get my pic on my computer the memory card show that i av no pic and theirs an error, i dnt want to lose my pictures. is their any way were i can get my pic what can i do?

ninedislaanh247

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010

you seemed to help so many people out i was wondering if you could help fix my problem?
My Cd player in my car has a usb port that i can plug my sansa clip into when i plug it in it comes on and says no song but there is over 100 songs on the clip and it plays fine. It worked in my car before but I can't figure out why it's not working anymore, it's been a long time since i used it last. Is there a possible way i could be loading the music wrong? I can't thinkg of any reason for it not to be working. please help me!

not a rap fan

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010

one should not do something nice to get something back. people help people because that's the right thing to do

karl ranks

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Hi, This is what I did and was able to add more files to the USB.
The Sandisk USB has a Document folder which has four sub folders.
1 download
2 music
3 pictures
4 videos
The existing music files on my USB was all under the Document folder.
After doubleclicking on the Document folder to show the sub-folders, I then drag and drop some of the music files already on the usb disk into the music folder. I was immediately able to add more music files to the USB.

Try this instead of formatting the usb drive.

GOOD LUCK!

KARL RANKS.

dkyakusse

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011
GUYZ FIRST DELETE THE FILES, CREATE A NEW FOLDER AND THEN COPY TO THE NEWLY CREATED FOLDER...................VERY SIMPLE

Dennis

tom5002

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006

Check the formats supported by the cd player for usb playback. Most likely you have the worng format and will need to convert your songs to that supported format.

Another reason, your cd player may be looking in the wrong folder of the usb device. The usb could have subfolders that you need to tell it to play from.

Status
Not open for further replies.